Everyday sexism

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by James R, Dec 7, 2020.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Access holes seems like a pretty good compromise.

Here's a problem in my field: There's a serial bus standard called SPI. (Serial Peripheral Interface.) It's at least 30 years old and is used on a great many small devices. There are four basic signals: CS (or SS) CLK, MISO and MOSI. CS is chip select ,CLK is clock, MISO is master in slave out, MOSI is master out slave in.

You can probably see the problem right away. No good solution there since there are at least 30 years worth of schematics, data sheets, specifications and application notes using that terminology.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Might find this of interest unless already checked

alternatives might include:

• agency and operatives
    • captain and conscripts
    • master and masons
    • hive and drones
    • schemer and patsies
    • primary and replicas
    • scripture and prophets
    https://www-theserverside-com.cdn.a...erminology-alternatives-you-can-use-right-now

I can't see the two I highlighted flying.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''Maintenance holes'' ?

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/24/..., having found,on official maps and documents.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Your thread here has taken some twists and turns, but he answered it. lol

He doesn't see anything wrong with it, and from his explanation, it would seem that this is ''normal'' behavior in his world. It's interesting, because I'm not familiar with slang and such in Australia, but you're from Australia, and it doesn't seem common for you to refer to women as 'love,' etc. But, I've stated my opinions, and I'll leave you to it.

(I'm not gossiping about paddoboy here, I meant to reply to your comments, earlier.)

Exactly.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  8. gmilam Valued Senior Member

And I know people who would say the same thing about the word "nigger"... They are also redneck jerks.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. And they would be the first to say "Look, I am NOT RACIST! Black people call each other that. Are THEY racist? I've been using it all my life. People would have told me if it was offensive. People use it all the time down here! We're not communists who ban free speech." Etc etc.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Point me towards one study that shows that women are less decisive than men.

Also, you forgot to tell me what you think.

If you're unable to answer the question, you're in no position to criticise me on the grounds that you have (which are invalid in any case).

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Nothing to do with slang wegs...James is in Melbourne, the rainy capital of Victoria

and I'm In Sydney, the capital of the greatest state NSW.
    James simply adheres to pc taken too far imo.
    Other examples...we have had movements and suggestions schools should not mention Christmas and rather talk of holiday time so as not to offend Muslims...suggestions re councils cease with carols for the same reasons, some that claim ANZAC day should be abolished because its a glorification of war.It's not of course...it's a day where we remember [or should remember] the many that went to war and never came back and probably many more that slip my mind at this time.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11...crabb-political-correctness-analysis/11742380

More than two-thirds of Australians believe that political correctness has "gone too far" and that their fellow citizens are too easily offended.

This disapproval of political correctness is a majority view across all age groups, according to the nationally-representative Australia Talks National Survey. It is also a majority view for all income brackets, for both men and women, across white and non-white Australians and in all states and territories.

That said, the older you are, the whiter you are, the male-r, the poorer and less educated, the more likely you are to feel strongly about this, the data shows.

Among recent immigrants, for example, frustration is only felt by a slender majority — 53 per cent — while among immigrants who arrived more than 10 years ago, it's the strongest, at 69 per cent. Among people born in this country, 68 per cent agree that political correctness has gone too far...

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Bring back the

Wogs

Spicks

Poms

DaveC426913 likes this.
  13. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's always true. In the 1970's people thought racial equality had gone way too far when blacks started marrying whites. In the 1980's people thought tolerance had gone way too far when rock stars started dressing like women. In the 1990's people thought political correctness had gone way too far when "faggot" and "homo" became offensive and people couldn't use such "harmless" words any more. In the 2000's people thought that letting gays marry would destroy traditional marriages.

There will always be a large groups of people who want to cling to the past, where "their" attitudes about race, sex, gender, orientation, race and religion were the norm. But time moves on, and inexorably it moves towards more freedoms and more rights - even if older people are offended by the "political correctness" that entails.

