How can God not exist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Jan Ardena, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I doubt it. This another of your pre-formed ideas, and yet another example of your dishonesty.
    What was it you said earlier?
    Oh yeah, "when the going gets tough the weak get going".
    You refuse to stand up for the consequences of your dishonesty, instead preferring to back out altogether until you see another opportunity to start the whole cycle all over again.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wellwisher Banned Banned

When I was younger, the way I resolved God, was somewhere in the middle between atheism and religion. The reality was, nobody can prove or disprove God. However, the idea of God is very ancient and has survived centuries of attempts to undermine this concept. It is still alive in the minds and hearts of billions. It also constnatly makes the atheists, who claim to be rational, become irrational.

One way to explain this composite observation, for both the faithful and the atheists was the unconscious mind. Faith is not based on conscious knowledge, but more on an intuitive or unconscious feeling where one is conscious of the unconscious, but may not be able to put the percetion into language.

The concept of God, by being higher than humans, suggested to me that the aspect of the unconscious mind religion was dealing with (symbolized by God, would need to be higher in brain hierarchy than the conscious mind. If God was a projection, it would represent the most integrated or wired part of the brain. Being so central in the brain/mind, this aspect of the brain, if triggered, would be very compelling able to drive some with the intensity of an instinct.

The Psychologist, Carl Jung, developed the concept of the collective unconscious, which represents collective human propensity. It is what characterizes humans as a species and therefore is common to all; human nature.

Religions can create a unique commonality among billions of people, using an irrational concept, because the concept represents command lines which can get the collective unconscious involved. Purely intellectual orientations, don't integrate people as well or as long, since they don't make use of the command lines for the collective unconscious.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's the product on subconscious wish-thinking in other words. (There are an infinite number of ideas that cannot be proved or disproved)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Please show where this happens.

You mean a feeling, a belief?
    Yeah, so what?

Circular nonsense.

So now you're saying religion is irrational.

Riiight. Introducing more woo wooism doesn't help your case.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Oh, for the record, the lie:
    Stated here.
    If the argument is followed in its entirety from here it is clear that everyone involved was using that understanding. Including Jan.
    He reverted to a more limited definition after posting links that supposedly supported his contention that there are certain sub-sets of atheism that are religions, while ignoring the fact - stated in his own links - that that is a legal fiction for First Amendment purposes only: the way a man is regarded as a woman for that purpose. In other words, not only was his final contention not true but even the fiction that it was applies only to one country.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

EVERYBODY:

Here is a formalized version of the Argument from the Origin of the Idea of God:

The Argument from the Origin of the Idea of God

This argument, made famous by Rene Descartes, has a kinship to the ontological argument (13). It starts from the idea of God. But it does not claim that real being is part of the content of that idea, as the ontological argument does. Rather it seeks to show that only God himself could have caused this idea to arise in our minds.

It would be impossible for us to reproduce the whole context Descartes gives for this proof (see his third Meditation), and fruitless to follow his scholastic vocabulary. We give below the briefest summary and discussion.

1. We have ideas of many things.
    2. These ideas must arise either from ourselves or from things outside us.
    3. One of the ideas we have is the idea of God—an infinite, all-perfect being.
    4. This idea could not have been caused by ourselves, because we know ourselves to be limited and imperfect, and no effect can be greater than its cause.
    5. Therefore, the idea must have been caused by something outside us which has nothing less than the qualities contained in the idea of God.
    6. But only God himself has those qualities.
    7. Therefore God himself must be the cause of the idea we have of him.
    8. Therefore God exists.

Consider the following common objection. The idea of God can easily arise like this: we notice degrees of perfection among finite beings—some are more perfect (or less imperfect) than others. And to reach the idea of God, we just project the scale upward and outward to infinity. Thus there seems to be no need for an actually existing God to account for the existence of the idea. All we need is the experience of things varying in degrees of perfection, and a mind capable of thinking away perceived limitations.

But is that really enough? How can we think away limitation or imperfection unless we first recognize it as such? And how can we recognize it as such unless we already have some notion of infinite perfection? To recognize things as imperfect or finite involves the possession of a standard in thought that makes the recognition possible.

Does that seem farfetched? It does not mean that toddlers spend their time thinking about God. But it does mean that, however late in life you use the standard, however long before it comes explicitly into consciousness, still, the standard must be there in order for you to use it. But where did it come from? Not from your experience of yourself or of the world that exists outside you. For the idea of infinite perfection is already presupposed in our thinking about all these things and judging them imperfect. Therefore none of them can be the origin of the idea of God; only God himself can be that.

Source

Let's go and dissect this one.

10. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

An imperfect definition for something that embodies absolute perfection? seems pointless. The word has never been able to describe something that exists in reality, perhaps because our reality is definitive and perfection is unreachable. This leads to god not existing.

