Do you agree with capital punishment?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Norsefire, Dec 17, 2007.

?

Do you agree with capital punishment?

1. Yes, criminals asked for it

32.7%
  2. No, no one deserves execution, no matter what their crimes

49.1%
  3. Yes, but only for murder

18.2%
  1. Defiant Registered Member

When you guys make such ridiculous statements, that questions if there is a point to having this thread at all. You never heard of prison society? 1.1 million people living in close quarters interacting with each others is not a society?

Also how come that anti-CP posters never address the valid points? I know there is no good arguments against them, so probably that's why... As I said earlier, we can close this thread....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Defiant Registered Member

Good points, but you are not supposed to make sense here. I guess for anti-CP people it is OK for prisoners to kill each other, but the state shouldn't kill them...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Donnal Registered Member

no i think that people could have been forced to create crimes they didnt wanna do
    may be they were forced to forget who made em think like that to do it
    most cases the murderes seem to have heard voices
    well we all no thats impossible but to them they seem to think its real
    well i say its a memory of say occult or religeon perhaps
    other cases people did it for money
    other cases people did it for jelousy reasons

we dont have death penalties here in australia cause we look at all of those aspects
    and we try to find tem help within their minds
    and they live with their guilt instead of living not knowing the truth why they did it
    is more punish the truth rather a sacrifice not knowing the truth
    so i say no to death penalties
    but i cant have a say cause im not in any other place that has death penalties
    we know one can live with guilt is more painful than liveing with sacficcing the truth
    i mean killing em on crimes its still sacrificing the truth to my eyes

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Uh, no, it's not free society as we all know it. We put people in prison to take them away from society. We should kill people because in the prison system they might be unsafe? The solution is to fix the prison system, not kill people that may very well turn out to be innocent. It's not OK for prisoners to kill each other, that's a strawman argument.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Why should a murderer live, if he takes the lives of others? The punishment should be the crime. Think of it that way!

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Thats vengence and it has no part of the justice system. As i pointed out revenge killings are actually treated quite harshly by the legal system.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

You wouldn't guess that if you were paying attention to the discussion.

See posts #18 and 63 for a starting point.

Yes, I'm aware that there are many posts in this discussion, but when you lower the intellectual bar so drastically in order to lend a façade of viability to what is, in the end, a stupid argument, you're only hurting your own credibility, and that of your cause. Bottom-shelf humor is not inherently objectionable, but what should we think of the general argument if the people putting it forward consider it, on the one hand, an occasion for humor and, to the other, an occasion for cheap humor? If that's all your opinion is worth to you, what should it be worth to the rest of us?

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, it's not part of the system but it would work as a good punishment.

A man who kills is killed
    A man who tortured others is tortured forever
    A man who rapes is raped
    A man who steals is stripped of all his possesions

It would work as a simple, and effective system in the sense of punishment.

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

In this whole discussion has anyone mentioned the fact that we are dealing with people here? On both sides of the issue? Fallible people?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=293&scid=

What is the consensus on the fact that humans screw up all the time? And that killing someone based on human analysis leaves zero room for future redemption?

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

superluminal i have been trying to avoid that argument. I agree with you but if you throw up that argument then the pro side just say "use it on those who are oviously guilty". at that point you end up debating who is oviously guilty. Better to atack the ethics of using it at all

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Fair enough.

I'll just point out that, as a practical matter, for an ethical people who admit their own fallibility, it becomes immediately unethical to use it. I would think this was a good argument against even the pro side, and would leave them in the position of having to defend the absurd idea that they could never make a mistake?

Anyway, carry on...

15. Defiant Registered Member

The word revenge has a negative connotation. Try to use let's say payback.
    You payback kindness (positive emotional actions), bankloans (neutral emotional action) so why shouldn't you payback rudeness (negative emotional actions)?

There are about 8 threads on revenge already, it is a separate debate. In plain, there is nothing wrong with revenge (payback)....

16. Defiant Registered Member

For god's sake, this has been dealt with on page 2.

So I put you in the group of : "if the dude is super-duper 1000% guilty, let's fry him", OK???? Doctors make mistakes of the size of 200K peopke a year and we don't stop curing the ill. So knock that stupid argument off already...

And I still want to hear the list of the dozens of innocently executed and the answer for the why punish at all if we can not be sure of guilt? I still advocate the 2 weeks Bahamas recuperation for every murderer, works much better than CP.

I still can't believe how for some people the lifes of criminals are so precisious, and let's fuck the victims!!! Hey, let's play a game:

Let's suppose we have this debate in the afternoon of Sept 11th, 2001. Now make the argument again....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually there is, for sociaty to function we cant hold onto grudges. If your child does something wrong do you exile it? No you make it known that sort of thing is unaceptable and then you bring them back into the family. The same thing goes for the criminal justice system. Your just avoiding the word vengance because you KNOW that it is specifically refuted in the justice system

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

For god's sake, that's what I was asking.

I was just proposing it as another point of attack as a practical matter. So, please kind sir, stuff your righteous indignation up your ass, OK????

19. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Oh. I missed your edits. You really are an asshole. I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

20. Defiant Registered Member

Sorry guys, from here on I just can't take you seriously....

Punishment fitting the crime kind of thingy, for fuck's sake.

But as I mentioned, I changed my mind, we shouldn't punish criminals at all. Now I am anti-punishment. If they throw a rock at you, invite them into your house and offer your wife for them!!!!

21. Defiant Registered Member

Losing the debate, so namecalling starts? How typical...

Hey, if you can forgive a serial killer, you sure can forgive me...

By the way my edit has nothing to do with any of your non-points....

Moderator, please close the thread, it has ran its course....

By boys, enjoy the weekend...

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

That wasn't name calling. It was just a suggestion.

What a noob.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Really?

The deeper point here is not whether to punish, but at what level the punishment becomes ineffective. Death is not a punishment to anyone but the family of the dead. And given the irretrievable nature of death, why wouldn't the issue of "mistakes" become of paramount importance? If you lock someone away and find a year later that they are innocent, you let them go. If you've killed them, you haven't really "punished" anyone, and you have no chance to reverse you decision.

How fucking illogical and stupid is that?