Is Science a value system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, though the benefits are many, the greatest contribution and benefit to mankind in general from astronomy, is the fact that we do obviously now realise that the Earth is not the center of the solar system, and that it is neither the center of the galaxy and the galaxy is neither the center of the universe. Couple that with the so far discovered 2000 extra solar planets, and the stuff of life being everywhere we look, it has shown us we are nothing special.

What value is there in not feeling special?

What value is there in not feeling special?

Obviously knowledge of our position within the Universe is beneficial and important to any advanced civilisation.
It will really be hard to explain that to you though, since you appear totally incapable of recognising the obvious benefits of even Satellites.
Like I asked you before, what is your real agenda?

Obviously knowledge of our position within the Universe is beneficial and important to any advanced civilisation.
It will really be hard to explain that to you though, since you appear totally incapable of recognising the obvious benefits of even Satellites.
Like I asked you before, what is your real agenda?

So again, what benefit is there in not feeling special? You made a claim. Now back it up.

To what end?
Some of us place a high value on understanding how the universe works for several reasons:

1)That understanding has led directly to a better quality of life for people here on Earth
2)What we learn in the future will likely lead to further improvements in the quality of life for people here on Earth
3)Understanding the universe and how it works is important to many of us, who see knowledge and understanding as one of Mankind's primary goals.

So again, what benefit is there in not feeling special? You made a claim. Now back it up.

Yes, I made a claim. It's been mentioned throughout the thread, in between the loads of philosophical codswallop by yourself.
Let me sum it up again for you
SCIENCE IS KNOWLEDGE: KNOWLEDGE IS BENEFICIAL:

If you are unable to accept that, then I suggest you continue to wallow in your delusions. The overwhelming vast majority of the human race, interested or not in science, would most certainly accept the fact that science is beneficial.
To claim it is not, is obtusely ignorant and dumb.

Yes, I made a claim. It's been mentioned throughout the thread, in between the loads of philosophical codswallop by yourself.
Let me sum it up again for you
SCIENCE IS KNOWLEDGE: KNOWLEDGE IS BENEFICIAL:

If you are unable to accept that, then I suggest you continue to wallow in your delusions. The overwhelming vast majority of the human race, interested or not in science, would most certainly accept the fact that science is beneficial.
To claim it is not, is obtusely ignorant and dumb.

You won't answer the question because you can't. There is no value in simply knowing we aren't special.

Some of us place a high value on understanding how the universe works for several reasons:

1)That understanding has led directly to a better quality of life for people here on Earth
2)What we learn in the future will likely lead to further improvements in the quality of life for people here on Earth
3)Understanding the universe and how it works is important to many of us, who see knowledge and understanding as one of Mankind's primary goals.

I don't think knowledge and understanding are inherently beneficial to us. It all depends if that knowledge is relevant to us or not. I can know the name and location of every star we've discovered, but that knowledge won't better my life in the least. Understanding the universe doesn't have value in itself. It all depends on there being a situation where that understanding is useful.

Your question has been answered. Don't be so ignorantly obtuse. You don't fool anyone.

And of course you havn't answered my question.
What is your agenda?
I mean all you have offered is philosophical unsupported crap.
Have you thought about the desert Isle we spoke of earlier?
You could'n't cope?
As a great man [philosopher once said]
SCIENCE IS WHAT WE KNOW: PHILOSOPHY IS WHAT WE DON'T KNOW:

I don't think knowledge and understanding are inherently beneficial to us.
Do you eat food? Get vaccinated? Use a car? Use a computer? Use a computer in your job? Use electric lights? Take showers? Then knowledge of science helps you.
It all depends if that knowledge is relevant to us or not. I can know the name and location of every star we've discovered, but that knowledge won't better my life in the least.
If you are an astronomer, navigator or science fiction author it would certainly help you.
Understanding the universe doesn't have value in itself.
And yet here you are, using a computer.

Do you eat food? Get vaccinated? Use a car? Use a computer? Use a computer in your job? Use electric lights? Take showers? Then knowledge of science helps you.

The vast majority of scientific information has no impact on my life.

If you are an astronomer, navigator or science fiction author it would certainly help you.

But I'm not. And neither is the vast majority of mankind.

And yet here you are, using a computer.

Knowledge of the universe led to the invention of the computer? Did we discover it on Mars?

Knowledge of the universe led to the invention of the computer? LOL!
Absolutely. Until we knew how electromagnetism worked we could not have hoped to build a computer. Without knowing how the universe worked in that way we'd still be trying to read chicken bones.

Absolutely. Until we knew how electromagnetism worked we could not have hoped to build a computer. Without knowing how the universe worked in that way we'd still be trying to read chicken bones.

Hey everybody! Astronomy led to the invention of the computer now! lol!

Hey everybody! Astronomy led to the invention of the computer now! lol!
You are confused. Let's review:

MR>I don't think knowledge and understanding are inherently beneficial to us.
BVN>Do you eat food? Get vaccinated? Use a car? Use a computer? Use a computer in your job? Use electric lights? Take showers? Then knowledge of science helps you.
MR>The vast majority of scientific information has no impact on my life.
BVN>And yet here you are, using a computer.
MR>Knowledge of the universe led to the invention of the computer? LOL!
BVN>Absolutely. Until we knew how electromagnetism worked we could not have hoped to build a computer.

Understanding how the universe works led us to the invention of the computer. Fact. Or are you confused about the difference between "understanding how the universe works" and "astronomy?"

You are confused. Let's review:

MR>I don't think knowledge and understanding are inherently beneficial to us.
BVN>Do you eat food? Get vaccinated? Use a car? Use a computer? Use a computer in your job? Use electric lights? Take showers? Then knowledge of science helps you.
MR>The vast majority of scientific information has no impact on my life.
BVN>And yet here you are, using a computer.
MR>Knowledge of the universe led to the invention of the computer? LOL!
BVN>Absolutely. Until we knew how electromagnetism worked we could not have hoped to build a computer.

Understanding how the universe works led us to the invention of the computer. Fact. Or are you confused about the difference between "understanding how the universe works" and "astronomy?"

Since astronomy IS the study of the universe, then you are saying astronomy led to the invention of the computer. An obviously ludicrous claim...

Ah. You are confused about the difference between "understanding how the universe works" and "astronomy."

You shoulda stuck with physical matter or nature or something. The universe generally refers to the planets and the stars and the galaxies and the spacetime that includes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back