How to spot misogynists and misandrists

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wegs, Jan 17, 2020.

1. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

OK, I'm out. Unlike some, I simply do not have the patience to deal with those who can't even be bothered to do the most elementary of reading on a subject before commencing with baseless and inane speculation.

Just looked at the wikipedia article, as I hadn't before and, frankly, do not really need to. And it would seem that you didn't even get to the second paragraph. You're simply trolling. I really do not see any other possibilities here.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

You might find it interesting that prehistoric societies weren't built on partiarchy, or ''men leading/controlling'' women. The prehistoric model was mainly based on an egalitarianism system. Patriarchy developed quite a bit later.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Is anyone even bothering to read here?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Probably because of density of population grew forcing groups to come into contact with each other.
    I am sure you have your own thoughts as to how or why patriarchy grew as a societal model..care to share?
    but e careful original thinking is not very well appreciated at this forum. As you are no doubt aware...
    Belittling members for original approahes to endemic problems IS part of the problem.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Yeah, because in lieu of reading and acknowledging the abundance of literature covering the very subject, in diverse fields ranging from social and cultural anthropology to economics, random thoughts without citation are somehow... better?!

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

2nd paragraph..
    Patriarchy is associated with a set of ideas, a patriarchal ideology that acts to explain and justify this dominance and attributes it to inherent natural differences between men and women. Sociologists tend to see patriarchy as a social product and not as an outcome of innate differences between the sexes and they focus attention on the way that gender roles in a society affect power differentials between men and women.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchy

Perhaps you should take your own complaint seriously and actually read what you are claiming to use as support for your spurious claim.

No where in the article you wish to use as support does it mention hatred towards women. It is all about POWER not hate.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Don't you have your own thoughts?
    Discussion can lead to greater depth and research if you allow it to...
    ...and why quote a source that doesn't support your claim?

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Are you really this freakin' daft? Walk me through your reasoning here--is it, like, mis- equals hate, and only hate; therefore, say, homophobia must allude only to fear of homosexuals?

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Show me a source I've cited that doesn't support my "claim." And quote me, directly. You cannot be relied upon to summarize.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'm not following what you're getting hung up on either (with the word ''patriarchy''), QQ.

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Patriarchy does not directly mean hatred of women. period.
    Patriarchy is primarily associated with Power not hate.
    A Patriarchal father can and indeed often loves his daughters.

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I have already.
    a direct quote
    post #86

Now show me a wiki article that describes patriarchy as being fundamentally misogynistic.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I see. Well, a patriarchal system often breeds hatred and contempt. I think we both know that for the purpose of this discussion, we aren’t talking about protective dads with their daughters or some such variable. lol

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

ahhh! now that's a strong point!
    "a patriarchal system often breeds hatred and contempt"
    It is inevitable that such a system could breed or generate huge problems as freewill is present in both genders. Based on the premise that oppression always leads to the desire for freedom when that oppression is no longer able to be justified or tolerated. ( regardless of gender)

18. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

A direct quote of me. Show me the claim that I made which you claim is contradicted by post #86.

It's a pretty damn simple request.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I did and quoted from it...

you then went on about
    which I responded to #80
    now your turn...

20. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

For fuck's sake. For the umpteenth time, show me a claim that I have made, which is contradicted by source material I have provided.

You do realize that me "claiming" that you have not read something, and then you subsequently extracting something from that source, in order to, fuck, I don't know, demonstrate (somehow) that you have read it--again, after--is not a contradiction, right?

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Exactly. I’m not citing sources - one can easily see how patriarchy has played out in the US, historically and even in parts of current society, today.

This isn't to suggest however that patriarchy in certain societies or sectors, isn't a power play due to hatred of women.

The history of the Roman Catholic Church would be a good example in my opinion, of a patriarchal system that breeds contempt and marginalization of women.

22. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

For that matter, you also said this:
    which, somehow, was supposed to be a response to this:
    Can you clarify for me what exactly it was that you were agreeing to?

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

here's a list of your posts...
    I did read a wiki article and found that your use of it to support your previous posts about misogyny and patriarchal societies are directly related could not be sustained.
    Patriachal systems are about power not hatred.

I think you will find we agree... ( at cross purposes perhaps)

Do you honestly believe that society is built on the hatred of women?