Raising Children Without the Concept of Sin

They didn't cause the chaos, God did by cursing them and mankind forever more, hence the acceptance of divine law is a thing of the past never to be repeated simply because its a foregone conclusion.

You can run with this nonsense idea, but you cannot hide. You, along with every independent human will be judge by divine law. Period.

Jan.

Since nobody knows what divine law is, "rebellion" is not foolish but unavoidable.

Unless we have a broken brain, or mind. Every independent thinking human knows what divine law is, so stop lying to yourself.

In many cultures children are raised by relatives or other members of the community - not parents. These cultures are no more chaotic than average.

Of course they are parents.
Do you have kids?

So how do we know when we have "gone away" from that divine law, when we don't know what it is?

We consciously try to rebel against divine law.
You know exactly what it is, but because it has the word “divine” in it, you associate it wit God, and because you have subconsciously convinced yourself that there is no God, you reject it.

Jan.

Jan's argument is easily refuted. Are all non-Christian cultures in chaos?

I’m not talking about religion.
Why are you?
If you want to refute me, then at least talk about what I’m talking about.

Does original sin mean that we can never have non-chaos?

“Original sin”, means the origin of sin, which is the idea that either there is no God, or God is under the whim of the individual, IS the cause of chaos.

Does the existence of sin in general even among Christians mean that a non-chaotic state is impossible to achieve?

For some reason, you seem locked into the idea that people who are regarded as “ Christian”, are different to anyone else. While some may hold that they are perfect, and their religion is the only real religion of God, it doesn’t mean it is true.
So I don’t see s persons professed religion, I tend to look at their individual character

Is it possible that sin codifies laws that secular society determined necessary for social cohesion?

It is because of sin why there are laws.
Sin begins by disobedience to God [original sin]

Extra credit:
Does the commandment not to have other gods before me mean that other gods exist?

Of course it does.
Humans can be weak (increasingly so), so they pray god’s for material success, and comforts.
They know that gods aren’t God, but they want success in this life, in this body. They are less interested in devoting their life to God, because that means restrictions.

Jan.

I’m not talking about religion.
Why are you?
If you want to refute me, then at least talk about what I’m talking about.
We were discussing Adam and Eve. That's religion.
For some reason, you seem locked into the idea that people who are regarded as “ Christian”, are different to anyone else.
Yup. You claim they follow certain behaviors that minimize chaos.
So I don’t see s persons professed religion, I tend to look at their individual character
Me too, which is the opposite of following a set of divine law. Religion defines these laws.
Sin begins by disobedience to God
How do you know what behavior is disobedient?

No it’s not.
If a society deviates from divine law, it becomes corrupt, and usually ends in chaos.
Repetition is not support. You have not defended this unfounded assertion.

A society can exist for a while, being a law unto itself, but eventually it will implode.
Demonstrably false, as witnessed by most of the world.

As far as you’re aware, there is no God. Hence you are an atheist.
OK, if we're going to keep going there...
God is an illusion that lives in your mind. Hence you are delusional.

Jan, you are wasting screen space by simply repeating the same unfounded beliefs over and over. You don't defend them; you simply repeat them like a mantra.

This is not your soapbox. If you're not going to engage in good faith discussion (defending assertions, eschewing ad homs), then step aside, so others can.

Unless we have a broken brain, or mind. Every independent thinking human knows what divine law is, so stop lying to yourself.
You don't.
Of course they are parents.
It is common, in many societies, for children to be raised by people who are not their biological parents.
You claimed that was contrary to divine law, and chaos would result. That has not, in general, happened.
I don't.
You know exactly what it is, but because it has the word “divine” in it, you associate it wit God, and because you have subconsciously convinced yourself that there is no God, you reject it.
Misrepresentation, personal attack based on the misrepresentation -

the overt Abrahamic theist posts on a science forum. Why?

We were discussing Adam and Eve. That's religion.
No it isn’t.

Yup. You claim they follow certain behaviors that minimize chaos.

No I didn’t.

Me too, which is the opposite of following a set of divine law. Religion defines these laws.

It doesn’t matter who defines divine law, nor does it matter what you call it.

How do you know what behavior is disobedient?

God knows.
Some people say “the universe knows”?
On a clear day, we all know. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Jan

Jan says: "It doesn’t matter who defines divine law, nor does it matter what you call it."

OK, then, I define God's law as send Spidergoat all your money.

Jan says: "God knows."

If we don't, then we can't follow it. If we do, then it's not divine.

