What Is the Point of the Female Orgasm?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by KilljoyKlown, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

It said "there's nothing exactly like sex".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Has there been any study done on the chemical analysis of vaginal secretions prior to and after orgasm? I would speculate that the enhanced moisture after female orgasm might provide a more favorable environment for the sperm of the male and the general relaxed state induced by an orgasm may likewise relax the cervix toward the same purpose, as conception remains a long shot given other factors such as where a woman may be in her fertility cycle.

The other advantage to female orgasm would be that a woman would be more receptive to sex and provide more frequent opportunities to a male who is willing and able to induce this pleasurable and subsequent relaxed state.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

RE: Title.

Is the female orgasm not necessary since otherwise humans would have to reproduce asexually?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

It's not necessary, because lots of women have gotten prenent without having an orgasm. But I can't say it wouldn't happen easier or more often when orgasms are included. I'm sure everyone can think of examples of women getting pregnent without orgasm. Rape, clitorectomies and bad love making to name a few.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Sex is quite unique, but also consider who said that, (W. C. Fields).

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I do like the "upsuck" theory

What the Research Says on Female Orgasm and Getting Pregnant

There are two main hypothesis on how female orgasm may help with getting pregnant. One is known as the "poleaxe" hypothesis. This says that the purpose of orgasm in women is to make them feel relaxed and sleepy, so they will lie down after sex. By lying down, this may help the sperm reach their destination more easily.

It isn't clear whether or not lying down after sex can help you get pregnant. In one study that specifically studied orgasm and sperm retention, researchers found that just lying down did not seem to improve sperm retention.

On the other hand, a study of IUI treatment found that women who remained horizontal after insemination were more likely to conceive. (Read more about lying down after sex to improve chances of pregnancy.)

The other theory of how female orgasm may help with pregnancy achievement is called the "upsuck" theory. This hypothesis is that the contractions of the uterus help "suck up" the semen that gets deposited in the vagina, near the cervix. The orgasm then helps to move the sperm through the uterus and fallopian tubes.

One study actually measured the amount of semen "flowback" (how much semen leaked out after sex), and found that when female orgasm occurred a minute or less before male ejaculation, sperm retention was greater. They also found that this retention was higher when the woman had an orgasm up to 45 minutes after male ejaculation.

This study also found that a lack of orgasm or female orgasm that took place more than a minute before male ejaculation led to lower sperm retention.

This study did not, however, look at pregnancy rates. If pregnancy rates are higher with female orgasm, it's unclear by how much.

Achieving Female Orgasm During Babymaking Sex

So, after reading this, perhaps you're thinking you'd like to "go for the gold" during babymaking sex. There are plenty of good reasons to have an orgasm, of course. Orgasm is fun, pleasurable, and an excellent stress buster.

However, if your desire for orgasm is completely wrapped up in your desire to get pregnant, you may find yourself feeling pressured. Feeling pressured may then lead to you having difficulty achieving orgasm, adding frustration to your babymaking sex.

The best way to improve your chances of orgasm during sex? To just enjoy your intimate time with your partner. No goals, no pressured-orgasms, no guilt. Just passionate, loving sex. If you have an orgasm, great. And if not, that's OK, too.

http://infertility.about.com/od/sextogetpregnant/f/Is-Female-Orgasm-Important-To-Get-Pregnant.htm

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

The point of the female orgasm is to make men feel bad about their inability to provide it.

"My boyfriend always wants me to let him know when I'm having an orgasm. But that's really hard, because he's usually not in the room." - unknown female standup

11. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

I know that I mean what's exactly like sex can only be sex.

12. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Rape and especially clitorectomy does not sound good though.

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If it feels good I expect you to moan a little. It's a positive feedback thing, the more you moan the more I know I'm on the right track. That only works good when the women is honest with her moans (no faking please).

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is a little complicated sometimes, but in addition to moaning, she will also tighten up down there involuntarily, like little spasms of pleasure, then you know are on the right track. Also, it helps to observe how she pleasures herself.

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Most all the women I knew wouldn't pleasure themselves while anybody was watching and the ones that use vibrators have trouble having orgasms without them, which I find to be annoying. A friend of mine said a lot of women he spent time with couldn't get off unless they were spanked quite hard and that would annoy me also. None of those things in moderation would be bad, but these women require the vibrators or spankings or they don't get off.

16. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

Somewhat more complex, orgasm causes the cervix as a whole to convulse, along with a dilation of the outer opening (the ostium). Some speculate, given the convulsions within the vagina, that the point is to cause the cervix to move into the vagina and thereby be more likely to come in contact with semen. The "upsuck theory" has its detractors, but there are convulsions. If the theory is true, it could explain why men reach orgasm more quickly than women, on average, since semen needs to be present for the female orgasm to have anything to "upsuck".

17. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Sounds like a very twisted video game.

Just a little?
    I thought sounding like a howler monkey being hit with a cattle prod was hrm...typical.
    :shrug:

18. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I can see a lot of men here are easily fooled by their women, who probably end the night giving Rabbit-3 a hug goodnight long after you guys are snoring

19. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Perhaps it's to protect the woman's vagina from tearing and thus from infection? Or even just protect the woman herself. Obviously large numbers of females of all species are forced to copulate as part of reproduction. Take the example of chimpanzee "rape grunts" females scream as they are forced to copulate with immature beta-males (apparently extremely disturbing to witness). Some women report only ever achieving orgasm when they were raped (there's an evolutionary physiologist doing some research into this). So, that's a likely evolutionary avenue, albeit, humans are loath to admit we're animals and so not likely to be too much study into it.

20. Arioch Valued Senior Member

One thing we must never do when considering the evolutionary origin of something is assume that it has or had a specific purpose. Many things in our evolutionary history have been co-opted or simply arose by chance and weren't detrimental to survival so selective pressure on them was minimal(if it existed at all). Our appendix is a great, modern example of this in that it serves no real purpose(anymore) however it's not truly detrimental to survival(in that people don't usually see their appendix burst before seeing their children) so selective pressure isn't really applied to it.

(Yes, I know that there are other reasons we still have an appendix, mostly dealing with embryology, but the point still holds).

The moral of the story is to not get too attached to phrases like "what is the point..." They automatically imply a purpose when it's possible that there is none. In this case I think it's very likely that there is a purpose for the female orgasm(other than a second date) as it involves sex and is therefore subjected to intense selective pressure, however one must always be cautious.

21. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I tell my girlfriend that all the time. Then I roll over and go to sleep.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I like it when she starts to quiver all over her body. :yay::shake:

23. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member