Is time travel possible based on theory?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Saint, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Please give the various definitions of time, ie which say it exists and which say it doesn't

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Time is the singular of timeS (plural; more than one.) A single act is time, secondary and tertiary are timeS. I'm quite certain that this is the FIRST time each of you have been here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Time is an act or the duration of an act?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Age is the word looking for

I recall in the 60s going to a show which stated we had entered the Age of Aquarius which, on checking, last around 2,150 years

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Write4U likes this.
  8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I totally uderstand your logic. I just think the term AGE of something as referring to a specific historically significant period of a certain duration in history, such as the Age of Aquarius, not a recording of an incremental chronology of every day activities.

At what age did the Age of Aquarius start, or is it at what time/date did the Age of Aquarius start?

My office opens at the time of 8.00 am every day. It would be silly to say my office opens at the age of 8.00 am every day....

"the Golden Age of Commerce", "Art", "the Age of Exploration", "the Age of Aquarius", "the Age of Love", "the Age of the Pharaos", all mean something more than a day to day recording of a running dynamic chronology of expression in reality.

This is why it just doesn't sound right if we switched terms.
    the Golden Time?, The Time of Exploration?, the Time of Aquarius?, The Time of Love?, the Time of the Pharaos? Just doesn't sound right......

OTOH, the expression "the Time is Right" cannot be replaced by "the Age is Right", unless it is a fine bottle of wine....

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/341391-it-was-the-best-of-times-it-was-the-worst

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not settled but roughly when the vernal equinox point moves out of constellation Pisces and into Aquarius. But when will that be? There’s no definitive answer.

From where I checked
    https://earthsky.org/human-world/when-will-the-age-of-aquarius-begin

I guess what we are looking at here is a word - time - being used for a long period becoming so fixed in meaning hard to change to another construct meaning (everyday to scientific)

From memory, awhile back, was a move to change - weight - to - mass - because, wait for it, weight of stuff on Earth only related to the stuff while it was on Earth, while mass was the same anywhere you go - Moon, Mars, Alpha Centauri

OK if I ever go to any of those places I will change

YES the age of wine does refer to the period from when bottled

Quote by Charles Dickens:
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

Again refering to periods

10. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Write4u, are you being yourself again? We can't do that because we're the same person.

Keep going if you want to be identical!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Kindred souls.

12. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

...just not as kindred as us (the same.)

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Good link.

Picked up on one sentence from that link and would like your interpretation;
    "For the past two thousand years, though, the sun has been located in front of the constellation Pisces at the time of this equinox."

Can you replace "the time" with "the age" in this sentence and have it mean the same thing?

14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Sure no problem

Common language same same

But science language not same same

Downloaded just over 3 Gig books and papers etc in one hit. Apparently there are over 500 items in the file. Obviously not going to read them all

Will run a scan program and hopefully pick out the ones which contain a explaination of the twin paradox

I think I am close to understanding WHY moving faster makes you (anything) age slower but just need a few more nails to say "I nailed it

"

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Let me know....I'll come running......

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I'll send you half of the papers

You can run through those

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Good stuff!
    I think I see the gist of your argument, but IMO, this does not alter the fact that time of duration emerges with the chronology of timelines of each adversary.

It seems to me that a superposition can only occur at the same spatial coordinate, but not at different temporal coordinates.

Question1: Can you have "superposition" from different "frames of reference"?
    Question2: When we look back in time could we ever discover something in superposition with something in the present?
    Question3: Are we talking about "superposition" or "entanglement"?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Haven't had any AGE (te he) to go into deep thought about ramifications of the article

About Schrodinger’s cat mentioned I think that was a mistake comparison. The cat can never be both dead and alive and not settled until seen. The cat is one or the other, it becomes KNOWN when looked at BUT BUT BUT the LOOKING is not the cause of the cats condition

Once more info the fray

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You got me hooked.

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

My cunning plan all along

22. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

Then come up with an explanation for the following often repeated experiment.

Suppose a system in a state A with measurements on it that are always exactly a. Suppose further another system in a state B whose measurements are always exactly b. Then if there exist a system C whose measurements are sometimes a and sometimes b, one says that C in a state in superposition of the states A and B.

You cannot re-invent the universe to suit your (mistaken) preconceptions

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Are you making a claim that the cat CAN be both dead and alive AT THE SAME MOMENT?