Fun Facts

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Ivan Seeking, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You may want to look into this organization.

OceanHero

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

https://oceanhero.today/

My surfing has cleaned the beaches from 717 plastic bottles and counting.
    The search engine seems to work just fine and the rotating background presents some of the most beautiful sea-life.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Only if you click on ads. That's where their revenue comes from. It says so.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No it doesn't. I use it and the sponsor sites only if needed. For one it is a not-for-profit organization marketing a positive environmental effort. Every time I consult Wiki via OceanHero, I get credit toward plastic being cleaned.

Every 5 searches earns a "bottle cleaned", and the natural oceanlife rotating backgrounds library is breathtaking. It seems very reliable.
    It has some very Big sponsors who only seek to be associated with the notion of a clean ocean. It's a good thing.

My current count is 700+ bottles cleaned from some beach = 3500 searches.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

That's great but my post was meant as a little joke.
    Every part of a atom bomb, foam included would be vaporised pretty much instantly on detonation.
    The temperatures like those on/in the sun.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Ah, so by the the Principle of Conservation of Shit, the cleaning up you do in one place fills this forum with an equivalent amount of junk.

I see: it all makes sense.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You didn't bother to read how it works, did you? What a shock.

When you're done, I have some land in Florida to sell you, cheap.

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I don't know where you got that bizarre piece of information, but it is completely misleading, and is for that I am bothering to respond to you and exchemist.

EVERY SEARCH USING THE SEARCH ENGINE ACCUMULATES CREDITS (BOTTLES CLEANED FROM BEACHES.)

When you activate the "always use this search box", every search earns credits.

I post this not to be argumentative but to correct the record.
    I use this search engine and have NEVER used any of the 4 listed sponsors. (Amazon, Hotels, Trivago, Samsung). Only 4 rotating sponsors are listed at any time).
    Note that Sciforums is not a sponsor but gives me credits every time I use that shortcut to Sciforums.

Again, Credits are given for using the search bar for any search!

Top right in picture lists the current search "shell count" (33) and the number of bottles (735) that have been cleaned from beaches in my name.
    The total number of bottles cleaned currently stands at 67,670,668 bottles.

I am proud that I have contributed to this worthy effort in saving ocean life, from the filth humans spread. Exchemist ....note!

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It should alarm you that you don't know where that fact came from - since it came directly from their very site. It should alarm you that you now realize didn't bother to read up on something you bought in to and know what what is actually is.

I certainly do not dispute that this company is being misleading in its claims.

No it doesn't.

Not in that screen grab, at least. That screen grab shows only numbers, without labels. And without delving into the fine print you are guessing what they actually represent.

That's how they dupe naive readers - by posting cool-looking numbers and hoping you won't read the fine print.

It's called puffery.

Puffery: futile speech, typically of a seller, which does not give rise to legal liability. In a circular manner, legal explanations for this normative position describe the non-enforceable speech as a statement that no "reasonable person" would take seriously anyway.

It is what used car salesmen are doing when they say "This baby was driven by a little old lady a half mile to church and back once a week.

No court in the land will let you sue for such a claim. You, as a prospective buyer, have an obligation to ignore such vague claims and go get a CarFax report, which tells you explicitly what exactly the car has been through.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember letters from Publisher's Clearing House. Their letters used to say (paraphrased):

You're a Winner! $2 million dollars!*

*is what this letter would say of you had signed up

We learned never to trust the bold claims - always read the fine print. There's no way you're a Boomer without learning this lesson.

Yep. Via clickthroughs.

Except that you explicitly admit you have never done so:

You are a fool if you don't read the fine print of claims you participate in.

Yikes, I hope for your sake you have someone who has Power of Attorney over your finances!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And what about the sponsors who pay for the cleaning?
    Amazon, Hotels, Trivago, Samsung are supporting a fraudulent enterprise? Yes, they are so easily fooled or part of fraudulent practices.
    They pay for the advertisement, not for the exclusive use!
    No you don't and I would not trust you to be an honest broker.

