Everyday sexism

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by James R, Dec 7, 2020.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Interesting point.

I have certainly observed, in the world of work, that a woman is more likely to be honest when she cannot answer with certainty, while a man may pretend he knows, to avoid what he sees as the failure implied in admitting doubt or lack of knowledge. But that's a generalisation, and those are no substitute for knowing the individual.

wegs likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes I read your comments, post 12. Perhaps I may have been drawing a long bow? So why don't we both stop drawing long bows James?
    I believe I have responded to all your general remarks...
    Anyway to sum it up...
    [1] I certainly do not see the " Perhaps It's a female Alien: Can't make up her mind" statement from me, in context with the jocular fashion of the rest of that thread as sexist.
    [2] I certainly do not see addressing any female as Love, or any female addressing me as Love, in the contexts I have mentioned as sexual or demeaning what so ever.
    [3] Yes, I treat women differently, because they are different.
    [4] I treat them all with respect governed of course by the way people treat me.
    [5] Casual banter exists and is in the vast majority of cases, harmless and without any intention of sexualisation in any way shape or form.
    Does that suffice?
    A presumptious remark if there ever was one.
    And again, you would be demonstrably wrong James. In fact I probably have more respect for wegsy and her approach then most others.
    Wrong again James. I have as I said total respect for her and simply did not want to get into a tooing and froing debate which I'm having with you anyway. Oh, and I also have not replied to others...Dave for instance, other then the one reply...why? Dave is another I respect whole heartedly, even though he is slightly mistaken on this issue and siding with yourself.
    Agreed, but I'm not one of them. And as I have just said to wegs, they will always be around...always!! The same as we will always have all types of arseholes, male and female infesting the planet...did anyone really believe we could ever have a President of the USA like Trump for example?

My Son is thankfully very much like me... responsible and respectful and stands for no nonsense and bullying. I taught him that as a kid, in a great example I have quoted on this forum in the past, but which I wont go into again.

That's about all I deem to be worthy of a response James, unless you have anything more?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Hmm, I'm guilty of smiling at women if they are pretty. The trouble is the older I get the prettier they seem. The good news is I'm so old that I am not seen as in any way threatening, so quite often they smile back. Which makes my day.

DaveC426913 and sculptor like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I do that constantly, with both men and women. Technically a sexist act???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

C'mon Dave, how far are we going to take such extremes?

And actually what exchemist said up there!!

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Not if it's flirting it ain't.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Well, you answered my question above - what motivates you to call women you don’t know “babe.”

Now let’s see if paddoboy answers the question. lol

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I think every occasion is different - but I hesitate to criticize every gesture a man makes to benefit me, as a perceived slight due to my gender. There are nice people in the world and sometimes, we should just celebrate that without reading too much into it.

Most men on this forum seem smart enough to understand what patronizing looks like - so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you were just being kind.

Random acts of kindness are nice to see.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    paddoboy likes this.
  11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You can call me anything you like, except late for dinner!

I wouldn't even see it as being friendly...It's used by both sexes in passing and that's it...gone, forgotten, no second thought wahtso ever.
    Did you take it in context with the total jovial nature of the thread it was taken from.
    That's because I see you as generally unbiased [despite some disgreement on this issue] fair, reasonable, and cool, calm and collected.
    The argument from the woman in my encounter, wasn't an argument as such...more a appreciative surprise that such courtesy was still around in this day and age.

I was always taught as a kid going to a disciplinarian Catholic school, stand up for a lady on public transport.

12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Yeh, my mom taught me the same thing.,
    and then
    One fine day circa 1977, riding the elevated/subway in Chicago---heading for the university. A tall woman got on carrying two bags
    so
    I began to stand up while offered her my seat
    and then
    she went ballistic demanding of me if i thought she was crippled, and calling me a chauvinistic sexist pig
    ok
    she is standing over me and screaming at me and i am feeling really uncomfortable(maybe a little frightened)
    At the next stop, an old man got on and I stood up and offered him my seat---he said thank you and sat down.
    Ok, so now, I'm trying to retreat---moving to the other end of the car---and she was following me berating me all the time
    eeek---oh nooooooo
    so
    at the next stop, I got off
    It wasn't my stop, but another train would be coming along in a few minutes
    what the hell was she doing?
    could that have been her idea of foreplay?

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Could we quite with personal anecdotal evidence from before I was born?

14. sculptor Valued Senior Member

no babe

15. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Well then let me rephrase it:

16. sculptor Valued Senior Member

and the answer remains
    no babe
    and
    did you mean "quit" ?

17. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yes, wait, no...

sculptor likes this.
  18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I would have told her what to do, in no uncertain terms I'm afraid.

19. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Well, why not?

And you gotta have a clue I was responding to more than just you in this thread.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You are kidding, right?

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sure! I don't use babe, never have. Or honey. and havn't in my experience heard others including women use it. Maybe a case of " horses for courses" not sure, but listening to the story, appears to be another passing by/throw away line one may use from either gender.
    Nothing motivates me using " love" it just happens as used in passing, and I'm pretty sure the same sense/feeling exists when the opposite sex use it, no second thoughts or feelings of sexual inuendo whatsoever.

Taking our discussion further, it's simply in reality another form of PC, and much PC can be taken way far. eg: When I was employed by QANTAS, an edict from top management came down a few years ago, that manholes were not to be called manholes anymore...

The union and first line management told the powers that be to go get stuffed. We continued to call them manholes...sometimes access holes but never person holes!

22. sculptor Valued Senior Member

well
    that makes one of us

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

A fully paid up member of the Choir of The Church of the Perpetual I Am Offended Brigade
    Sub Branch I Am Insulted You Think I Am Less Than You By Offering Me Your Seat

And don't give me some bullshit about being chivalrous you are trying to lord it over me

sculptor likes this.