Palestine pushes for UN general assembly recognition

Discussion in 'World Events' started by chimpkin, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

classic
    so wonderfully biblical and shit
    so frikking exotic

i think i shall go fight for zion
    ja
    that is what i shall do

Aren’t they beautiful? Pure faith mixed with youth. It’s the most erotic thing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

You know that the Palestinians will almost assuredly win a general assembly recognition...and then Israel will attack them.

It's predictable as an opera, except the bodies are all really dead and the screaming children are not paid actors.

I just thought about that...but that's exactly what will happen: another round of collective punishment.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

There will be a false flag terror event blamed on Iran, Syria or Yemen to start a war which will delay/derail the vote before it happens. WWIII is in the offing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. p-brane Registered Senior Member

If the UN general assembly recognizes palestine, should a miss gaza be allowed in the miss universe pageant next year?

8. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

No. Why do you ask?

9. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

In the present context, it's the idea that all nations are entitled to erect states to protect, shelter and advance themselves.

Easy enough - but at what level? Individual freedom and self-determination? National freedom and self-determination?

This isn't a push for statehood. It's a push for UN recognition.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

As Netanyahu said Shake Shake

So Sheikh Sheikh Turki Al Faisal feels his shaky seat of power needs to be propped up with some sticky words

And the Jordanian people demand a million man march to the Israeli Embassy, forcing King Abdullah to stick his fingers in his throat:

...and NOW!

And Bibi says" Shake Shake

Meanwhile Israel prepares for Palestinian statehood by arming and training settlers

So which bench will the US occupy in September? What Will Obama Dooooooooooooooooooooo?

11. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

I doubt the special US-Saudi relationship will have any affect.. It'll be like the drone attacks in Pakistan. Gov will lie to the people, while still deal with the Americans behind the scene. I don't think that will be a worry.. But maybe because of so many governments being overthrown Saudi's might get scared of that, and then seriously have problems with US because of this reason, not because of anything else. Just an opinion though.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

see this:

Or this:

The US Congress is the Knesset

So is Saudi opinion going to make a difference? Gawrsh, no way. But the very fact that Turki is putting that point across shows that there is something brewing in the mix.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The International Association of Democratic Lawyers has sent a letter to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon saying that a veto of the Palestinian statehood initiative would be illegal under the UN charter.

http://www.iadllaw.org/

14. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

What i dont understand that what do the US and israel want the palestinians to do then if they dont accept this.. They can go on about negotiations but that just appears to be stone walling by Israel.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

More peaceful demonstrations, like this one:

We began near the mosque, walking through the village and down the hillside which ended in a road that marked the boundary. Directly on the other side of this road is an illegal Israeli Settlement. At the crest of the hill we could see the military vehicles parked along the road and maybe 20-30 soldiers standing like sentries among the rocks and trees waiting for us. I must make it clear that at no time did anyone cross outside the village perimeter. No one confronted the soldiers. They simply spread out along THEIR hillside, holding flags, singing, chatting with new friends and even sitting in the shade of trees for a drink of water. This went on without incident for maybe 30 minutes. This is only my opinion, but I believe the soldiers were bored and grew tired of being there. Nothing was happening that warranted their presence. Without provocation, they began firing tear gas canisters at us.

I assumed at the time this was normal practice and that they just wanted us to disperse so they could leave. I had no idea it was only the beginning of a day long attack that continued long after everyone was forced into their homes with windows and doors shut tight to escape from the gas. When the first assault began, everyone began retreating back up the hill towards the center of the village. The terrain is rough and it's hard enough to run uphill without battling tear gas at the same time. Not only does it burn your eyes making them tear so much you cannot see, when it hits your lungs the feeling is one of suffocation which of course makes you panic. One other nasty effect I was unaware of until then was that it also burns any exposed skin.

Anyway, we retreated to the top of the hill, recovered a bit and began walking towards the other end of the village and we were assaulted again. There were now soldiers on the hills all around the village and the canisters were flying at us from all directions. It was impossible to know which way to run. People were falling down, unable to see through tears and the scarves and t-shirts over their faces. The panic you feel is unbelievable. Everything burns and you cannot get away from it fast enough. The gas itself isn't even the most dangerous part. They're firing directly at you and at such close range that the canisters themselves can cause grievous injury if you take a direct hit which several people did. Volunteers from the Red Crescent were in the village in case of injuries but it's chaos during such an event and it's difficult to know what's happening right in front of you.

Most everyone (excuse my choice of words) hauled ass for shelter inside a house. Any house. I really thought that must be the end of it because what else could their goal be but to interrupt the demonstration and send everyone running back into their homes. Maybe 20 people took shelter in the same house as me. Everyone was checked to make sure they were alright, eyes were rinsed out, the older women and youngest children went into an interior room where they were protected from the windows. When the shots became fewer, we ventured onto the rooftops to see what the IDF was doing. By this time they were on foot and walking through the village, periodically firing at anyone that was still out demonstrating. It calmed down for awhile though they wouldn't leave. Every so often they would fire tear gas close enough that we would have to retreat back inside the stairwells, close the doors and wait. During these hours the "shabab" (young men) of the village began the rock throwing. This I struggle to understand. I know they are angry and they are provoked but I can't comprehend how it results in such blatant disregard for their own lives. The odds of them actually inflicting any harm on a soldier in riot gear or an armored vehicle is so small that I cannot understand their willingness to risk injury, arrest or even death to accomplish this. I want to understand but right now it makes my head hurt just trying to rationalize this behavior. The adults do not even try to stop them. When a rock hits a vehicle, everyone cheers. Nevermind that as soon as it happens, the soldiers open the doors, jump out and start firing rubber bullets at them.

