Everyday sexism

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by James R, Dec 7, 2020.

1. gmilam Valued Senior Member

What a bogus argument. The casual use of insulting sexist comments is at the heart of the problem. This is why little boys grow up thinking it's OK to insult their sisters.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

One final comment before I leave this thread to James and all my other good friends

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That female Alien comment needs to be taken in perspective Dave. Go back to where it originated from and the conversation that we were having. Irrespective though jokes and such banter also exist [as I have shown] with men as the " scapegoat"
    Anyway I'll take James advice finally and leave this to those that feel like making hay.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Someone you have called "love" who doesn't see you as a love. It's a way to minimize women, by pointing out that their value is dependent on their value in a relationship.

James R likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sorry billvon, arse up...It was an Ambulance Office that addressed me as Love. But yes I also often use the phrase and will continue.
    Ooops, sorry I'm out of here!!!

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

If he calls all women "balls and chains?" Then yes.
    If he calls his wife that? That's up to the two of them. It would certainly imply disrespect, but that's up to the two of them to work out.

exchemist likes this.
  9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Of course it is. Referring to black people as "boy" is racist even if you use it every day in casual banter - and even if no one tells you they are offended. And even if other people do it too.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Sorry, that is sexist too. By definition.

Analogously it's not OK to claim "I'm allowed to call Afro-Americans the n-word because I just as often call white people honkies."

Racism is racism, just as sexism is sexism.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Women over the centuries, have largely been taught to laugh off comments from men, whether strangers or otherwise. We’re supposed to just let men call us whatever they like, lest we appear rude or prudish.

That said, I’ve “known” you from our conversations on here for a few years paddoboy, and while you don’t offend me per se, I can see where a stranger might take your “love” comments as sexist. Why use any term at all when talking to strangers of the opposite sex?

Just curious.

As an aside, I think that the term misogyny often gets interchanged with sexism. When I think of the term misogyny, I think of Jeffrey Epstein or Harvey Weinstein, men who were intimidated by women and felt disdain towards them. Misogynists have a desire to hurt women - all women - they have a difficult time seeing women as being good for anything other than baby making and serving them. Sexists may see women as the “weaker sex,” but they don’t have a disdain or hatred of women. If they do, I would classify them as misogynists. Although, sexist men can discriminate against women for jobs etc and so the damage can be just as bad.

There are some commonalities between the two terms. But misogyny seems incurable for want of a better word, where sexists might be able to change?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

But that's the point wegs, they don't and never have...and as I have pointed out many times, I am also addressed by women as Love...nothing personal by them I assure you, most are a lot younger then this old fart

The Ambulance officers are an example. wegs this is common banter by both sexes...its said without a second thought because a second thought is not needed!
    Sure sexism exists, and from where I sit/stand, its more applicable to the younger brigade then old farts like myself.
    And sure it should be stamped out catagorically.

Apologies anyway, I was going to stay out of this, damn!!

13. sculptor Valued Senior Member

babe
    once that word was ok
    then it wasn't
    then, now, it's ok again
    (I ain't completely confused yet---but, I am working on it)

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

You don't know that. It's just as possible (probably more likely) that they think "oh great, another one of those guys. I'll just smile and nod; not worth it to escalate this."
    I was once peripherally involved with a local volunteer fire department. (Had a friend who volunteered, and I was around pretty often.) They were some of the most sexist, racist people I've ever met. But when they were down drinking in the basement, and talking about the "hot sluts" they saw that day while on duty, no one ever said anything. (Other than to talk about which one they would 'do.') So as far as they were concerned, they weren't being sexist. And the (few) women there knew to keep their mouths shut lest they be labeled "stuck up" and excluded from that very insular community.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes I do fucking know that! It's a continuing many times a day, seven days a week proposition. Sorry, you [and james] could not be further from the truth.
    That's your problem, don't infer that on our Ambulance staff, and two female ones to boot.
    Again apologies, it appears I'm easily provoked...out of here again. damn!!!

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

From memory it was common and from one lady I know, for ladies to call men love

I still get called love. Am I now required to act offended because some twat has reclassified language to suit their whatever?

Not going to happen

paddoboy likes this.
  17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Read the opening post. This thread is not about what you do in your real life in your own hometown where you're face-to-face with people who know you.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Of course not. Don't be silly.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I read the OP Dave, and I know exactly what my female Alien comment in context with the rest of the post was meant and about. It was a joke!! Do you tell Irish jokes dave? I tell them and love them...particularly as they come from an Irish mate on most occasions.
    damn, damn again!! I'm out again!!

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

Black people put up with being called "boy" for DECADES. Does that make it OK to do it today?
    Not my problem at all. It was theirs - then and now.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. You don't need to be offended by anything if you don't want to.

I'd still advise you not to call black people "boy." Even if you're not offended by that.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Thing, is your comment was not about Aliens; it was actually about women. It didn't make fun of aliens; it made fun of women.

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This is a litmus test I learned a long time ago. Whenever you are writing something that has the word 'women' and/or 'men' in it, substitute the words 'blacks' and 'whites' and see if you'd still post it.

A man asks, “God, why did you make blacks so beautiful?” God responded, ”So you would love them.” The man asks, “But God, why did you make blacks so dumb?” God replied, “So they would love you.”

It's a little easier to see how offensive it is, isn't it? That's because you have become aware of pervasive racism, but you have not yet become aware of pervasive sexism.