"G_d": Why even bother?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Thoreau, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

No, I'm not talking about God itself. I'm referring to why so many religious people feel the need to omit the "o" in "God".

Time and time again I see the following two spellings everywhere:

G_d
    G0d (with a zero)

What is the point? Can someone let me in on the secret?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kx000 Valued Senior Member

This is news to me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

GxD G8D, the 53 G53D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

In Jewish tradition it was considered bad form to say the name of God. So now some people don't even want to print it.

8. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Sounds retarded to me. "God" is a title, not a name.

9. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Right, but in my mind substituting curse words with other things doesn't change anything, the intent was there, and this is no different. If someone considers referring to a god's name as blasphemy, then it shouldn't be referred to in any form.

Make up all the rules you want, but don't then try and fudge them. That's called hypocrisy. I don't mind believers thinking these things, but I can't stand them pretending they don't have to live up to them.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Hey, don't blame me, Jewish tradition is full of shortcuts to the rules. I think that's what you get when you start making such absurd rules in the first place.

11. Yazata Valued Senior Member

It's true.

Another thing is that in the ancient Hebrew language (and in Aramaic as well, I guess) they didn't write out vowels.

True. The Hebrew reluctance to write out God's name makes more sense for the word 'Yahweh' (it was more like YHWH' in ancient Hebrew) than it does for the English word 'God'.

It's all your fault, Spidergoat!

Lol!!

One of the things I like least about the ancient Jews was that they invented all those ridiculous rules. And one of the things I like most about the subsequent Jews was all the creative ways that they found to evade them.

I guess that in a way, Paul's original Christianity with its willingness to play fast and loose with the Jewish law was one of those attempts to wiggle free.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Paul's Christianity was by no means the original. I do respect the diversity of thought of early Christians, too bad that willingness to reinterpret things did not last very long.

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

You know what happen don't you ? It was a woman's religion for a while . I suspect the men ran out of endurance and the women folk still believed prospered and grow thought based on the original concept . I also think it was a poor person religion that gave hope to there plight of being poor . That is why Constantine Mother was a Christian. A Grimalkin so to speak . A young one when Constantine dad meet her . That is when Christianity got its bump and became the Man Fraternity from then on. It is all documented in History if any lamb brains want to check me facts

14. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

He learned from an Arab . Sales is what he learned from a Merchant . Yeah he sought the merchant out cause the Arab Merchant was the greatest Salesman that had ever lived . The Merchant gave him his best sales technique. So he could spread his propaganda. He got fucked in the end you know , but hells bells he believed in it and sold the fuck out of it . I think I Might of too if I was him . I bet life was very dissatisfying back in the day . Think about it . You depressed people with no thrill in your life , Mundane go to work come home go to bed get back up go to work . It is depressing , but think about back then , Get up get crucified by Romans. Or if you live get your ass kicked for not working hard enough , get rapped at the will of a soldier, Work 23 hr, sleep for one ( O yeah I forgot some you party hardys still got that punishment hanging on ) Net Working Baby . Get your arm cut off by some whack job physician that thinks you need a bleeding of extraordinary measures. The point I guess is it was depressing then too for the poor working slob

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I try not to capitalize it so it doesn't refer to a specific god.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Because there really is n_ limit to how g_rmless pe_ple can be.
    They can invent, and justify, anything given time.

17. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Ok Pat. I'd like to buy a vowel.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Arioch Valued Senior Member

19. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Its an old tradition of the Jews not to speak the name of God out loud as their thinking lead them to believe not saying Gods name was a sign of respect to God. As in, Gods name is so holy that us unholy humans are not worthy to even utter His name. Its one of the very old traditions of men and it has nothing to do with Torah. God never told them not to utter His name.

So today we have other religious organizations falling into the same tradition and they are apeing the Jewish custom. But the silly thing about it is that God is Not the Name of God. God's Name is YAVEH.

So it is a tradition of man generated from the faulty thinking of men. It has nothing to do with the expressed will of God, all it does in the long run is make the knowledge of the name of God fade away until most are left with a descriptor such as God or a title such as The God of Abraham. It is good example of misguided reverence gone mad.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days