Gamerz

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Shrike, Jedi Knights is a great game. Nice to look at also. Play it well and with joy my friend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Stryder, it is a real pleasure to read your post. The way you describe it, great really.
    Don't you like being hooked up in the corner and fight your way out again? It is so nice to look at.

The Grand Theft Auto game is a great game, you can kill every one who comes on your way, just like that.
    Nice game to get rid of your feelings after a rotten day...

Guess every gamer cheats if he/she gets the chance...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Acerbus Wanderer of the Wastes Registered Senior Member

hehe..

playstation:
    Parasite Eve 2(best ps game I think)
    FF7 and 9
    RE series except RE0 it sucked

Computer:
    FallOut series, best games ever for computer
    Star Craft
    Day Of Defeat (hlmod)
    FireArms(hlmod
    Counter-Strike(hlmod)

I play alot of strategy and RE type games.

I still love playing chess against an actual human though(computers cheat!)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah I think comps cheat too, I dunno why or HOW but somehow the comps cheat. I love chess, but I never get a chance to play with people outside my family, and I can beat everyone except my dad, we had this great game together, I brought him to his knees but I made a huge mistake and LOST. If I play him again I will win.

Yeah the Half Life stuff is awsome.

I'm still debating in my head on whether or not to get a PS2. It probably won't be long before I've amassed the $300 for it, and I really wanna get Metal Gear Solid 2. I'm not much of a console gamer, I had an N64 for awhile but I sold it when it was still worth $100

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well I test drove the PS2 from what I saw, it does have extremely fast rendering, it even has a CPU cooler which is a first I think in Console design, so it cools itself down.

It can run PS games, DVD's and music CD's, not to mention the fact that you can even get a USB keyboard and program it.
    (Of course I'm not sure to what depth you can program)

I was going to try and wait until January before buying one though, for the sales where it might be cheaper. Although I'll probably find it the same price and that I could of purchased it today.

8. Acerbus Wanderer of the Wastes Registered Senior Member

my brother bought a ps2 and it was haveing problems playing a few of his old games they wereing haveing bugs with sound and graphics in places and since he has a huge collection of ps games which he loves he took it back. I wouldnt mind haveing one for the dvd player on it. I wish i had someone at my school to play chess with

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You know what, get a computer with Windows XP.

Games you can play, you can hook up a DVD and it plays Music also. (playing games with Music)

What do you want more...???

Oh, the computer cheats, yeah, yeah. You have to practise more you mean. I know this 'cheating' of the computer. Always the same with you boys, if you can't win the game, the computer 'cheats', hahaha.

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Computer cheat???

More accurately, the program allows it to cheat. There are aways ways to load the AI at the start so that it is more challenging. Extra men at the start, extra moves, quicker build time, easier resource gathering, ect. Basically the rules are not the same for the computer as for the player.

11. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

A few..

Red Alert 2 is my favorite at the moment. The gameplay it offers rivals (but not quite beats) the original C&C. In short, this time around a nuke actually blows stuff up and a hovercraft can't fit the same amount of tanks as infantry!

If you're into graphics, Freespace 2 is a very good bet (if you like space combat sims). It's a couple years old now, but the graphics are still almost top of the line (3d card required to play).

And of course, my all time favorite, Outpost 2. This game is about 5 or 6 years old and still a lot more fun to play than most new games (multiplayer mind you, the single player mode could bore you to death right into your afterlife). Sadly, after this much time the most people you see on at a time is about 18 or so and falling. All I can do is hope for Outpost 3.

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I liked RA2 for a little while, but the graphics are so far behind (starcraft's graphics are better and that game was made years ago), and the a.i is so retarded. When I buy a strategy game I look for good a.i

Imperium Galactica 2, folks, the best A.I in a strategy game I've ever seen. I bet you could get it off of ebay for under twenty bucks. Beautiful game, beautiful graphics, fun to play, addictive, and great a.i. My comp is a celeron 433, windows 98, 8mb video card, and 64mb RAM and it worked fine. I highly recommend it.

Star Trek Armada 2 should be here any day now. It turned out that my mom, two weeks ago, forgot to press the final "buy" button on amazon.com. Gee wizzzums!

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Red Alert is a some what older game now, so it is just logical that the graphics are less then the newer games.

Still a nice game to look at it is...

Wish you all luck with your 'fights' in Space...Go Get Them!!!

