Now reading (The Book Thread)

Agree! And, sometimes I like that writing style, but when characters are not properly introduced, and authors take for granted that you should just know who they're talking about, it's annoying.
I like Tolstoy but I don't think I ever finished "War and Peace" for similar reasons...too long and too many characters. Even though Dickens novels are long and most of Tolstoy's other novels, I have read them and didn't feel the same way.

A thick novel is OK but a thick novel with 15 different stories going on at the same time or 100 different characters, nah, too much work.:)

I’m watching The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu and it’s riveting; I can only imagine how incredible the book is, so giving it a go. If it’s true that most books are far better than their film adaptations, anyway.

I’m watching The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu and it’s riveting; I can only imagine how incredible the book is, so giving it a go. If it’s true that most books are far better than their film adaptations, anyway.
It's great TV. My impression is that the standard has dropped off a little in the most recent couple of seasons, but it's still worth watching. The first few seasons are, as you say, riveting.

I haven't read the books. I think I heard somewhere that the TV show departs from the books in a number of ways. But Margaret Atwood definitely had input into the TV series.

Last edited:
rereading incryptids by Seannan Mcguire. interesting that it lets monster be monsters but not overly judge them for it. especially books 9 and 10 where the man characters species is a psuedo-mammalian telepathic parasitic wasp type person.

The Bold and Magnificent Dream
America's Founding Years, 1492 - 1815

By Bruce and William B. Catton

Fascinating stuff. I've read a number of Bruce Catton's works on the American Civil War, and his knack for narrative seems as evident in this work as the others. A couple of digressions into the background/backdrop of world events relating to or influencing American history seemed a bit lengthy & detracted ever-so-slightly from the main narrative, but were informative nonetheless. Plus, as I picked this hard-cover edition up at a used book sale for about 25 cents, it was well worth it. Probably shouldn't have dog-eared as many pages as I did, but historical works always prompt further research. :tongue:

Back