When/ how did you become an atheist?

Look.
This is a scientific forum or atleast its what Ive been told.

First consider what "pain" is:
Pain is "an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage."[1]

Than consider that we as biological systems with a seperate "stream" of consciousness need this sensory experience for biological systems to make any sense at all. There is a delicate equillabrium associated with emotion, adrenaline, etc. that requires pain as a reference point.

So lets look past pain.

All the matter (material of energy exchange) is only what we can infer from our senses and the data it corresponds to. We are not seeing the matter in any "ultimate" state and there certainly is plenty more not getting picked up by our senses or interpretated in any meaningful way. Pain is apart of this delicate sensory, conscious, biological framework. It is needed. What really is pain if we had a quantum xray. Nothing. We only assign it such meaning because of the limitations in our perspective we can deem it evil or not god like.

Lets look past this and assume we are god.

Does pain matter? Does death matter?
Are we certain that we wont experience the "worst" and the "best" and just acknowledge it was an experience?

Or are we going to hold grudges because god "made us sad" or 'hurt us" when "god" could be me, you, the universe, expansion, the laws, everything contigent matter is based on constantly evolving from the collapse of the vaccum state?? Are you so sure your entitled to exist and feel pain?? When you look at the universe its so sterile.... and earth is so "fertile"......

Egocentric nature decieves us into thinking there really is a "ME" when your brain could be damaged and you forgot that "you" even existed. So we can assume were nothing but a biological perspective fostering the essense of consciousness in a digitally-based reality coming from an analog framework through acceleration so that even our very own eyes have to create "still frames" for us to make sense of reality in the meaningful way society does.

I became an athiest or agnostic or thiest when I realized organized religion had to be wrong and that athiests were circulating either thiestic theories themselves or were reserving there belief for more evidence which is obviously an obstruction when it comes to progressing or philosophizing ideas on the premise of origin or reality or "god".

The concept of Atheism is a bit oxymoronic.

If something does not exist you cannot put a label on it. Its like naming the nine holes of Copanga. This is not to say "Atheism" is wrong or right as i am in the center here.

If i produce a lemon, roll it out on the table and ask "what is this?" the answer "it is a lemon". If i remove the lemon and ask "what is this?" The answer would be "what?"

Because it's just assumed that it's bullshit, which is the same way religions should be considered.

I third the notion!
Babies are athiests!

I believe fraggle allready provided an alternative or atleast show how this could be wrong.

In the most broadest sense of the word you can say babies are athiests. Than again that would be applied to animals than? Molecules? Your manipulating the literary meaning in context and you would be using the word inapproriately in any meaningful conversation. Athiesm is rejection of belief. It would be more intelligent if you said that babies were agnostic - because they just dont claim to know untill more information is available than and than only is when they can make the decision of whether there going to be agnostic, religious or an athiest...

I third the notion!
Babies are athiests!

I believe fraggle allready provided an alternative or atleast show how this could be wrong.

In the most broadest sense of the word you can say babies are athiests. Than again that would be applied to animals than? Molecules? Your manipulating the literary meaning in context and you would be using the word inapproriately in any meaningful conversation. Athiesm is rejection of belief. It would be more intelligent if you said that babies were agnostic - because they just dont claim to know untill more information is available than and than only is when they can make the decision of whether there going to be agnostic, religious or an athiest...

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Agnosticism, according to the recognised terminology, fall under the umbrella of Atheism?

Atheism is a broad term. But you could say one factor is the object must be capable of developing a belief in god within its lifetime. Therefore animals and plants etc. given they are incapable of ever finding god because they have no hope of grasping the concept cannot be atheist. A baby however has the tools to develop a belief in god within its own lifetime and therefore falls under the umbrella of Atheism.

At the end of the day its only terminology. And alternative views are possible. If one person asserts that a baby is atheist then no one can question that. It is perfectly reasonable to create that context. If someone wishes to assert a different context then that is their right. But should they question a legimate context based on their personal opinion? Of course, Game on! But that never destroys the context that has been forged. Anyone can willingly participate within that context or not.

But to argue about terminology (because we can when a word has multiple stresses, meanings) instead of a meaningful issue is a bit degrading to the minds who frequent this forum?

Additional: It seems all humans do sometimes is argue over terminology. I suppose it keeps things interesting within a debate, even though it feels like it is slowing real progress sometimes.

Additional: It seems all humans do sometimes is argue over terminology. I suppose it keeps things interesting within a debate, even though it feels like it is slowing real progress sometimes.
Tedious, imo.
It detracts from the debate when people misunderstand a word.

Back