14. Jay Renalsds Registered Member

I haven't ever met an A.I. for a strategy game that wasn't retarded. Even in starcraft the A.I. was never really a challenge. After so many levels (somewhere between 7-10) your pretty much doing the same thing over and over.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Just a hint for Starcraft Multiplayer against multiple AI's
    (Just to prove how stupid they really are)

If you are fighting against the Zerg the AI tends to attack before you've built up your base (As Protos or Terran) if your not careful your game usually ends up being cut real short.

Two methods needed to defeat the AI:

1: don't bother with turrets, concentrate on troops. (Mostly with Protos, with Terran Bunker them) When you get your troops up and eventually need to move them, if you've spent on mobile troops you don't have to worry about having to find more resources because you spent out on Turret defences.

2: When the first attack occurs (before you have a decent enough defence) get the attention of the attacking Zerg with your SCV's or Probes and then click your SCV's/Probes to run across the map to the other side or corner. This will allow you to see the map, get the horrid zerglings to be distracted to follow your unarmed troops and allow you the chance to rebuild/fix your base and get some troops up by the time the zerglings catch up with your unarmed units.

This has allowed many multiplayers to take place without being lost within the first 5 minutes.

16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

have you guys gotten the latest patch? Blizzard fixed up the a.i a bit, it's a lil more tougher now. I still like the game, but I'm playing STAR TREK: ARMADA 2 now!! Ha ha ha aha. I haven't been playing it long enough to give it an accurate review, though, so I'll keep everyone here posted.

Also, if you get a chance and you happen to be a trekkie then see if you can get Star Fleet Command 2: Orion Pirates. That game is awsome, I've had it for months!

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Shrike, have you been looking at my son's computer? How did you do that?

He was playing Starfleet Command 2: Orion Pirates, yesterday evening. For a change. A very nice change I have to admit.

He has a burner now and is burning every game he can lay his hands on.

Tell me how you knew that.

Can you look at someone elses computer?

Amazing...

Stryder, I love to read your posts, really, nice stories how you play your games...

18. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

ST: Armada 1 was really dissapointing. But oh well, I won it for free at flipside.com so it really doesn't matter =P

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

HE PLAYS ORION PIRATES???? HOLY MOTHERF*CKER!!!

That's wierd. We're like, exactly the same. Maybe he's my dopplganger. Wouldn't that be something.

I think at the moment my favorite race is the Federation, and I do like ST-Armada 2 but I'd have to say that I prefer Orion Pirates. My only problem with that game is the loading! Oi vey, nothing but loading!

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Shrike, perhaps my son and you should have a chat at the ICQ or MSN. He has both. ICQ changes when I am at the computer, but most of the time he is.

You can talk about all the games then...

Try Might and Magic, nice game with the most ugly and unimagineable creatures in it. And you have to fight them all, in the fog, rain and sun. And then you have to take care of all other 'things' also.

Guess you know it, it is an older game, but man, what creatures and what 'stupid' rules are in it. Good laugh with that one.

21. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

Unreal tournament and the Strikeforce mod is my preferred timewaster.
    Deus-Ex was also spinning constantly for awhile. Then there´s Civilization too...

But these days it´s my PS2 that delivers all the thrills I crave.
    I haven´t been so excited by gaming since I got my AtariVCS in ´82

(and I´ve had every major console since then... Even have a AmigaCD32 in the closet

)

BTW, Linux is on the way for PS2

22. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

MuliBoy,...Civilization???

That game I know well. Have seen it enough to think of it as a real 'silly' game, with all the building and doing in a just upcoming Civilization.

With the flickering figure on a horse which keeps on flickering all the time if you walk away from it. Yeah, that I have seen for a while...

Hope you make a good Civilization out of it.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

A game I recently purchased and well at present I'm kind of playing is for the PlayStation (yes the original)

C-12

I suppose you could look at this game with similar thoughts of Soul Reaver since you begin with a Blade that you can quite happily hack and slash enemy drones. So far through the game I've managed to pick up the C-12 cannon and found it quite impressive to crouch and then use an accuracy shot (Where you look through the eyes of your cybernetically enhanced Soldier Vaughan) and pick of the enemy with 1-hit headshot kills.

The game itself seems to utilise a third-person perspective that follows Vaughans movements, until you decide of course to use the targetting of first person.

There are many other points like moving boxes around and clambering on top of them, you also have the ability to go to first person perspective and target something to gain information from your implants. The missions expand as you do them with constant information being inputted through a radio communication from command.

I know it's going to keep me busy for a while... Well until I decide the controller might get damaged through a "Not again, I got killed and they never put Continues up, just game overs".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.