Perhaps it is only unreachable because we refuse to believe perfection exists.

We haven't reached a level of consciousness that allows for god to exist the propper way and perhaps we never will.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's just wrong. If I push a domino, the effect will be greater than the cause. Also, conceiving the idea of perfection is not the same thing as achieving perfection itself. That's like saying humans can't invent the idea of flying because they can't fly.

12. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

This is the more holistic right hemisphere of the brain, which may even feel a kind of presence which is hard to put into words. The right brain itself is the presence, not God.

13. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

???????!!

Jan, I'm seriously starting to actually consider the idea that you are in fact insane. At least that would explain your behaviour.

How is it that you think what you've written here in any way whatsoever qualifies as a response to my post??? Can you not even read anymore? Seriously.

I've read over the posts made in the past 24 hours, and you continue to come across as a complete loony. You respond to other members with utterly irrelevant responses that always fail to address the very question that was leveled at you , or the criticism of your post. This is nothing more than blatant intellectual dishonesty. People here are trying to engage you in conversation, but you're more interested in a monologue. That being the case, it's literally a contradiction for you to be on this forum.

Mod Note:

Jan,

Consider yourself officially Warned.
    At the next instance of evasion, equivocation, quid pro quo, or simply ignoring another member's question and/or criticism, you will again be Temp Banned.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

So you are trying to say that you (the cause) is less than a table full of toppled over dominoes (the effect)?

Or are you simply incorrectly attributing the cause as the first domino that falls on a table of dominoes?
    Or that your intellect and consciousness that constructs the whole experiment is less than a domino?

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

hence the question of establishing an idea is one that is always dependent on the resources that frame it (for instance advanced aviation is unattainable to stone age cultures, even if they are in the pilot seat of a space shuttle)

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Whether I do it or not is immaterial, we could be talking about the wind knocking it over.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so you think that the wind is less than a table full of dominoes (a wind capable of establishing all the dominoes in such an array too it seems)?

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

BTW here is another similarly immaterial encounter, this time with a road sign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd3ABWWxs20

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

glaucon,

Okay. Maybe I have stumbeled into an alternate reality here, or something of the sort. So I am going to open this up.

According to wiki (i'm assuming this is a reliable source), a 'non-sequitor is as follows;

Some examples in normal speech;

Okay, so let's consider my inquiry;

If God always existed, how can He NOT exist?.
    The premise is followed by a question, NOT a conclusion, and according to the
    example a non-sequitor would be;

''God always exists, therefore He cannot Not exist.''

Would it be a non-sequitor if I inquired (using a wiki example);
    ''I hear the rain falling outside my window, does this affect the sunshine?

If that last statement is a non-sequitor, then your right, I don't get it.

jan.

20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

glaucon,

I don't want a warning, I don't want a temporary ban, and I do not apreciate
    that infraction point you slapped on me.
    As far as I can see, you are victimising me, and if that gets me warned or banned, then so be it. My conscience is clear.

As far as I'm concerned I am not a complete loony, and my response to other members are not utterly irrelevant.
    I started this thread to extract a more in-depth approach to why God exists, and has always existed in the minds of people.
    I accept the explanation ''God was an invention by primitive man in a bid to explain natural phenomena such as lightening, death, and so on.
    Great, so let's move on, let's see what else there is. This is my approach.

It can easily be shown that God need not be an answer to these occurrances, and it can easily be shown that people accept these occurrences without need to find a reason for them. So to accept this narrow view as the only answer is flat out, wrong IMO.

And of course there is always the prospect that God existed before man, and that the scriptures are correct.

Why are you warning me, and why the need to threaten me?
    At least point out where I am guilty of these charges instead of this display of big stick weilding.

jan.

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Not in a Newtonian universe.

If you want to argue for some other kind of universe, then you are in the realm of philosophy and cannot refer to empirical science anymore.

Humans did not invent the idea of flying. They saw birds and insects in flight.

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Glaucon -

I would like to see your input on the Argument from the Origin of the Idea of God, which I posted above in post 426.

23. Rav Valued Senior Member

Sure.

Sure.

Sure.

This is where the argument starts to fall apart. The cause and the effect are actually equal because our conception of perfection and the infinite is limited. Just because I can slap the label of "infinite" on the universe (for example) doesn't mean that I can properly (to the fullest extent possible) understand what that means. Similarly just because I can assign the properties of perfection and infinity to some hypothetical "being" doesn't mean I can actually fully comprehend the reality of such a being.

No, the idea is a limited one and therefore can indeed be born within a limited mind.

Using the logic of the argument all we can establish is that this hypothetical being is perfect and infinite only to the extent that we can imagine the reality of such things.

No, as established above.

Fail.

Just as is the case with the standard ontological argument, only a perfect and infinite being could use this argument to prove to itself that it exists because only a perfect and infinite being would be capable of properly conceiving of itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.