My son at 14 wants to be a marine and kill Osamas in the desert

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jmpet, Jul 31, 2011.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Umm guys...he sounds like a regular kid who simply doesn't know better.

He's 14. Boys typically aren't emotionally mature at 14. Ten to one he simply plays too many computer games and hasn't thought about what actual killing would entail.

LOL!!!!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

CAN WE ALL STOP BICKERING???!!!

How about this angle:

My son was 5 when 9/11 happened and we lived miles from the WTC. Living in NYC at that time there was an air of paranoia. He told me that he is tired of living his life in a world full of terrorists and wants to do something about it.

Now turn your TV on and all you see is people praising our heroes. Now buy a popular video game and guess what- they're killing Arabs- you can tell they're the bad guy because they're the ones shooting at you. That's why I applied the generic term "Arabs" to "the enemy", as anyone who ever played one of those games can attest to.

The school he goes to has a 4th grade teacher whose son was killed in Iraq- and they all honor and respect him and his mother the teacher.

Are we raising children in an environment where becoming a soldier is a viable option? Are they inadvertently being exposed to this wave of patriotism and being swept up in it?

I would be very happy if my son was a garbageman. Or a physicist- I already told him how to make an a-bomb and we all know it's quite simple- post grads in physics do it as a hobby.

But he wants to be a soldier.

Maybe he does not understand all the complexitites with being a soldier but he has expressed the desire to be one. I asked you folks what you thought- is it him, is it society, or is this the wave of the future? We are using my son as "the generic 14 year old example" because he is quite normal.

It would be helpful to this thread if you all stated your opinions and stopped bickering with each other.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

*The number of waivers granted to US Army recruits with criminal backgrounds has grown nearly 65 per cent in the last three years, increasing to 8,129 in 2006 from 4,918 in 2003, show Defence Department records.

During that time the Army has employed a range of tactics to expand its diminishing pool of recruits. It has offered larger enlistment cash bonuses, allowed more high school dropouts and applicants with low scores on its aptitude test to join, and loosened weight and age restrictions.

It has also increased the number of so-called “moral waivers” to recruits with criminal pasts, even as the total number of recruits dropped slightly. The sharpest increase was in waivers issued for serious misdemeanors, which make up the bulk of all the Army’s moral waivers. These include aggravated assault, burglary, robbery and vehicular homicide. The number of waivers issued for felony convictions also increased, from 8 per cent to 11 per cent of the 8,129 moral waivers granted in 2006. (link)​

*The New York Times noted that the neo-Nazi magazine Resistance is actually recruiting for the U.S. military, urging "skinheads to join the Army and insist on being assigned to light infantry units." As the magazine explained, "The coming race war and the ethnic cleansing to follow will be very much an infantryman's war. ... It will be house-to-house ... until your town or city is cleared and the alien races are driven into the countryside where they can be hunted down and 'cleansed.' "

Apparently, the recruiting push has worked. Barfield reported that he and other investigators have identified a network of neo-Nazi active-duty Army and Marine personnel spread across five military installations in five states. "They're communicating with each other about weapons, about recruiting, about keeping their identities secret, about organizing within the military," he said.

Little wonder that Aryan Nation graffiti is now apparently competing for space with American inner-city gang graffiti in Iraq.

In the latter half of the Vietnam War, the U.S. military started to crumble from within and American troops began scrawling "UUUU" on their helmet liners -- an abbreviation that stood for "the unwilling, led by the unqualified, doing the unnecessary for the ungrateful."

With a growing majority of Americans opposed to the war in Iraq and even ardent hawks refusing to enlist in droves, new policies creating a lower-quality officer corps and the Pentagon pulling out ever more stops and sinking to new lows to recruit and train troops, a new all-volunteer generation of UUUU's may emerge -- the underachieving, unable, unexceptional, unintelligent, unsound, unhinged, unacceptable, unhealthy, undesirable, unloved and uncivil -- all led by the unqualified, doing the unnecessary for the ungrateful.

Current practices suggest this may well be the force of the future. It certainly isn't the new military Rumsfeld's been promising all these years, but there's no denying the depth of the transformation. (link)​

how to even begin......

