Resources For Learning About The Jewish People and Judaism

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mmatt9876, May 1, 2017.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

Ata boy
    We all believe in science (nature is science ) but not all believe in spirituality, and those who don't believe in spirituality are Athists

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I am open to the idea but for now I am happy being Christian. My parents want me to stay Roman Catholic. I have an interest in the Jews and Judaism but I am not ready to make the switch yet.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Changing my religion to Judaism or becoming atheist is anxiety provoking for me because it is such a big change in beliefs. I am just not ready to make those big decisions yet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I have decided I am going to remain Roman Catholic.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's just god atheists don't believe in, not spirituality.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Don't they have Wikipedia in your country?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

mmatt9876 likes this.
  10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The Roman Catholic Church is the largest Christian organization on Earth. More than half of the Christian population on Earth are Catholics. There are entire countries in which it's the only religion with a large number of members.
    You mean like, for example, the entire Old Testament?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Thanks! I should have thought of that.

12. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Wow! I did not know the Catholic faith comprised more than half of all Christians on Earth! I know there are many different Christian faiths such as the Protestant faith.

So the Old Testament and the Jewish religious texts, I believe they are called the Torah, are just like each other, just in different languages.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I suspect that the largest Christian country on Earth, in which Catholicism is not the majority religion, would be Russia. Most of their people are Eastern Orthodox.
    Protestantism is hardly a single "faith." You've got the Anglicans, the Greek Orthodox, the Mormons, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Presbyterians, the Quakers, the Baptists, and dozens more, right here in the USA. There are plenty of others in the other Christian countries.
    Indeed. However, the Old Testament has been translated into dozens of languages--just like the New Testament. You can read the Bible in Farsi, Punjabi, Chinese, Korean, Cherokee, Hindi, Japanese, Tibetan, Navajo, Malay, Tagalog and just about every one of the African languages.

14. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I believe the Roman Catholic faith is very popular in Europe and the Americas. Is the Roman Catholic faith very popular in Africa and Asia too? Is the Roman Catholic faith one of the oldest Christian faiths?

15. timojin Valued Senior Member

You are un undecided person, attempting to join a club. Faith is not a club as to who is older or more popular. Faith is some that have to come from within yourself, ask God to enlighten you.
    Now for your information as I said before Roman Catholic is a combination of religious groups during Constantin period in the Roman empire 330 AD, Christianis started about 33 AD , Judaism about 1500 BC
    Buddhism about 700- BC

mmatt9876 likes this.
  16. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the wisdom and info.

17. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I find spirituality is a good thing because it gives you positive feelings and motivated you to do good things for yourself and others. You do not need to be religious to be spiritual and feel a connection to God because faith is a personal thing and it should not be required to follow a certain set of beliefs and rules if you do not want to view or follow things that way.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You do not need to be "spiritual", whatever that means, to have positive feelings and be motivated to do good.

19. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I agree. Spirituality just helps.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why? What is it?

21. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I think the psychological connection you feel to God, be it real or imagined, simply makes you feel happy and feel like you are a good person and as a result motivates you to do good for yourself and others.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Are you so fragile that you need to believe a falsehood to feel good? Why not just be a good person and feel motivated from that?

23. birch Valued Senior Member

exactly. otherwise, it's not genuine and it's not your own effort. the thing is you don't grow internally and honestly if you rely upon (even if it's imagined) another to do good. i can see where a person may take some comfort in the idea that there may be something good out there who cares for them but as far as that being the only motive to do/be good yourself is actually disingenuous. you should like/love to do/be good for it's own sake. it should be your own values because you agree with those values, otherwise it is a form of an ulterior motive. what if god doesn't exist, would you then not? that question posed to yourself would answer, if honestly answered, what you are about. would you not want to make a better world if you were able, even if god didn't exist? these are the questions a person should ask themselves.

Last edited: May 18, 2017