Fun Facts

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Ivan Seeking, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

What is the OceanHero Search Engine?
    Do NonProfit Activist Search Engines Work?
    https://www.getfoundquick.com/what-is-the-oceanhero-search-engine/#

Having worked as bookkeeper for a large non-profit organization, I know the rules that govern non-profits, and there is a government agency that provides oversight.
    Quarterly financial reports are required if any public funds are used!

But this doesn't cost me anything. I don't need to sign up, donate, buy, or do anything special to earn the "shells" that count toward the clean-up of plastic from our beaches. All I need to do is use the search engine which is based on Bing or Google search engines. All very normal.

It's a good thing, no matter how you look at it.

It's the Oil companies that need to be strictly controlled. Their motto is, "drill baby, drill", we don't care what natural disasters our activities
    cause and we tolerate no oversight. We are Capitalists!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes it is.
    But all they ask of you is to use the search engine as you please. The rotating backgrounds (see above) are used to advertise 3 or 4 sponsoring companies alongside your own favorite shortcuts, but you only need to use the search engine to generate a process that results in clean-up, a good thing.

p.s. Amazon is a sponsor and a lot of people use Amazon for shopping. Nice to know Amazon (a for-profit organization) does contribute to the general effort. I don't care about their motives. I care about the results, a good thing.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

At last, a positive action.
    It's a good thing to investigate any and all large financial enterprises.
    I don't have the resources to do that, but I certainly applaud your "due diligence" and I will trust your considered conclusions.

This exposure is what I hoped for when originally posting the OH resource.

Let's find out how we can be passively or actively involved in a good thing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

https://about.oceanhero.today/how-it-works

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That quote is lumping Ecosia and OceanHero together as if they are the same. They are not. Ecosia is a not-for-profit company.

Ocean Hero is a for-profit org.
    https://oceanhero.today/about-us/our-mission

The reason is because for-profit orgnaizations are forbidden from accepting donations. If they were a non-profit, they could. And would.

So your comments about not-for-profit are entirely beside the point.

By the way: "Ecosia donates about 80% of what it makes to its cause while OceanHero donates 50%."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/environment/comments/fytile/ecosia_vs_oceanhero_which_one_makes_a_larger/

Interesting that you say that. Did you get that from the site of the Oil companies?
    I'll bet you didn't. I'll bet their website only says positive things about themselves.
    Just like Ocean Hero's website only says positive things about themselves.

Did you get your information about the workings of Oil companies by looking outside their website, and reading other peoples' reviews? I'll bet you did. That seems like a wise thing to do.

Did you get any information about OceanHero by looking outside their website, and reading other peoples' reviews? I'll bet you didn't. That seems like a wise thing to do.

It certainly is. Consider practicing what you preach.

Really? Really?

After years and millions of Google searches, followed by copy-pasting huge blocks of text about ORCH-OR and micirotubules and what-have-you, you've suddenly lost the ability to do your own research?

What a joke.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes I looked at that also.

But the investigation by the Boston Globe specifically states that both Ocean Hero and Ecosia are non-profits and I know how non-profits work. Nevertheless, it seems that the program is not a scam and if someone makes a living at clean-up and trash removal from public spaces I say" "thank you", not "are you making a profit?"

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No it doesn't say that.

Ocean Hero is a for-profit organization.

11. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Once again, you miss the point entirely. Using it to surf, but NOT clicking their ads, actually costs them money thereby "reducing the amount of money that we can spend on plastic collection". So, not only are you not helping, you are actually hindering their work by not clicking on the ads.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Indeed. Here it is, in their own words:

https://about.oceanhero.today/how-it-works

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Then what are all those other articles about? Why do I get shells that somehow contribute to the clean-up effort if that only generates a useless expense? Now that would be stupid, no?

Why are we talking about money when I want to talk about the cleanup of beaches as a worthy cause?

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That's a lot of questions you didn't bother to research before signing up.

See post 22. All I said was that you've got to click on the ads. It's now been 48 posts of you being unable to accept that. Repeat after me: "Oh. I did not know that." The end.

No one here has said anything negative about OceanHero or cleaning up nature.

Like I said: I think you crave attention, if it's negative attention all the better.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What do you know about those shells? (This is the second time I have asked you. You ignored my question the first time. Why?)

You claim that the shells "somehow contribute to the clean-up effort". Is that something you actually know, or is it just something you're hoping they help with, somehow?

And if all you know is "somehow", don't you think it would be a good idea to research it a bit more than you have?
    If giving you meaningless "shells" means that you use their for-profit search engine more often, that is a win for them. They will attract more advertisers and therefore get more revenue and make a greater profit. You claim you understand how for-profit companies work, but you don't understand this business model?
    Why do you believe that your use of that search engine helps in any way to clean up beaches?

At best, you might indirectly help if you make more profit for the company, which attracts more advertising and other users who, unlike you, click through on the ads, thus actually contributing to the cleanup effort you say you support. But that's drawing a rather long bow between you and any meaningful activity.