What does God want?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Omnimax actually, so even better than ambidextrous.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

I have no doubt there has been influence of religious history, as has almost everything in the world been influenced.
    But that is beside the point.
    Desists reject scripture, reject direct revelation etc.
    You might not agree with it, or not believe it, but if you insist on making scripture a necessity for discussion you are dismissing their beliefs, and doing so in an arrogant and insulting manner.
    Ironic that you say that it is nothing to do with your belief and then state one of your beliefs.
    Not a true understanding of the theistic version of God that you believe in, perhaps.
    True understanding of the God they believe in, though?
    The God that they believe in did not simply exist due to cultural influences, but because it is the reality.
    Did they arrive at their belief absent any curltural or intellectual influence?
    No.
    But the issue is what they believe, not the reasons they believe.
    And if you insist on the necessity of what they don't believe in then you are insisting on discussion being only about your version of God, no matter how correct you believe yourself and your version to be.
    It would be no different than insisting an atheist start with the a priori assumption that God exists.
    Of course scriptures have an influence on cultures.
    Words get into the vocabulary.
    Words get used.
    Yet all of it is irrelevant.
    If desists believe in the existence of a God that has no direct involvement, no scriptures, no revelation, then who are you to tell them that they're wrong, that they must accept the scriptures that they specifically reject.
    It is your belief against theirs.
    Nothing more.
    For you to insist upon yours being correct is simply your belief speaking.
    All irrelevant.
    It is not a matter of how a belief might originally have formed but in what that belief is.
    Deists believe in a God that provides no scriptures, no revelation.
    End of.
    Insisting upon scriptures to define their God is simply fallacious on your part.

But as said, fortunately for you there appear to be no Deists to be directly insulted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Didn't the Aztec's have altars and gods and other religious trappings?

Did I miss some archeological find where they found copies of the Holy Bible?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

So just to be clear, we have to be careful about falling back on definitions in scripture that God is the source of everything because we may offend the deists who happens to reject scripture in toto and also happen to work with some definition other than God being the source of everything yet are still working with a sufficiently personal form of God (one that has form, desires, plans etc) so as to participate as per the OP?
    The fact that you have to theoretically fill the shoes of such a rare creature in order to advocate their position should be a clue as to how preposterous you are being.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Most of the books in the bible have names of the authors, no?

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

No and I don't remember any that are authored by God.

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

How about the Books of the Old and New Testament?
    Are these verbatim from the named source or passed down as hearsay narratives?

11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I know who the books are about, I don't know who wrote them.

Write4U likes this.
  12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Actually we know more about the unnamed books. We know those were oral mythology by thoughtful but naive and scientifically ignorant tribal shepherds

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

One of those could have been God. I always thought God was a naive shepherd.

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I think it started much earlier than that. There are studies which show that alpha chimpanzees already run around beating the bushes and cursing the heavens during a thunder storm. Where most other animals cower and seek shelter, the chimpanzee shows clear demonstrations of warning to the unseen powerful enemy that makes loud noises and throws water from above, scaring his tribe and making him wet.

I truly believe religion started with the first mind which could think in simple abstract terms.
    Fight or flight is the foundation for judging and taking actions when presented with unknown and uncontrollable situations.

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

The way they are written could have been one of the sheep

Afterall it was the time of miracles

Write4U likes this.
  16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

In them there days the sheep were smarter than the average sheep. I'm sure it must have been a sheep that invented the term Sheeple,

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

If they were really smart they would have invested Snapple.

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

In the beginning there were 3 who followed a star with gifts for a baby born of a virgin (said to be aged about 14), impregnated by a spirit

Ya right

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

A male baby at that!!!!!

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Thought bubble - did poor Joseph get any action on the honeymoon?

If the info floating around JC had a brother?

Soooo how was it - being a, I guess, half bro to god?

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Free beer forever

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Well at least atheists do not crucify theists for being theist. That's what theists do to atheists and what's even worse, to other theists. I call that the height of hubris.

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

That is the point. Deist come to their understanding of God via the scripture.
    They accept at least one part of the Bible ''In the beginning God created the Heavens, and the Earth.

They don't reject God as creator.

They believe God created the universe, theists believe God created the universe. How is that dismissing their beliefs?

jan.

Musika likes this.