I do trust this company. They don't sell land in Florida. They clean beaches from plastic trash around the world.
    https://assets.oceanhero.today/landing/landingpagevideo.mp4
    WATCH IT!

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

These are questions you should have asked yourself before signing up.

I've already done more research into this organization than you have - and I didn't have to go farther than one click on 'How It Works'.

I guess it's good to know know you are at least capable of skepticism for offers from strangers.

Of course you do. You didn't bother to read what they actually do. You read the front page and signed up immediately, without doing even a smidgoen of research.

Are you starting to see why you have no credibility here on SciFo? We see the exact same utter lack of comprehension in everything you mindlessly cut and paste.

This supercedes mere academic disagreement on a discussion forum; I am now geniunely concerned for your well-being as a fellow human. You are absolutely ripe to have all your wealth and fortune taken by the first grifter that sees you coming from a mile off. Jesus, man! You are a walking, talking sucker! Get yourself some critical thinking skills before you end up wearing a barrel!

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Again you miss the point. These companies just want to advertise, using the OH search engine.
    But why would these reputable companies associate with a fraudulent non-profit organization is the question? Do you think they are stupid too?

You have been arguing too long trying to debunk EVERYTHING in this forum.

p.s. The last property investment I made yielded a $50,000 profit. How about you?

15. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Yes, it does. Says it right on the page... in plain sight.

https://oceanhero.today/about-us/how-it-works

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

He can't seem to be bothered to read it when it's in black body serif text or when it's the only thing on the screen written in 20pt white sans header text for extra special attention...

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, revenue from clicking on all ads or just using the Ocean search bar will earn you bottles.

OK, then tell me how I was able to collect 735 bottles . Wait now 736 going on to 737 on my next random search.
    Also note that 2 advertisers have rotated. Obviously I cannot click on the previous 2. They are no longer there. But there are 2 new advertisers.

Why do you ignore what I post

Watch this: https://assets.oceanhero.today/landing/landingpagevideo.mp4

Attached Files:

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean
    Report by the ELLEN MACARTHUR FOUNDATION

That’s why we recover ocean-bound plastic when you browse the web

Collect shells

along the way
    How do I earn shells?
    Collecting shells is very easy. Just open tabs, search the web or answer fun questions about the oceans.

=

Just surf the web like you do every day
    Collect shells

along the way

No clicking on sponsors "required" to earn shells.

https://oceanhero.today/

Do you realize what you are doing here? You are sabotaging a worthy legitimate program!!!!!!!!!

You make me sick !

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

So you seem to think. We have shown where the organization itself says that's not the way it works.

We're not here to do your homework for you.

What you post doesn't refute the facts we have found with 5 seconds of research.

origin likes this.
  21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Ooh - lots of pretty clipart for you, congrats. What are you, twelve?

And here I thought we were talking about actual bottles collected. Bit of a moving of the goalposts there. Are you now walking back your claim actual bottles getting collected? At the very least, you're distancing yourself from it.

Anything that can be dismantled by the simple revealing of facts, deserves to be.

And all we have done is list facts. Facts directly from the organization's own website. And facts you should have found yourself.

Again:

All that is happening here is that you are evealing your own naivete and superficial virtue-signaling. "I'm saving the world by collecting pretty shell badges!"

That is a sympton of having your unfounded beliefs shaken, yes.

And, of course, the embarassment that we could do so with 12 seconds of research that you didn't do.

Stop beating this to-death. You're making a fool of yourself.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What do the shells mean? Anything?

What does the company undertake to do when you collect enough shells? How many is enough?

Do you know how the site works, or don't you? Can you explain?

23. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Right the point is when W4U makes a mistake instead of saying, "oops", he doubles down and refuses to admit any error and makes increasing embarrassing assertions hoping to cover his error. His behavior is baffling since 'sticking to his guns' just makes him look way, way more foolish than just admitting his error.