We Are Not Alone

Dont hope for a meeting that can turn out to be the end of our civilization in less than it takes match to burn.

Our civilization is clearly not ready for contact, yet. There is a characteristic our civilization has not developed yet that keeps us from being part of the rest of the intelligent universe. I wouldnt know what characteristic they are looking for, my guess is compassion...but I could very well be wrong.

Our civilization is clearly not ready for contact, yet. There is a characteristic our civilization has not developed yet that keeps us from being part of the rest of the intelligent universe. I wouldnt know what characteristic they are looking for, my guess is compassion...but I could very well be wrong.
I agree, most of us are not ready.

Astronomers don't have to look far. If Life did originate from comets as some theories assume, these comets could be traced back. And even so, just look at Europa, the potential of the moon to harbor life is beyond most of the planets found out of solar system.

proof of what? That the reason we are still alive is to see if our civilization has what it takes not to destroy itself?

You said we are alive for a reason. Do you have proof that what you say is the truth?

If I can relate it to the topic at hand then I can interpret it more than one way.... We're here because we are destined to meet aliens.....we are alive because aliens want it that way..... we are alive because we aren't dead yet and it would be difficult to contact us if we're extinct...etc. etc.

New study suggests there are thousands of alien civilizations in our galaxy alone.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm?lss
The study did not suggest that at all.
article said:
"Not only are they probably habitable but they probably are also going to be inhabited," Dr Boss told BBC News. "But I think that most likely the nearby 'Earths' are going to be inhabited with things which are perhaps more common to what Earth was like three or four billion years ago." That means bacterial lifeforms.

How Alan Boss came to his conclusion regarding abundant Earth-type planets is very unclear.
article said:
So far, telescopes have been able to detect just over 300 planets outside our Solar System.

Very few of these would be capable of supporting life, however. Most are gas giants like our Jupiter; and many orbit so close to their parent stars that any microbes would have to survive roasting temperatures.

But, based on the limited numbers of planets found so far, Dr Boss has estimated that each Sun-like star has on average one "Earth-like" planet.

This conclusion is completely contrary to what we have observed to date and to models of planetary formation. There may well be no terrestrial planets in those systems with hot Jupiters. Those hot Jupiters form roughly where our Jupiter formed but migrate starward due to interaction with the accretion disk (Type II migration). If terrestrial planets did form in such systems, they would most likely very water-rich. Of those planetary systems we have found that don't hot Jupiters, most have giant planets with highly eccentric orbits. These would wreck havoc with the orbits of any terrestrial planets that did manage to form.

IMO, the best resolution of the Fermi paradox is that there are no other intelligent species in our galaxy.

IMO, the best resolution of the Fermi paradox is that there are no other intelligent species in our galaxy.

And best assumption of Fermi paradox is that life does not exist to begin with. This is all an illusion. You DH dont exist. Oh how in this mathematical anamoly did Earth even have a chance.

Back