Israel & Palestine

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hypewaders, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Israel & Palestine

Reference Links

If you would like to contribute links for general reference here, please ask a moderator. PM Hypewaders

Israel:

B'Tselem:Israeli human rights group

Ha'aretz: left leaning newspaper chronicling Israeli POV

Zochrot [Remembering]: To educate the Nakba deniers

ICAHD: Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions

Machsom watch: tracking abuse at the checkpoints

Shministim: Israeli teenagers who refuse to join the IDF

Ometz LeSarev
    [Courage to Refuse]: IDF refuseniks

ibn Ezra: blog of Joseph Dana from Israel, he is also part of the Ta'ayush movement for Arab-Israeli partnership

Palestine:

Maan News Agency: the local news source for most Palestinians

The Palestine Chronicle: leading online magazine/blog/newspaper for Palestinian issues

Palestine Remembered: Keeping alive the Palestinian nation

Bi'lin: a Palestinian village, center of the nonviolent resistance

Raising Yousuf and Noor: a mother from Gaza [although technically she is American]

USA:

Tikun Olam -essays on politics, culture and ideas about Israeli-Arab peace

Electronic Intifada -news, commentary, analysis, reference materials from a Palestinian perspective

Jewish Voice for Peace -news, commentary from peace activists inspired by Jewish tradition

Jews sans frontieres -An Anti-Zionist blog browsing the media

Mondoweiss -American foreign policy in the Middle East from a progressive Jewish perspective

Ta'anit Tzedek - Jewish Fast For Gaza

Lawrence of Cyberia: American activist Diane Mason

Just World News: by Helen Cobban

Israel: Balancing Demographics in the Jewish State -Migration Information Source

U.K.

"Chatham House" (Royal Institute of International Affairs)

Australia:

Antony Loewenstein -Sydney-based journalist/author blog

Other:

The Goldstone Report (large .pdf) -UN Human Rights Council, concerning the 2008-2009 Gaza War

---------------------------------------------------

Some tired retired &or retarded threads about Israel/Palestine​

News from Gaza; News from Gaza 2; Foreign Opinions on Israel; Is Israel in the Wrong?; A Short History; The 2 State Solution; 1 State; Does Israel Target Civilians?; "Concentration Camp"; Hummus War; Shebaa Farms; Right of Return; American Assistance to Israel; "Stolen Land"?;

---------------------------------------------------​
    OP /Thread Notes:

Formerly titled The Promised Thread, the objectives here include accommodation of those who tire of the proliferation of threads on the subject, and better service and encouragement to those who have been disappointed in the curtailment and disruption of discussion and debate surrounding Israeli/Palestinian issues.

The format of the long promised/threatened thread will be intended to follow the same pattern as would any redirection of following discussions. I hope that the most recent Israel/Palestine events may be discussed briefly in a catch-all thread, until discussion (as is typically the case) turns to revisiting an underlying issue. At that point, I (or another so-inclined fellow moderator) may direct us all to a more appropriate thread in special, well-agreed cases.

In addition to your patience with the redirection of new threads and posts, I would ask members to scrupulously avoid even the appearance of hateful posts on this general subject. It's a blurry line between being provocative and contributing to the derailment of a discussion- so the success of this initiative will also require redoubled attention to avoiding offense, by giving that fuzzy line a wide berth.

I'm hoping to devote particular attention as a moderator to an area of discussion that is particularly prone to getting out of hand, and I'm hoping that with some attention to continuity of discussion, we'll create clearer paths to understanding for all sides. I have no desire to implement anything as a moderator that I would find unacceptable as a member. As a member, I am interested in seeing if less tangle of Israel/Palestine threads, along with more respectful debate, may offer something more stimulating and worthwhile here.

Salaam and Shalom.

-hypewaders

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

OK, I'll start. It's the same game as always, people. We're just trying to talk about Palestine/Israel in fewer threads, like one big happy family that really needs to talk:

Palestine News Network: Injunction in case of Palestinian workers fired inside Israeli boundaries for not entering army

This is an example of why the Israeli system is unsustainable, and also why there is hope for Israelis.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Haaretz: Israel, U.S. working to limit damage of Goldstone report
    The spinmeisters are not being very original, but I must say they have been very effective. I pay attention to news more than most USAmericans, but I only discovered that this report had been released 2 weeks back, by reading a post today on Sciforums.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They had no choice really. Think of all the stuff that came out of Israel after the war. The army rabbis, the tee shirts, the troops testimonies, the planning of the war from the beginning of the ceasefire, the statements about the blockade.

Imagine what the report would have looked like with the Israeli testimonies added to it.

Then what could they have said in response?

Outgoing statement of the UN General Assembly President:

Some background on the man:

Who will hold the most moral leaders in the world accountable for their actions?

link

The world watches hypocrisy in action.

Project Communicate or How to get/keep Americans into the pro-Israel camp:

One of their undertakings:
    Hasbara Handbook: Defending Israel on Campus

Another one:
    The Israel Project's 2009 Global Language Dictionary

http://www.theisraelproject.org/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

just skimming through the Israel projects 2009 global language dictionary shows just how in my opinion morally bankrupt the pro Israel side is.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How do you think commercial advertising and public relations works?

We used to study the importance of framing the argument in our undergrad class in public communications

This is Sales 101.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

their preying on people to lazy to get real info. Though this conclusively proves in my opinion that one so called nuetral was pro israeli whn they make the same demand pro israeli groups do. that we should ignore the palestinians legal rights as refugees because it would be inconveinent for Israel. Yes it sucks for the Israelis that would have to be removed for the palestinians who made the choice to return to their lands rather than accept compensation( rights the jewish refugees have as well) but Israel created the problem when they violated international law putting their concerns ahead of those they abused is just evil to me.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats the naive idealist view.

In the real world no one really cares

As Frank Lutz said: And remember, it’s not what you say that counts. It’s what people hear

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

How is a confirmable fact idealist?

than i shall endevor to make them

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

At least Hamas isn't hypocritical about their immorality. Israel may have done some violent things in reaction to being bombed every day for 8 years, but I'm still not anti-Israel. Just like the My Lai Massacre didn't make me anti-American.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, you're a good German. My countries, right or wrong.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

One can object to specific actions without condemning the entire enterprise. No one in this conflict sets a good moral example.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Indeed, they are all equal, victim and oppressor.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They are both victims and oppressors at various times. The situation is more complex than you have ever been willing to admit.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

20. Gustav Banned Banned

why dont you two fuckers go chat on msn or something?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why don't you amputate your fingers, maggot?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Interesting changes in Haaretz talkbacks:

I have been noting an interesting change in Haaretz talkbacks; not sure if it is because of selective moderation by Haaretz [most of my comments do not get published, even innocent ones] or a real sea change in the comments themselves. More and more Americans Jewish and non-Jewish, are giving their opinions in articles related to the US.

e.g. one article Poll: 56% of American Jews think U.S. should strike Iran which has probably been published a few hours ago has, so far, the following comments

Any regular reader of Haaretz will recognise that these kinds of comments are really really unusual in the paper.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Abbas rolls over and plays dead for his puppet masters:

Nothing like accountability for war crimes to destroy a "peace" process

This must be the "change we can believe in".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.