At some point, the IDF seemed to leave. They vanished from the streets which only made me fear what was coming next. Some vehicles were still down on the road and we could hear shots in the distance but no soldiers were visible. The shabab seemed to have expected this and they immediately began constructing a road block at the main entrance to the village, right next to the house we were in. I sat on the roof and watched them turn over dumpsters and push them into the center to block the road. Then they began piling rocks and so I knew what was coming. We didn't have to wait long. A caravan of military vehicles (maybe 6 or 7 of them) came speeding in from the other direction. They tried to run the roadblock, which eventually they were able to get over or around, but they were pelted by stones while doing so. I don't even remember the soldiers firing at that point. It seemed like this must happen every Friday. Maybe it does. They only raced away while everyone cheered. I don't get it. What was the purpose of almost 8 hours of occupying this village?

http://mondoweiss.net/2011/09/an-am...-bank-the-panic-you-feel-is-unbelievable.html

Because only when Palestinians demonstrate peacably against the fuckwits that oppress them, will they deserve a state. To underline how important it is that the Palestinians emulate Gandhi it is only necessary to note that Americans have increased military aid to Israel in 2011

16. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

thanks sam that is an exampelk fo what they could or should do but does ISrael/US want them to do that???

17. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

I've heard the same. Apparently Saudi tanks crossed into Yemen to help the Government in the suppression of its people, with American approval. The whole thing is a smoke-screen. The Saudis need the Americans more than the Americans need the Saudis, and everyone knows it.

18. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Hey mate, long time!

19. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Well, Netanyahu seems to want Palestine to just disappear entirely and stop bothering him. Obama is more-or-less trapped in a reactive posture due to the present electoral cycle, and so not really dealing in longer-term strategy in that sense.

20. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I really have to wonder why the Palestinians couldn't have delayed this a few months until after the US election, to give Obama the maximum possible flexibility. He would have still been pushed to make promises to Israel on the issue prior to the election, but he could have remained non-committal by throwing the ball into Israel's court and saying he would only veto the UN proposal if Israel has a "reasonable" alternative to consider, leaving "reasonable" to be ambiguous but "consistent with existing administration policy". Obviously when a US president says their relationship with Israel is "unbreakable", they don't mean "even if they start committing a full-scale genocide/apartheid in the West Bank", and if Obama were asked to clarify this position, he could also call such actions by Israel "unthinkable" and thus dodge the question, leaving it open to act on the issue of Israel were to indeed do the unthinkable.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Is it a fair thing to ask of the Palestinians?

From an American political perspective it is certainly a compelling question, but I'm not sure it is necessarily a fair one to the Palestinians. In the end, I do not expect that there is a time in the next decade when the U.S. wouldn't veto a Palestinian petition for statehood. In that sense, I'm not certain what the suggestion is asking of Palestinians. Wait a little longer, leave a few more to die, maybe risk another invasion by Israel, in order that President Obama might enjoy a slight reduction in political conflict while botching the situation just as he would anyway?

Personally, I think that in funding Israeli attempts at ethnic cleansing, the U.S. has forfeit any substantive claim to moral authority in the issue.

I think we should abstain from the Security Council vote. I understand that disagreeing with Israel is political suicide in the U.S., but we are the mighty empire, and we control the purse strings; we ought not be the poodle here.

22. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I've said as much before. An Obama that doesn't have to worry about re-election, is not an Obama that would be bothered by the pre-emptive attempts by the GOP field to cast the very fact of the PA going to the UN as a massive failure of Obama's foreign policy.

But possibly the point is as much for Abbas to be seen siezing the initiative and imposing costs on the other players, in which case now is as good a time as any. Like most international politics, it's as much about the players' domestic politics as anything else, and Abbas seems to need a boost rather badly as of late.

23. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I've actually been wondering lately if the politicians aren't getting out ahead of themselves on this reflexive fear of crossing Israel. You've got an Israeli PM that is basically thumbing his nose at the US President, and not paying any price for such. And although the GOP is pleased as punch to dress this all up as a failure on Obama's part, I sort of doubt that the majority of voters (of either party) appreciate the one-sided nature of the relationship lately.

Frankly, I was hoping for Obama to tell Netanyahu to go piss up a rope some time back, once he'd tried the good-faith approach and Netanyahu had pointedly demonstrated that he's exactly the obstructionist tool that everyone already knew he was. Seems to me that Israel sees the writing on the wall, and Bibi is simply trying to stall long enough to leave all of the tough choices to whoever succeeds him.