How to spot misogynists and misandrists

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wegs, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

and yet the Virgin Mary is worshiped strongly....as is the "birth of Jesus"
    in fact pivotal to the Christian faith.

Humans are so full of contradictions...sigh!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

which is one of the reasons I posted:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Within this context, the baseless speculation--even when prefaced with something like, "in my personal opinion..."--essentially functions in the same manner as Trump's constant refrain: "Many people have told me..." Through insidious phrasing, he is essentially positing something as being based in fact, while passing the buck for the responsibility for qualification.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

oh it is far from baseless speculation...
    Personal experience , countless victim interviews, 50 years of searching for answers is far from baseless...

8. Bells Staff Member

It isn't wedged in.

The reason misogyny is so entrenched and flourished so well in society is because society has historically been a patriarchy, where women were considered less then men. The male dominated patriarchal system has expectations of how women have to behave, from how we dress, talk, where we work, if we work, how we behave, what we do with our bodies, our reproductive choices (we have to fight to keep them), our fundamental human rights..

These comments betray a confusion about what misogyny is. As I argued back in 2015, misogyny is not simply hatred of women. In fact, you can hate women without being a misogynist. You can even hate all women without earning the title. Imagine a society in which there are only ten women. Antonio, an ill-fated guy, is continually subjected to ridicule and bullying by the ten women. Quite understandably, Antonio soon comes to hate the ten women. But the ten women are all the women there are. So, Antonio hates all women. But he is not thereby a misogynist.

Misogyny is hate or contempt for women who don’t act in accordance with the misogynists’ patriarchal beliefs about how women should think and behave.

Misogyny of this kind does not target women who conform to the patriarchal principles misogynists abide by. This is why misogynists, when confronted, will say things like, “I don’t hate women. I love my mom and my sister. They do everything for me.” When they say this, they are speaking the truth. They don’t hate women who conform to the patriarchal dogmas they stand by. But the “I don’t hate all women” defense misfires, because misogynists need not, and usually don’t, hate all women.

Misogynists don’t hate the women who live up to their ideal of how women should be. They don’t hate women who believe or behave like they are inferior to men in ingenuity, intelligence, and integrity or who live to serve men, because this class of women occupies the social role they were destined to occupy, in the eyes of the misogynist.

Misogynistic hatred is reserved for women with power and status, women who stand up for themselves and make their own decisions, or who object to the patriarchy
    .​

Really?

You cannot see how the ideal of the virgin birth, the pure girl (who was married off to a man in his 40's mind you!) and the veneration of this "Virgin Mary" as being perfection in contrast to say, Eve, who did not do as she was told by a male figure and allowed herself to be tempted by the apple, is in and of itself a perfect example of misogyny within a strictly patriarchal religious order?

Really?

In your 50 years of searching for answers, you didn't think to read a book or say, in the last 10 years, google?

Because what you are demanding answers about and for, is widely known and understood. The rest of us understand this. Perhaps you should educate yourself on the subject at hand before posting about said subject at hand.

Exactly.

It also ensures that he will demand others prove him wrong, which means he continues to rely on his "opinion" and demand that others provide proof. It's trolling. Pure and simple.

James R likes this.
  9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

He can't be wrong about what he personally believes.
    The statement "I personally believe..." is, for all intents and purposes, true.

He could be wrong about making an argument that is predicated on that belief...

Quantum Quack likes this.
  10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Interesting POV.
    Are you saying that the Church loves what it hates?

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Gonna need a citation for that.
    I could be wrong, but it is my learning that Adam did not tell her - God told them both.

Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?
    The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis 2:4-3:24&version=NIV

OK, that's a bit murky. It seems God told Adam -and Adam told Eve what God said.

But Adam was telling the truth. She did not "do as she was told by a male figure"; she was given the word of God.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Example: power vs hate
    "I have power over my pet Dog does that mean I hate it?"
    btw I don't have a pet dog...it is only an example...

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

please correct your post... I didn't post that...

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Corrected.

Quantum Quack likes this.
  15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Maybe not the best example in a thread about misogyny?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Was it written in the book of Genesis that God hated Adam and Eve or just Eve?

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

lol
    but as an example of power vs hate perhaps it serves well?

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I think the problem is that your examples don't address the relationship between two ostensibly equitable entities.
    God versus Adam and Eve is one entity literally having the power of life and death over the other.
    Man versus dog is about owner and pet.

If man respected dog as equal, he would not leash it.
    If God respected humans as equals, he would not give them rules and enact punishment.
    If man respected woman as equal he would have no power over her.

19. Bells Staff Member

QQ did not post that. I did.

And God, as per Catholics religions, is designated as male.. He has no sex, but 'he is God' - God is the father. Stories of Jesus in the Bible - Jesus views God as his father..

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) #239 states, in reference to the Father: "God transcends the human distinction between the sexes. He is neither man nor woman: he is God."[3][4] The CCC discusses the traditional imagery and language of God as Father.[4] It notes, however, that God is not limited to this role alone—maternal imagery are also used in the Bible.[4] It also notes that human fatherhood only imperfectly reflects God's archetypal fatherhood.[4] God is referred to as masculine in Catholic teaching and practice.[12]

Though Church teaching, in line with its Doctors, holds that God has no literal sex because he has no body (a prerequisite of sex),[13][14] classical and scriptural understanding states that God should be referred to (in most contexts) as masculine by analogy. It justifies this by pointing to God's relationship with the world as begetter of the world and revelation.[15]

Hence why I said "a male figure"...

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

who literally has the power of life over death over the other (man vs dog)

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

OK, that's kind of a different argument.
    Regardless of what gender he might be assigned - as a God he did (by account) literally create her.
    Eve is not his equal; she never will be.

And - pointedly - neither is Adam.

If God treats them both the same, with the same rule, then he's not targeting Eve.

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

perhaps the contention that all misogynists are patriarchal but not all patriarchs are misogynist... might have some bearing...

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. Which is why its bad example - faulty analogy.
    Man does not literally have the power of life and death over woman.