Gender identity: Crazy/delusional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosaur

Rational Skeptic
Valued Senior Member
If a person believes he/she Napoleon or a reincarnation of him, he is considered insane or delusional. Similarly for belief in being a reincarnation of some 16th century woman.

If a person believes that he is a man born into a woman's body or a similar belief for a woman, he/she is considered to have some gender identity problem.

Why is the former insane & the latter not less insane, but still insane?

Napoleon was a specific person who is now dead. Gender identity isn't insanity. Gender is more than sexual organs, it's a social construct.

If a person believes that he is a man born into a woman's body or a similar belief for a woman, he/she is considered to have some gender identity problem.
It is not. Gender identity is not insanity, any more than homosexuality is.

If a person believes he/she Napoleon or a reincarnation of him, he is considered insane or delusional. Similarly for belief in being a reincarnation of some 16th century woman.

Not really. Millions of people believe in reincarnation and aren't considered insane.

I am sorry I used the word insane, which implies or indicates some level of functional disability. Delusional is a better word in this context.

From Magical Realist Post #4
Not really. Millions of people believe in reincarnation and aren't considered insane.
From the Master of Sinanju (one of my favorite fictional characters.)
If billions believe a foolish idea it is still a foolish idea.
I classify reincarnation as a foolish idea, unsupported by any evidence other than anecdotes.

I am sorry I used the word insane, which implies or indicates some level of functional disability. Delusional is a better word in this context.

From Magical Realist Post #4From the Master of Sinanju (one of my favorite fictional characters.)I classify reincarnation as a foolish idea, unsupported by any evidence other than anecdotes.

It still doesn't qualify as delusional. Lots of people believe in the supernatural and the afterlife. In fact goin by the numbers one would say it is pretty normal.

de·lu·sion·al
dəˈlo͞oZH(ə)nəl/
adjective
  1. characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
    "hospitalization for schizophrenia and delusional paranoia"
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...&oq=delusional&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2674j0j8

It still doesn't qualify as delusional. Lots of people believe in the supernatural and the afterlife. In fact goin by the numbers one would say it is pretty normal.

de·lu·sion·al
dəˈlo͞oZH(ə)nəl/
adjective
  1. characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...&oq=delusional&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2674j0j8

You appear to be delusional with trying to rationalise

Lots of people believe in the supernatural and the afterlife

equating a numerical aspect

In fact goin by the numbers one would say it is pretty normal.

with a definetion of de·lu·sion·al

which defines that they are indeed

delusional and not pretty normal.

:)

You appear to be delusional with trying to rationalise

Lots of people believe in the supernatural and the afterlife

equating a numerical aspect

In fact goin by the numbers one would say it is pretty normal.

with a definetion of de·lu·sion·al

which defines that they are indeed

delusional and not pretty normal.

You have no idea what "idiosyncratic" means do you?

You have no idea what "idiosyncratic" means do you?

Pong 1

idiosyncratic

adjective

Deviating from the customary:

bizarre, cranky, curious, eccentric, erratic, freakish, odd, outlandish, peculiar, quaint, queer, quirky, singular, strange, unnatural, unusual, weird.

Slang: kooky, screwball.

British Slang: rum, rummy.

characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

characterized by or holding bizarre
beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
"hospitalization for schizophrenia and bizarre paranoia"

characterized by or holding cranky beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
"hospitalization for schizophrenia and cranky paranoia"

characterized by or holding curious beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
"hospitalization for schizophrenia and curious paranoia"

characterized by or holding eccentric beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
"hospitalization for schizophrenia and eccentric paranoia"

Reasonable people of either biological sex could strive to emulate the various attributes of Napoleon, and be conditioned to be like him, but the fact that Napoleon is long since deceased, and reincarnation has yet to be established as a viable occurrence, claiming to actually be Napoleon is arguably insane.

Unless innate biological sexual characteristics only are required to define gender, a person of either biological sex, possessing requisite attributes, could reasonably qualify to be included in a given gender.

What makes you think that gender identity is akin to someone who thinks they are the reincarnation of a dead person?

In humans, delusions of various kinds are normal. Normal doesn't mean clinically sane, it just means an accepted standard of belief or behaviour, which varies according to culture.
In a society of uptight high collar and bloomers wearing Victorians, an average Hawaiian's work attire would seem eccentric at the least - and vice versa. However, the attitudes of the majority to the exceptional would be quite different: the Victorians would condemn the half-naked savage, while the Hawaiians would smile indulgently at the stuffed shirt.

Whether gender identities and presentations have a physical or psychological origin, they are no more destructive than a preference for various kinds of attire.
What differs greatly is how societies respond to the individual who doesn't match the majority. In some communities, people accept one another as they are; in others, the majority persecutes all deviation from their preconceived norm; in some, the self-proclaimed 'normals' (however many kinds of delusion they themselves harbour) just keep harping on what's wrong with people who are not like them.

I have to wonder what they find so threatening in matters that don't affect them in any way.

In humans, delusions of various kinds are normal. Normal doesn't mean clinically sane, it just means an accepted standard of belief or behaviour, which varies according to culture.

No no no

No delusion of any type are normal

Normal doesn't mean clinically sane

Nobody is claiming that

Someone who is delusional is NOT normal

If they were normal they would be called normal

Since they are delusional they are called delusional

Humpty Dumpty with Poe

LGBTQ folks just don't bother me. I don't care what they do, where they go, where they pee. They are absolutely no threat to me whatsoever. They shouldn't be discriminated against in any way. Why can't the rest of the world have the same attitude?

No no no

No delusion of any type are normal
Anything the majority subscribes to in any society is considered normal.
When everyone believed that the earth is flat and the sun comes up from underneath it every morning, believing that was normal. Not believing that was considered delusional or heretical or whatever they called people who didn't believe what everyone else believed. If a delusion of any kind - Trump is going to fix the American economy; torture is effective; capitalist create wealth - is held by the majority, it's not called a delusion, it's called normal.
What things are called is not always what they are.

Anything the majority subscribes to in any society is considered normal.
Everyone I know down here is hoping for the next ice age to come quickly because we want to watch a 2 km thick glacier push Ontario off the map. So I guess that would be considered normal down here.

LGBTQ folks just don't bother me. I don't care what they do, where they go, where they pee. They are absolutely no threat to me whatsoever. They shouldn't be discriminated against in any way. Why can't the rest of the world have the same attitude?

I agree and hope most people would agree

Unfortunately many people act under the impression that they are acting under instructions from the big bloke who lives in the sky above the clouds

It seems the big bloke doesn't like those who depart from his plan even though he gave them free will to do so

Those down here who kiss the big bloke's output disposal region aim also to get on his good side for extra Brownie points by disliking those who he dislikes

Unfortunately over and above that stupid thinking there is a real Earth bound problem

From my understanding it appears that you, as a individual person, will be able to choose which gender you wish to be recognised as

With as I understand more than 50 already in existence and no doubt more on the way soon restrooms in restaurants will outnumber customers because you never know who is going to turn up

And how many oddballs out there will claim to be of a gender which will enable them to engage in their oddball behaviour?

THAT'S the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back