It is common, in many societies, for children to be raised by people who are not their biological parents.
You claimed that was contrary to divine law, and chaos would result. That has not, in general, happened.

Why do you think parents can only be so called, if they are biological parents?

Misrepresentation, personal attack based on the misrepresentation -

It’s not a personal attack.
You are atheist, which means you can’t believe in God.

You have convinced yourself there is no evidence for God, therefore there is no God, until such time one can be observed.
If you are the standard by which God can or can not be shown to exist, then you have chosen to accept that there is no God (until you decide there is).

Jan.

Why do you think parents can only be so called, if they are biological parents?
By your distinguishing "their parents" (adoptive or otherwise) from the other people who raise children.
It’s not a personal attack.
It is. You deal in little else.
You are atheist, which means you can’t believe in God.
Another falsehood.
You have convinced yourself there is no evidence for God, therefore there is no God, until such time one can be observed.
Another falsehood. The fundie two-step: misrepresentation, and then - - -
If you are the standard by which God can or can not be shown to exist, then you have chosen to accept that there is no God
- - the personal attack (assigning to me the faults of shortsighted arrogance and pride your strawman possesses).

The first question is why. Why do the overt Abrahamic theists on this and other science forums post like that?
The second would be, here, the illumination the answer to that would provide for understanding the influence of the concept of sin - something closely associated with Abrahamic theism - on children raise with it.

It makes no difference what you say.
You are forced to operate under divine law. And you will be judged by it.
Those who try to sidestep it, and make up their own rules, will be judged by divine law.
But which one? There are so many.

I have friends who are gay. I haven't killed them. Am I condemned to hell for breaking the divine law of Leviticus?

I don't follow Hindu orthopraxy other than coincidentally. Am I destined for Naraka?

I have never heeded a fatwa by the muftis. Am I doomed to spend eternity in Jahannan?

On the plus side, I've helped out a lot of wanderers, and it was rumored that Odin often traveled in the disguise of a wanderer. So I might wind up in Valhalla - sweet!

It makes no difference what you say.
You are forced to operate under divine law. And you will be judged by it.
What is this "divine law" you keep mentioning?

You keep saying that this or that is an example of divine law, but where is this law to be found? Is it just whatever you say it is?

Also, about this "forcing" you mention. What is forcing anybody to operate under divine law? What does that even mean?

As for judgment, which you seem particularly concerned about, when will that happen, according to you? And how does it work? Who is the judge, and where is the courtroom?

Every independent thinking human knows what divine law is, so stop lying to yourself.
This "divine law" of yours is like innate knowledge of God that you say you have, then. Is that what you're saying? It's a kind of magical sixth sense you think we all have about what God orders?

Why? Tell me why you consciously try to rebel against divine law, Jan. Especially seeing as you're so worried about the Judgement and all.

“Original sin”, means the origin of sin, which is the idea that either there is no God, or God is under the whim of the individual, IS the cause of chaos.
I thought "original sin" referred to Adam and Eve's failure to obey God's instruction not to get knowledged-up.

For some reason, you seem locked into the idea that people who are regarded as “ Christian”, are different to anyone else.
Actually, Christianity is unusually preoccupied with the idea of "sin", in a way that many other religions are not. It's fair to say that "sin" is the main "problem" facing humanity, from a Christian point of view. Christianity's "solution" to the problem is Jesus's self-sacrifice, which is supposed to absolve humanity of sin.

Other religions have different central "problems" that they identify, and different "solutions".

Sin begins by disobedience to God [original sin]
There you go! You do know this stuff!

[¡#mosh!]

Very nearly entertainment:

Am I condemned to hell for breaking the divine law of Leviticus?

Where to start: How is it I've never realized you're a Jew?

Meanwhile: Which law?

And because it's not necessarily irrelevant: Would you recognize it if you were condemned to Hell?

I don't follow Hindu orthopraxy other than coincidentally. Am I destined for Naraka?

Not unless it turns out you are, and that wouldn't be enough to do it, anyway.

I have never heeded a fatwa by the muftis. Am I doomed to spend eternity in Jahannan?

Again, not for that. Otherwise, no, unless it happens to turn out that way.

How is it I've never realized you're a Muslim?

On the plus side, I've helped out a lot of wanderers, and it was rumored that Odin often traveled in the disguise of a wanderer. So I might wind up in Valhalla - sweet!

One of those unless it turns out that way, things. Meanwhile, did you ever hear the Tale of Douglas↱?

Today's bonus, by the way, is not quite a dance party.

Back