When/ how did you become an atheist?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by spidergoat, Apr 16, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Talk about tilting at windmills!!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

How can humans have "higher thought" than animals or plants - since we're all just biomechanical systems?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

How can elephants be stronger than humans?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

And indeed, how can a human make a gun and bullets and shoot the elephant, and then take the time to cut its head of and mount it on a giant redwood plinth? Or, indeed, want to in the first place?

8. John99 Banned Banned

It isnt that simple. An Atheist believes something does not exist, what if he\she were convinced something does not exist?

Basically it is like acknowledging that there may be some possibility because if there were no possibility then why apply a name to something that does not\never did exist? You cant make one, you cant say "one day one will exist".

In other words not convinced. If that is true and it must be because you do not give names to things that you know do not and have never have existed then why is there a name for it? Why call yourself\describe yourself\name yourself after something when your position is it does not exist?

How about this: I am a lamp. But wait humans are not lamps, why call yourself a lamp?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Brilliant post John.

Let me try and answer some of your questions.
    The reason there is a word for atheist is because there is something called theists in the world. If there hadn't been theists in the world, no word would have been necessary to describe someone who doesn't believe in a god. It has nothing to do with whether you're convinced or not.

I don't really understand your lamp question. Could you explain it?

10. John99 Banned Banned

You cursed me out the other day.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Only some of them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

How about: because a large proportion of people claim that it does exist.

12. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

That was another thread. Let's not discuss it here.

13. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Lol.

What is the alternative to god as a concept?

14. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Joey why are you posting in a thread about how you became an atheist, when you're not an atheist?

15. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Why do you have a picture of Jesus riding a dinasaur if your not a theist?
    Alternatively are you saying that "Athiesm" is a religion? Why else would it be in the religious subfora, eh?

16. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

You answer my question first.

If you want to criticise my avatar, do it in "free thoughts" or in a PM.
    If you want to discuss whether atheism is a religion, I suggest you make a thread about it. You're derailing this thread with your posts. That's all I'm saying.

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Why do you have a modification of my avatar if you're not me?

I doubt it, since it isn't.

18. wellwisher Banned Banned

Maybe an analogy for theism and atheism is like a child who is rebellion against their parents. If the parents say X, the child will say that Y must be true. If theism says marriage is between man and women, atheism says it has to be Y; add gay marriage. A true individual, not a rebellion idenity, with make a new ritual for the new partner arrangement.

The rebellious child lacks he own identity, apart from the parents, and therefore needs to detach himself and differentiate by first being contrary. Eventually, the child finds themselves and begins to develop objectivity. Then there is truth in many places.

To paraphrase Mark Twain; When I (atheism) was young, my dad (theism) was such an idiot, I could not stand be around him. Now, it is many years later, I am amazed how much my dad has learned. Once atheism grows up, it will see things clearer as it stops being irrational in its attempt to find is own identity.

For example, the basic familty unit is the most efficient set up, requiring the least government suppliment. The rebellious atheist will need to be contrary to common sense, simply because his dumb dad said it first. Once he grows into an individual, then it can be objective.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm just rebelling against bullshit.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Because the phenomenon of religion exists. It's slightly more important than bigfoot in it's effect on society, so there is a term for it.

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I wonder if there's a particular reason why theists have to come up with inane (and incorrect and derogatory) analogies for the simple concept of not believing something they do.

Because they're used to being spoon-fed?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."​

Mark Twain​

23. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Some of the nature systems have reached higher electro-bio-chemical-mechanical forms capable of wider sensing and higher thought considerations. A plant or a snail may but sense sun, moisture, light, dark, insects, warm, cold, ph…

There are such hierarchies in man-made forms, too, such as in a car versus a bike.

Theists may be unsettled as just being a part of organic nature, as they are never so humble but desire special status, even to the point of being God-made and having reward.