14. Thus Spoke Registered Senior Member

Indecisiveness was higher among women (M = 28.82, SD = 6.78) than men (M = 24.91, SD = 5.59)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886904002387

I think that we think of them as being more indecisive because we perceive them as weak, as less than, lacking boldness, courage and self-confidence.

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Who is “we?” ^^

16. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Great abstract! Didn't subscribe to read the article though.

Would you say to your daughter: even if you're right no one will believe you because you're a girl?

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Well I would consider myself as in the older group

My view on PC is the PC brigade pick low hanging fruit in their own back yard and us older are REQUIRED to use the new terminology

Currently we have copycat BLM in Australia imported from America which is a racist set up to loot and plunder

The language changers don't solve problems, just call it something else

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. That's how every generation feels.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Nigger was a term originally meant to offend.
    Any reference to that? I was married in 1976 to a wonderful Fijian Lady.
    I'm generally not a fan of music from and beyond the 80's anyway, other then one or two perhaps...the way they dressed? Didn't bother me in the least.
    Faggot and homo were always meant to be offensive, at least here in Australia.
    Yeah! remember that well! Didn't bother me at all, other then the new PC that started to raise its ugly head, when something akin to "How's your Wife? or how's your husband? instead of how's your partner? That's another PC item that doesn't apply to me. eg: If I ask a newly aquired friend, how's your wife, and he replies, "Oh, I'm gay, my partner is Bill, I'll simply reply, Öh sorry, my mistake, and laugh it off...both of us hopefully.
    Not in my case. I judge everything on its merits from my point of view. Gays don't offend me, never have. [I have another story illustrating that too

]Non whites have never offended me, [I have quite a few indigenous friends...genuine indigeneous friends!

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not according to the people who used it. They thought it was just fine. "It's not meant to offend! I use it to refer to the darkies. They never said anything about it. And they call THEMSELVES that name!"
    The Supreme Court did not make interracial marriage until 1967. Until they did it was illegal in a dozen US states.

In the 1980's a couple tried to get an apartment in Michigan. They were told "I don't rent to coloreds. I definitely don't rent to mixed couples."

In 1974, an interracial couple in Mississippi (the Rossignols) had to get married at night after local officials tried to stop them because they were not the same race. But they searched and searched and found a priest willing to marry them at night, outside, where no one would see.

As recently as last year, a man was arrested for stabbing and killing black men. From the Daily News: "Prosecutors said Jackson hated black men, especially those who dated white women."

It's gotten a lot better since the 1970's - but it's still around.
    I am not saying you believe these things. I am saying that every single generation laments how political correctness has run amok. You do it. Your parents did it. Your kids will do it. And it all stems from the basic premise that "things were fine when I was young; all these changes are just going overboard!"

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

While I am not in, or a citizen of the USA, somehow I doubt that the word was not originally meant as an insult.
    All totally abhorrent stories, and I don't doubt you for a minute. And we in Australia would have similar stories.
    The point is that I'm all for progress, and the elimination of man's short comings and evil. And I can certainly see where you are coming from.
    That though does not change the fact that the word "love" used in the context that I have listed, is harmless everyday banter.
    Call me pig-headed if you like, it's part of the vocabulary and is a word that was not invented to offend...like nigger.
    And the thing I mentioned did happen to a friend of mine...he asked someone he had just met, about his wife...the bloke was gay, and my mate said sorry and they both laughed it off. Does that mean we must all now ask others "how's your partner?" and never under pain of death [yes I'm drawing a long bow] ask how is your wife or husband?

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Both nice everyday alternative terminology for manholes!
    But please don't hang me for using the term manhole cover, or the silly necessity of a great airline, coming down with a silly edict that was laughed to oblivion!

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

And again so were those other examples I used.
    You don't have to do anything that you don't want to. But if you don't know they are married - perhaps ask first? And if you don't know their gender, yes, it might make sense to ask how their partner is.