I've never understood why the death of Jesus is important.

one may as well be asking just what exactly Prince Myshkin saw in Nastassya Filippovna.

Attraction by a man for a woman is very easy to understand.
Killing your only begotten innocent son to compensate for the sins of humanity doesn't make any sense at all.
It's mad.

It's mad.
Sure
Kill your son (who you know will be back in 3 days anyway no biggie)
That will atone for all the sins of humanity in one fell swoop (? how, don't bother me with details, take it as a given - wish I never planted that tree of knowledge)
BUT
Anybody who likes to take up this off will have to believe it happened otherwise no dice
(Umm can I work in a believe in one and get one free?)
Better give a Get out of jail free card who have never heard of JC
Must be fair

Not just mad. It's drooling all day locked in a padded room insane

:)

So are you saying God doesn't know in advance ?
That's a new one.
I thought he was supposed to be Omniscient !

See, you're not even trying.

Like Parmalee↑ said, it seems like trolling.

And here is the basic reason why you're not accomplishing anything more than that:

I can equally address any other reason and dispense with it just as easily.

Part of the reason your act seems so clueless is because your only real concern seems to be yourself.

And here is the basic reason why you're not accomplishing anything more than that:

Part of the reason your act seems so clueless is because your only real concern seems to be yourself.
The Greatest I Am leaves and Ivor Bigun arrives spouting the same shit. I mean what a coincidence, huh?

OK let's try a different way.

Suppose I have 7 children, 6 boys and one girl.
They all have pocket money every week.

The boys will not do their homework.
They won't go to bed on time and they are very cheeky.

The girl, on the other hand, always does her homework, goes to bed on time and is respectful.

Basically, the 6 boys are very naughty and the girl is well behaved.

So I have a problem. What can I do about those naughty boys, hmm ?
I don't want to punish them, because I love them.
But I have a strong sense of justice.
Somebody must be punished

So I have a plan.
I think it's a really good plan.

I will take my one and only girl, up to her bedroom.
I will take all her favorite toys off her.
I will confine her to her bedroom for a weekend.
She will have no pocket money next week.

That will satisfy my sense of justice.

You made your scenario. Let's look into biblical history first. As I mentioned read Isaiah , Jeremiah and Ezekiel slowly . there is a process in time and opportunity was given to the naughty boys for about 700 years than they were busted by sending them to Babylon as the remanent come back they were not following other gods. As they come back they come with a written Torah and people have been better educated and were able to read the Torah themselve . Tham come Jesus , He preached and was an example in his action to the people because the religious system was organized.
Your example does not fit well to the Jesus coming and forgiving sins. taken from here " I am the way", "means follow my teachings , meaning if you follows his teaching your sins are going to be forgiving , You will not have to sacrifice an lamb or other animal. Sacrifice your desires, than you will be a better human.

I think jealousy is a very undignified emotion.

You made your scenario. Let's look into biblical history first. As I mentioned read Isaiah , Jeremiah and Ezekiel slowly . there is a process in time and opportunity was given to the naughty boys for about 700 years than they were busted by sending them to Babylon as the remanent come back they were not following other gods. As they come back they come with a written Torah and people have been better educated and were able to read the Torah themselve . Tham come Jesus , He preached and was an example in his action to the people because the religious system was organized.
Your example does not fit well to the Jesus coming and forgiving sins. taken from here " I am the way", "means follow my teachings , meaning if you follows his teaching your sins are going to be forgiving , You will not have to sacrifice an lamb or other animal. Sacrifice your desires, than you will be a better human.

In fact, my example exactly matches the religious idea that Jesus was killed in our place.
It's called Substitutionary Atonement.
Anyone with the tiniest bit of religious education knows about this mad notion.
Or perhaps you haven't heard the "good news" ?

Liberal theologians have worked out that modern people are not so easily fooled as they were 500 years ago, so they now like to concentrate on "Jesus Loves You".
Jesus now represents that Teddy Bear you used to find comforting as a child.
He loves you, despite all your sinful selfish possession obsession.
Just give a few dollars more and he will take you into his loving arms and cuddle you.
Creepy guy.

Last edited:
Please don't exaggerate. My wife died with a seatbelt on the other person flew out through the windshield because the windshield flew out due to the impact . She died due her chest was broken by the steering wheel. Let forget that the point is the word FREEDOM is buzzword . I can mention many ancient and present laws in a large society reduce its value . LAWS are made to reduce FREEDOM.!!!!!!
Did you sue? The seatbelt was defective.

I think jealousy is a very undignified emotion.

And I find ignorance a tragic human condition.

More to the relevant, the problem with your topic inquiry, that you've never understood why the death of Jesus is important, is pretty straightforward: You never wanted to know.

The problem is that if you wanted to know, you would have looked it up by now. But you don't, so you sit around in ignorance, waiting for someone who meets your stereotype so that you can feel smart for knowing the definition of substitutionary.

And nobody else can really answer because you are unwilling or unable to state your inquiry in some manner that actually makes sense.

I wonder if the author of the OP is equally confused by this guy:

20090603-tank-cole-1000px.jpg

or this guy:

Th%C3%ADch_Qu%E1%BA%A3ng_%C4%90%E1%BB%A9c_self-immolation.jpg

The disingenuity here is painfully apparent--if you're gonna attempt something like this, one would think you'd at least make an effort to demythologize, or at least throw in some actual historic context, or something... But instead, we get a failed attempt at reading a single text, and nothing more.

And I find ignorance a tragic human condition.

More to the relevant, the problem with your topic inquiry, that you've never understood why the death of Jesus is important, is pretty straightforward: You never wanted to know.

The problem is that if you wanted to know, you would have looked it up by now. But you don't, so you sit around in ignorance, waiting for someone who meets your stereotype so that you can feel smart for knowing the definition of substitutionary.

And nobody else can really answer because you are unwilling or unable to state your inquiry in some manner that actually makes sense.

From your remarks, it seems you understand more than Ivor, so please enlighten us with your apparently greater knowledge (if you are capable).
I have my own understanding about the death of Jesus, but do you ?
Or are you just picking holes because you don't like Ivor ?

Back