Gamerz

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

there it is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Hey, now you know where latvia is

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Shrike...........sorry Pollux V.
    Haven't got used to your new name yet. Why did you change it?
    and yes I know what it means.

BTW, on inet I'm also known as mythago, rain warrior, sniper, sol, solarian and el_mariachi.

Bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Why did I change my name-because, that's why.

Avatar, have you ever played imperium galactica 2? Has anyone?

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

IG2 is one of my wery favorite games also.
    I have gone through all campaigns,
    but multiplier stinks, in online battles there is only calculated your strenght and wins tht who has the larges army, but where's my strategical thinking input?

have to go now, training->
    I'm late already
    Bye!->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

yeah multiplayer wasn't too hot but the a.i in skirmish mode is awsome! The campaign is nice but skirmish is soooo much better. The scenarios weren't too great.

The bad thing is that I sold that game months ago. WAAaaaa, I waaant it baaaaaaaaaaack!

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Can anyone suggest a good mmorpg[massive multiplier online role playing game-for those who do not know].

I wana play one, only have no bank account and thus I'm seeking for a free one i.e. don't have to pay for online playing[you know one month=$$$]

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Presently www.RUNESCAPE.com is verging on moving from BETA, the question remains will it become a pay or just left play....

Anyway, you don't have to download too much, it's written in JAVA and JAVA 3D. (I've got a character on it, I left it for a while and when I come back I found that the requirements for the sword I possessed moved up, soI can't use it now

)

There is one where you can get a 5 day trial, with limits of how high you can increase your character, that's at www.darkages.com, but after 5 days you'd have to pay (you don't have to produce cards to trial it) but it is about 25Mb download.

(I did once have a go on it for a month, and managed to get a lvl 47 Warrior. which I'm sure would take some beating, as lvls get more an more difficult to accumilate). There is a lag factor for it though... Nasty lag causes a character to try and walk through a wall etc.

After running a few checks, I'm going through a site called www.mpogd.com .

How about www.ogreisland.com

I'm sure there is more out there (these are mostly Java or Flash though and in Beta)

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I thought the same as you, avatar, that I wouldn't pay for mmorpg's but as soon as I get my new comp I'll probably get-MAYBE-world war 2 online-which has been patched nicely according to a few magazines (PC GAMER) and get Star Wars Galaxies.

In my opinion the best online game out there is Starcraft: Broodwar.

Who else has any suggestions?

13. Raion Registered Member

Stagedy games. I abhor FPS, as those games include nothing that is needed in this world.

I like games like Civilization III, Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire, Outpost (which is not played anymore).

To define a role like in FPS that are totally disregarding of having a real civilization are like having no brains or minds.

Master of Orion III will be a good, fun, game.
    And XCOM brought back as UFO

efense is just fun as some kind of game while leaning more towards a type of FPS, probably will include different elements in it that include the real world counterparts, -- research, money, subject matter.

The rest of FPS are a waste of money.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

well I have to admit I've played a few FPS (First Person Shooter) games, but admittedly you do have a point Raion.

Afterall it's a bunch of gunplay, and killing people and lacking the necessary diplomacy that Alpha Centuri and others happen to carry across.

Of course as long as the FPS exist, then there should be some clue as to which ones are worth playing. (Afterall some actually put puzzles into the game, and you might even Term LARA CROFT as one of these)

I played one recently on a friends PS2 called RED FACTION, a kind of Beaten and dying miner fighting against the establishment that has tortured his comrads.

It had more of a plot in comparison to Hitman Codename: 47, which is pretty nasty, since your not saving the world from a evil and most definitely hostile alien race, but are out knocking of people with a sniper rifle, or creeping up on them when they are in the shower and grotting them.

Personally I want more STS (Space Trading Sims) flying to distant worlds to hack into a blackmarket mainframe, and sell the guns you stashed under the toilet on deck 3A of your Plasma driven X-Alpha1 Cargo jet craft.

(don't forget paying that UCROE [Universal Craft repairs of Exagile IV] insurance, that way if you break down or get shipwrecked in a lifepod you'll get picked up.)

15. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Sure, strategy games really are for more thinking than mindless shooting, they're just like an updated version of Chess. However FPS shooters do lack the brains of strategy but definitely not the fun. Lets face it: Wouldn't you rather be fighting of hordes of the nefarious zerg yourself rather than ordering hundreds of men into battle? It's even a tough decision if this applied to real life: would you rather throw your own life away rather than dozens or even hundreds of lives?

Both are fun, but FPS is more engaging and gives you a better chance to immerse yourself in any world. I really look forward to Jedi Knight 2, as I am the happy owner of Jedi Knight and I can tell you that it is one fun game.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I have to admit, once upon a time... when PS GTA 2 had just been released I was posting ideas on a bulletin board at somewhere on GTA 2 about what should be made of GTA3....

Funnily enough

it seems they come up with something that is similar to what I thought, although they did cut out the copter shot that I said they could have still kept but that would of caused module loads back and forth when you moved from first person to chopper 3rd person.

I've given it ago, admittedly it's tough to get use to, but it's worth playing.
    (If you make it to the docks on the first level and find a jump that goes over a bunch of lorry trailers, go steal a bus from the bus station and jump that for a UNUSUAL BONUS!)

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm waiting for GTA3 PC version.
    Got no PS2, I don't like consoles.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm waiting too Avatar.

I'm guessing the reason for a time delay between releasing on and then the other is because PS2 programming is suppose to be pretty tough, and is going to be difficult to convert across to a differing format. This was and still is the major problem with CROSS PLATFORM source coding.

(As a company that creates a game, now has to create one in a language destined for a PC, and then recreate the game from scratch for the PS2 etc.)

Of course if there is anyone out there creating Games that need to be moved between platforms, your best writing modular and then saving you "example modules" for both systems. Those modules can then be reused, just like how some developers just change a few graphics here and there and a few calcs and create a whole new "Clone" game.

I hope that a PC version of GTA3 will incorporate the MULTIPLAYER that GTA2 on PC incorporated (as I liked that notion)

Although there are going to be a bunch of action a persons got to do, and a PC version will probably require them to decide if a person should run round using keys, or a point and click of a mouse.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't think piont-and-click is an option here. Yust think- you're in a middle of a gun fight and need to run for cover at the same time shootin at cops. What I want to say, how can you shoot with a mouse and at the same time order movement function.
    piont-and-click is good for walk/explore/adventure games not action. A game like you describe was Vampire - the masquarade redemtion. It was a good game one of my favourates of the story, but the fighting in it was kinda lame.
    See Ya!

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

worth a try

I have found a great upcoming mmorpg. |Neocron|
    check it out @ NEOCRON

21. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

It looks cool but I'll wait for the review before I head out and buy it. MMORPG's have a history of bad games like Anarchy Online, and that also looked awsome. We'll have to see what happens.

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

while waiting for NEOCRON, you[especially Zion] should check this game. It's called UPLINK. it is a hacking symulation game. Quite good.
    For information on Uplink, visit www.introversion.co.uk

A cracked version[have no bank acount, so had to download it, but if I had one I think tht I would buy it, its worth it] can be downloaded via KaZaA

23. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know anyone who plays everquest? What's it like and is it worth the ten bucks a month? And what exactly is turn-based combat?

I'm not very experienced with rpg's, as the only one I've ever bought is Diablo 2.

(oh and by the way my necromancer, Sir Gerensino, has advanced to lvl 28 and can take down ANY opponent in act 2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.