Spanking your child?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by ElectricFetus, Jun 12, 2003.

?

Is Spanking ok?

1. Always

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. When all else fails

30 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. Never

27 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. It depends, will explain below in post...

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

disciplining your kids, that's what i always hear on this topic. but goddammit someone tell me what a child could possibly do that is so bad that they deserve to be hit!! maybe if they were trying to kill somebody...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If a child does something wrong you tell s/he not to do it, if they repeat, you put them in timeout or make them do something, if they continue disobeying you what other option do you have left? Spanking is not such a horrible thing, I’m not traumatized from it I don't cower in fear of my parents, I love my parent greatly, and when I think about it I had it coming.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

what act of disobedience is so bad it warrents violence?

just give me one example

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I did! and also spankings are not "violence".

8. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

let me rephrase that:

what act of disobedience is so bad it warrents violence?

and yes it is violence. hitting is hitting, regardless if it's on the behind or anywhere else.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Lets see
    - Hitting another person
    - Damaging property
    - Repeated disobedience

I think that covers it, and what your opinion of violence is as yours and not definitive. I don’t see spanking a child under control circumstances as violence, you do, your problem.

10. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

"Hitting another person"

but it's ok when you do it? mixed signals, very confusing for young children. hypocrisy=bad parenting

"Damaging property"

oh please, children do that. it's in their job description. adults damage more property than kids do anyway and in much more destructive ways. spank them.

"Repeated disobedience"

nothing more than bad parenting. parents hit when they don't know how to parent so they take it out on the kid. if they did their job right, the spanking would never come up. imo, most people suck at being parents and should have been sterilized in the first place.

"I don’t see spanking a child under control circumstances as violence"

but they are not permitted to hit you back. they are unarmed, so to speak, and cannot defend themselves. it is an unfair fight. that is called abuse.

11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Mammals are the best parents in the world, but by god human beings are by far the worst.
    There wouldn't be anything wrong with spanking if the parent knew when to do it but they never do. They do it when THEY are angry which is pointless and harmful.
    There has to be a reason for everything you do while parenting.
    I think the secret to perfect parenting is to let children hurt themselves and don't reward them with pity when they do.
    I've seen animal parents like bears and honey badgers do this time and time again on TV so I know its what works. Animals can't afford to screw up like we can.
    A baby honey badger stumbled into an ants nest and was getting bitten by ants, its mother watched without interfering for about a minute so the lesson was learned then she ran over, picked it up by the scruff of the neck, took it away from the ants and roughly dropped it on the ground to really make sure the message was ingrained.
    Now what would a human mother do? First of all she wouldn't be watching her child she would be talking to her friends, her son would come over crying, he would tug on her sleave and say "an ant bit me waaa waaa" and she would say "awww let me see! awww oh my god awww!!! etc etc"
    After that he'll probably want to be bitten again.
    Or These days the mother might be watching, she might be watching so hard that the child has no chance to meet an ants nest ever, or anything else for that matter. What kind of human being will he grow up as if he hasn't experienced anything as a child?
    I say let them go, let them run wild and free but watch them, watch them walk into an ants nest, watch them burn their finger on something, watch them walk into a telephone pole be ready to interfere if it starts to get out of hand but don't stop them from doing those things.
    You'll end up with a pretty lousy excuse for a living organism if you do.

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

SwedishFish

Yes it is ok when you spank your child on the butt it is not normal interpreted as the same thing as being punch in the face in angry.

Adults are punished for damaging property except thats far more violent! Imprisonment and being @$$-fukced for several years its what we are trying to prevent in our children, I would be best to prevent it then.

As for disobedience tell my step-mother she’s a bad mother and that her child should be a angel if she did it "right" like all the books and psychologist tell her to do… as if she has not been following there instructions to the "T"!

Spanking under federal law is not seen a abuse and parents can not be charge for such. There for it is not abuse

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

ok, put her on the computer. i'll tell her she's a bad mother.

good parenting lies in instinct. if you ain't got the instict, don't be spawning offspring.

i fail to see the difference between the face and the behind. my mom flicked me on the side of the mouth when she didn't like what came out of it. it enraged me and made me want to hit her back, not the intended effect. now that i'm physically able to, i totally would if she ever laid a finger on me.

yes, because the federal law says so, it must be true.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

let's take a look at the top and see how his kids turned out, shall we? oh right they're out of control underaged alcoholics.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sure abuse is the view of person, but to punish for it requires the view of the public. I have never hit my mother and never wanted to out of fear of the repercussions, Ryan hits his parents because there is nothing they can do back to him that he finds negative enough.

Who are you talking about? Bush and his spoiled brats? What that have to do with spanking? Those kids are just spoil which is something else entirely. Mainly a rich father that gave them everything they wanted.

15. weebee Registered Senior Member

16. Lorcalon Registered Member

I'm firmly in the spanking is okay as a last resort category. When you have attempted reasoning with your child, and thay haven't listened. When you've given them a time-out or other non-violent forms of disipline and it hasn't had any effect. You need to reinforce that there are boundries on how they can behave just as there are foe adults. Spanking should be distinct from abuse in that parents should not be angry and out-of-control when disiplining their children.
    If my children grow up to be responsible adults, people who make decisions and have morals that I can be proud of. That is more important to me than whether they like me as an individual.Parents exist to raise responsible, law-abiding, productive adults. Not to create their new best friends.

17. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

"Parents exist to raise responsible, law-abiding, productive adults. Not to create their new best friends. "

What a horrible outlook on life....
    I hope my kid will be my best friend and have a revolutionary spirit and not just become another sheep.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Bebelina,

I don't see my self as a sheep, I am going to college pursuing my interested and wanting to make something important and beneficial to humanity with my life, if that makes me a sheep so be it... at lest I not a serial killer which is more fitting to what your describing.

19. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Isn't the goal to have both? A responsible child that is also your best friend??? I mean, if you have one and not the other I wouldn't consider you a successful parent.

20. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

So the expression "revolutionaty spirit" immediately gave you associations to serial killers? Hmmm....

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Actually “sheep” gave me the idea, if a sheep is a productive member of society then a guess a criminal is not a sheep. Rising a best friend is fine, but they still have to be taught how to live in societies and obey laws.

22. Lorcalon Registered Member

I hope my kid will be my best friend and have a revolutionary spirit and not just become another sheep.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Responsible as in: they are willing to accept responsibility for their own actions.
    Law-abiding as in: If they want to make a change in the world they do it by creating a "revolution" that is within the laws of their country. (Instead of forcing people to agree with their views at gunpoint or whatever.)
    Productive as in: Being happy and successful at what they choose to do in life.

The object of parenting becomes skewed when parents want their children to be their friends at the expense of teaching them the boundries of the world we live in.

23. dribbler Banned Banned

terrible - does not teach love