UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

I find it curious that given I spend so much time looking at the night sky and often all night photographing nebula and galaxies on a regular basis but never have the luck to see a UFO on any of the thousands upon thousands of photos that I have taken and indeed none of the guys on the astronomy forum I attend have had no better luck. I have been on that forum since 2005 and not one report of a UFO from any of the 15,000 off folk who have come and gone... between all of us there would be millions of photos...I take up to 250 in one evening never a UFO..yet someone going out to get a pizza looks up and spots one right away pulls out their phone and records their UFO ...mmm sure ..those photos are fake for sure..and eye witnesses..mmm...I don't believe them..liars or fools take your pick.
I guess astronomers and astro photographers are just unlucky.
Alex
I know you're perpetually bored and just out to bait 'ufo nuts', as James R loves to troll it, but anyway....
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/12/UFO-Sightings-by-Astronomers-Photos.html

That is a 2 dimensional elliptical shape.
OK, so you acknowledge that the object in the video may or may not be disc-shaped. It may be ellipsoid, or flat or any number of other shapes that - when viewed from a single angle - make an elliptical cross-section.

That's a little better than "I see with my own eyes a black disc shape".

And now you see how you can't trust your own eyes if you want to get to the truth about some things.

Alright then..
Well, kudos for finally recognizing - after - what? a year and thousands of wasted posts - that you can't always trust your eyes. An elliptical shape is not always a disc. This is progress - of a sort.

"I see with my own eyes a black ufo."
But you don't of course.

You see a video.

You interpret 2D pixels as if they are a 3D object within the scene. You interpret dark pixels as a black object. You then subsequently interpret all sorts of things - including how far away this interpreted object might be, and from that, how large it might be. All these are confirmation bias.

That's fine for a tree or a car (there is no contention about their existence and they violate no laws), but it's not fine when we see something that is not immediately explainable.

Not all objects in recorded videos are recordings of things in the scene.

Last edited:
Here's a famously clear photo of a ufo photographed by Hannah McRoberts in Vancouver BC in October of 1981. It was captured by accident as she was attempting to photograph a volcanic cloud plume. The photo along with its negative were analyzed by experts and it was concluded that the object in the photo is a real airborne object. The object is not a bird, a cloud, an airplane, or a weather balloon. Conclusion: it is a disc-shaped ufo.

https://www.ufocasebook.com/hannahphoto.html

Here's a famously clear photo of a ufo photographed by Hannah McRoberts in Vancouver BC in October of 1981.
I hope you didn't choke on all the dust you had to blow off that one.

Never mind the report is 40 years old - that webpage is fifteen years old!

What is this? The "Archived History of the Internet" forum?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting this is dismissible simply because it's almost 40 years old. But, in the intervening 4 decades, it has shed no further knowledge about this or any other unsolved cases.

The trail of analysis has gone cold, there is nothing further to be gleaned from this photo, and it can do no more now but grace the walls of MUFON's offices to remind them what they're fighting for.

Last edited:
Alex
Nice post Alex, and spot on!
While certainly the small percentage of sightings that are unexplained, could possibly be Alien craft, we just do not have the convincing evidence to come to that conclusion. They are simply UFO's and unidentified.
And as I keep mentioning, and none has yet explained it to me...why do these Aliens keep flittering in and flittering out again, without making their supposed visitations official?
Ahh the pain of it all!:p

“Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after death?
No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst out "Don't you believe in anything?"
Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”

― Isaac Asimov

So the cellphone just made up this picture of a flying disk?

I only see the incredible lengths skeptics will go to deny the evidence right in front of them. Denial is a powerful thing, particularly when it is motivated by a personal worldview.

"If it was something real, then it was irrelevant, not compelling, considering there were dozens if not hundreds of vehicles on that highway. Surely if it was something of import, people would have stopped and taken clean, crisp, clear videos or pictures of it, lots of them."

You completely ignored what I said and instead went into a rant. It's obvious to me you have no interest whatsoever in finding truth, but instead only want to see what you want to believe as you have completely divorced yourself from reality, there is no getting through to you at all with reason.

I find it curious that given I spend so much time looking at the night sky and often all night photographing nebula and galaxies on a regular basis but never have the luck to see a UFO on any of the thousands upon thousands of photos that I have taken and indeed none of the guys on the astronomy forum I attend have had no better luck. I have been on that forum since 2005 and not one report of a UFO from any of the 15,000 off folk who have come and gone... between all of us there would be millions of photos...I take up to 250 in one evening never a UFO..yet someone going out to get a pizza looks up and spots one right away pulls out their phone and records their UFO ...mmm sure ..those photos are fake for sure..and eye witnesses..mmm...I don't believe them..liars or fools take your pick.
Alex

Alex isn't the only one, there are hundreds of thousands of amateur astronomers all over the world, many who have commercial grade class telescopes and photography equipment who watch the skies night after night, never seeing anything such as the kooks who want to believe in visiting aliens. Looking at you, MR.

I know you're perpetually bored and just out to bait 'ufo nuts', as James R loves to troll it, but anyway....
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/12/UFO-Sightings-by-Astronomers-Photos.html
Hi Q-reeus I hope you are well. I was not really trying to bait anyone although in reflection I do regret calling people liars or fools but I did have mind more folk who make up stuff.
And thank you for the link I enjoyed reading it but I don't feel inclined to comment.
UFO s are just that... I find the claims they are anything more tiresome.
Alex

"If it was something real, then it was irrelevant, not compelling, considering there were dozens if not hundreds of vehicles on that highway. Surely if it was something of import, people would have stopped and taken clean, crisp, clear videos or pictures of it, lots of them."

You completely ignored what I said and instead went into a rant. It's obvious to me you have no interest whatsoever in finding truth, but instead only want to see what you want to believe as you have completely divorced yourself from reality, there is no getting through to you at all with reason.

Good. Then move on. Nobody's making you look at the evidence I'm presenting here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting this is dismissible simply because it's almost 40 years old.

He says as he then dismisses it for being too old because that's the only thing he can say against it. What's the expiration date for evidence of ufos? :rolleyes:

I have no more interest in your idiotic buffoonery. Carry on making an ass of yourself.

Perfect example of the skeptic who gets so upset over the compelling evidence for ufos that he has to shoot the messenger instead. James R is also a prime example of that. Ad homs and insults are the last childish resort of those who have run out of arguments for their position.

Last edited:
Nice post Alex, and spot on!
Thank you.
While certainly the small percentage of sightings that are unexplained, could possibly be Alien craft, we just do not have the convincing evidence to come to that conclusion.
"Unexplained" remains so until it evolves into fact no doubt but I feel the speculation re Aliens has little basis (if any at all) and perhaps is best ignored.
And as I keep mentioning, and none has yet explained it to me...why do these Aliens keep flittering in and flittering out again, without making their supposed visitations official?
Why indeed.
The folk who would have these aliens to be real are similar to those who would have a god as real...both think by talking about their pet delusion they bring substance to their myth rushing way past any requirement for a reasonable establishment of fact. Both remind me of children talking about ghosts and frightening themselves sitting in the dark and abandoning reason.
One could think if we are able to observe a second Moon for Earth I understand (at this point) to be a metre in diameter we should have no problem confirming that UFO s are what ever they are.
Alex

"Unexplained" remains so until it evolves into fact no doubt but I feel the speculation re Aliens has little basis (if any at all) and perhaps is best ignored.
Oh, I certainly 100% agree! It's just that I'm such a nice sensitive bloke, that I'm doing my best to let them down to reality as gently as possible. :p:D

Back