Is science a religion?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Yazata, Jan 4, 2020.

1. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

In my opinion there is real evidence for the Exodus, but I also believe that it should be investigated more.

There is enough evidence for me, personally.

I always present the available information and ask people to decide for themselves. I always present it for their review.

That is all I really can or should do.

People can do whatever they want with the evidence.

Throw it out the window, or whatever?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

What evidence? Simple stating that some new location is the evidence, is not evidence, it's just a place on the map. Unless they find artifacts confirming the location, then there simply is no evidence.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yes. But we are children to him. Would you let your 4 year old kid smoke?

Yep. Turn the other cheek. Violence is pointless would you agree?

I agree about Islam, but I have met dozens of good Muslims.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

On the contrary, God is a child to us, our current morals are superior to His. Do you see anywhere in the Bible that prohibits slavery? Even if we considered Moses Ten Commandments, there is no commandment for slavery. THIS after 400 years of slavery in Egypt. Go figure.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, we totally can. He's the one telling us how to be moral. If he's not moral, we don't have to listen to him.

9. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

You are above the animals but below the Angels yet you think you can question God's actions?

Yes you can question them, and reject God.

I understand that completely.

10. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

I agree with that concern.

There are petroglyphs and rock paintings and two different altars and there are pillar remains and a rock quarry and a mass gravesite and evidence of the ancient brook, and water wells, and a blackened mountain top, and a Split Rock, and a cave, and the Geography also matches the Exodus Account. And even the camp area fits the account. One of the petroglyphs depicts an Egyptian style of worship. Another petroglyph depicts a Jewish Menorah. That Menorah matches the proportions and design found on the Arch of Titus built in 81 AD, over one thousand years after the Exodus.

These artifacts exist. And I have photographs and Google Earth coordinates.

I will upload photos when I get a chance in the other thread. So they can be reviewed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I can question words in a book.

davewhite04 likes this.
  12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sorry, don't even know what that means, humans ARE animals. Since I've never seen an angel, I don't really care what they might say or do. Of course, when you see one, be sure to send them my way and I'll have that discussion with them.

Absolutely, I have every right to question. What kind of moral guidance can God give when He tells you one thing and then does the opposite. There are verses in the Bible where God not only does not prohibit slavery, but actually condones it. This is not a moral God.

I don't have to reject God in order to question his actions. Aren't theists always telling us to love the sinner and hate the sins. Well, I can then not reject God but certainly I can detest and question his actions.

You said earlier that we are Gods children. What kind of father behaves so atrociously and then expects his children to not behave that way? Lead by example, right?

13. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Enjoy your conquest of questioning Gods mind.

Nothing to discuss.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Since God can only be shown to exist as words in a book, I see no mind to question.

And, if you don't question those words, then I can only assume you agree with things such as condoning slavery?

15. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

No.

I don't use the book to sort my moral code out.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SetiAlpha6:

Why didn't you cite the page you copied all those quotes from? Why weren't you up front about copying from a site that is set up with the specific aims of promoting the Creationist idea of Intelligent Design?

You told a half-truth and you were caught out.

If you were honest, you would have posted the link and saved everybody the bother of having to wade through the plagiarised quotes in your posts one by one.

When I quote somebody, I provide a reference, typically including a link to where I found the quote if it is online.

I understand your reluctance to show your true colours by exposing that you've only consulted Creationist and religious sites to get the material you choose to cut-and-paste to here. But that's really no excuse.

Excuse me?

Do you intend to apologise to your readers here for being less than honest about your source, or not?

Do you have the nerve to ask me to apologise to you merely for pointing out your duplicity?

Think about this carefully before you respond.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Another quote from the same page I linked to above.

This one appears to be a complete fabrication, too, as (Q) pointed out above.

Are you now going to go back and check that the other quotes you posted are accurate, or do you intend to keep relying on other people to point out your errors and lies?

---
    Comments on your own thoughts follow.

Currently you are in dispute as to whether the Exodus account ever happened in reality. How can you make the bald-faced claim that biblical events are "based on real people and real events", in light of your awareness that the reality of a lot of the events in the bible is very much disputed?

The first step is to be honest to yourself. If you can manage that, then you can try being honest when you engage with other people.

If you call yourself a Christian, are these your Christian standards of morality on display here? Is this the best you can do?

No.

Science isn't based on faith. It is grounded in evidence.

Did it ever claim that it could?

Meanwhile, religion hasn't got much to say about the details of how the natural world operates. So what?

I'm not sure I agree with you about the inapplicability of science to morality, but that's a separate discussion.

What do you mean by "purpose"? Why is purpose important?

Well, that's a big claim that you make, sitting in what I assume is a comfortable house surrounded by modern techological conveniences that would not exist were it not for Science. Looks to me like you're either telling lies again, or else you have a severely restricted vision of your world as it really is. Perhaps you should try taking the religious blinkers off for a minute or two and try looking around yourself.

Nonsense.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Agreed, neither do I, if we did, we'd probably be in prison by now.

19. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I could picture us in a Private Ryan production, throwing grenades for the Lord at all that opposed us.

(Q) likes this.
  20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Literally true. There is no mind to discuss with.

21. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

I was completely wrong and ignorant for using those quotes in the way that I did!

Thank you for the correction!

I apologize to you, James, and to everyone else for my comments.

Please accept my apology.

origin likes this.
  22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Thank you, SetiAlpha6. Apologies are rare around here.

sideshowbob likes this.
  23. Ethernos D Grace Registered Senior Member

Religion is to me a way of life so in a sense science is religion to some people.