/teehee

/chastened

umm
    missus?
    please accept this peace offering.......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

/pant

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why wouldn't he like it? Whats more interesting for a wannabe soldier who wants to kill ayrabs than meeting a whole bunch of soldiers who have been there and done that? I just think it would be more realistic an introduction to war if he met those who have actually been to Iraq or Afghanistan - veterans are not just old has beens you know.

Plus, it would give him contacts and credits towards his education.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would hope so.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

excellent
    how about pipe bombs?
    surely there is some utility in that as well?

11. WillNever Valued Senior Member

"Soldier" is not a profession. You would benefit from looking up the definition of profession.

12. birch Valued Senior Member

uh, i'm not? it's a necessary evil (sometimes war, killing etc) for defense or for liberation. i try to have a realistic view of it. as long as there is predation or oppression, you have to have defense which is what it boils down to. there is nothing wrong with making the military a career choice. it is an honorable profession when the motive is to protect and defend your country or to help save or defend the lives of others.

the discussion was about a particular issue or point, not being against the military. okay? for instance, not all millitary personnel hold these values nor is the military the most ethical either. some really do see friend/foe in black and white, some are very nationalistic or even prejudiced against other countries or cultures, some are warmongers or view their country as the rightful boss of the world etc which can engender a might is right code of ethics, from lower ranking to higher ranking.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There are plenty of career military people.

14. Gustav Banned Banned

this one time, in sci, there was this pseudo artist clique that delighted in prancing around like peacocks uttering the most juvenile of inanities. moronic blather was taken to new heights. incoherence? well, that was the new profundity.

so....one way they engendered a group identity and cohesiveness was to drop obscure cultural references and stereotypes as a tactic to demean and insult the other

for instance, in this thread..........

dr heiter ? oh.......

A mad scientist kidnaps and mutilates a trio of tourists in order to reassemble them into a new "pet"-
    - a human centipede, created by stitching their mouths to each others' rectums.

i mean, bells
    we raise hell here but we draw the line at denigrating family members, right?
    we have some semblance of decency, right?
    why weren't the goddamn noobs clued in?

orly dear
    accept my apology on behalf of sci

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

(pointedly ignoring the upthread...crap...)
    That...is a good motivation to want to go into the military.
    Maybe even to officer training? Do you think he's bright enough to be an officer? even starting down that road would make him a more thoughtful and levelheaded line soldier, even if he does not finish that training.

Something you might also be steering him towards...learning to speak Arabic. Seriously. People who can speak and read Arabic are in desperately short supply-and if he's quite serious about fighting middle eastern terrorism? tackling learning Arabic and/or Farsi is the way to do it...get into counterterrorism and intelligence.

Somewhere along the way of learning to speak and read Arabic he will realize that Arabic-speaking people are just people, and that the terrorists comprise a tiny minority of them.

Not only that, but make him enough of an intelligence asset and he might be too valuable to be shot at...win for you.

Then when he gets out, he can come back and join the FBI and do the same work domestically...it's a whole career path there.

16. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with the kid wanting to join the army to kill people why eles would you join the army nave airforce or marines other then to kill people or at least get a chance too. Just dont tell the recruiting officer that they take a dim veiw on that kind of talk.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

SERIOUSLY!? LucySnow is saying my family is like that? WTHell?! I get a 'fuck you' and 'asshole' and saying the 'lieblings' of my family are future Dr Heiter psychopaths?! come on! At least a warning, ok?

and I was called a snookie. what's that?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Calling someone snookie is a base and vile insult right up there with "Intellectually Dishonest"

Snookie is equivalent to intellectually dismantled.

She's a dumb hoss.

19. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Pipe boms are just as difficult to make as A-bombs. However, you can make pipe bombs in your basement more readily than A-bombs. But no- we never discussed pipe bombs, as simple as they are to manufacture.

You folks ave no imagination to what you can whip up in your kitchen cabinet with a little imagination!

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I can't make a pipe bomb in my basement.
    We have no basement...high water table.

I have lots of imagination...

(And a cheery hello to all my fans in the NSA, homeland security, the FBI...)

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

its not?

22. United for Communism Marx & Lenin Forward Registered Senior Member

Poor son; he will continue to fight for the military industrial complex which is an engine of the ruling capitalist class.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, you're funny! :roflmao:

welcome to sciforums.