Are You A Dog Or Cat Person?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by mmatt9876, Apr 30, 2018.

1. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I wonder why the snake handling pastors choose to handle a dangerous animal like a snake instead of a friendly approachable animal like a bunny or cat?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Truck Captain Stumpy Registered Senior Member

offered IMHO - I think it's a need to feel control or "dominion" over nature. they justify it with passages in the bible (like GEN 1:26) in the effort to establish the infallibility of the tome. If they fail, it's not the fallibility of the tome or the deity, but rather it's their own fault for lack of faith (or some such idiocy). it happens with a lot of things in a belief system that requires one only have a faith (sans evidence), be it religion, politics or anything else.

Its also done for the purpose of establishing the literal nature of the tome which reinforces the belief system, even with tangential factions.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

It is funny how religion often makes you the bad guy when you get hurt. Some religions teach that bad things will happen to you if you are not honest and faithful. It is hard enough to be just honest or faithful, let alone both, if it is possible.

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I have been wondering if the practice of handling snakes in a church is meant to symbolize power over the devil and sin. The devil is often represented in bible stories, such as the story of Adam and Eve, as a snake.

8. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Some of my cousins are snake handlers. They say the Bible has promised they will be protected from serpents' poison if they truly believe.

The dead ones weren't really true believers.

Brother Sam Singleton watched an uncle die from snake bite. He tells the story very vividly.

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 69 years old Valued Senior Member

Atheist infiltrators?

Probably not, atheist to smart

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. candy Registered Senior Member

That reminds me of how they use to try witches. The accused was dunked under water if she died she was not a witch; if she survived she was hanged as a witch. Sometimes it feels like this forum would like to do this to deists.

11. Truck Captain Stumpy Registered Senior Member

sorry, but I can't stop laughing at your dry humour! LMFAO

if she weighs as much as a duck, she's made of wood, and therefore...

to be honest, some people here definitely dislike deists. it probably has something to do with being scientifically literate, but that may only be a limited cause or reason.

of course, that is also something for another thread. perhaps you should start one?

12. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Not humour, that's what they say. They pray extra hard for those who appear to have lapsed in their faith.

13. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Back on topic-ish.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

mmatt9876 likes this.
  14. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Three of my current favorite dog breed are the Golden Retriever, English Bulldog, and Welsh Corgi.

15. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member