75 yr old woman sentenced to 40 lashes for mingling.

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by wsionynw, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I'm not asking for an apology, I'm asking for ****ing condemnation of all uncivilised behaviour regardless of its source.
    Just for the record, though its probably quite incidental, my wife is Moslem.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You are right Ophi, I am eating crow today.

I shall endeavor to turn over a new leaf.

Thanks for the butt kick

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scott3x Banned Banned

Cool S.A.M.

I also think that asking for an apology by the perpetrators of uncivilized behaviour should be fine too, but I understand that their mindsets may not permit it at times (they may believe they're doing the right thing or be too embarassed to admit they did something wrong). I apply this statement equally to governments and people of any stripe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

did the man get any punishment?

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That explains a lot.

9. scott3x Banned Banned

What does it explain?

10. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

The problem is making only Muslims apologize. It is seen as making us complicit in something which is entirely independent of us. When you criticize a religious group or civilization, especially when that group is already under attack and occupation, it naturally produces strong indignation and anger against the source of its exploitation.

We are not making all white people apologize for Timothy McVeigh's heinous crime, why should we apologize for someone we know nothing about who professes to be our color or from our religion.

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

So sam, it looks like education for women is becoming a thing of the past in large ares of Pakistan.

12. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Pakistan's education system is still vastly superior to India's I am afraid. You should watch the movie slumdog million, more than 60% of Indian's live in urban and rural slums, how sad. India is a thing of the past. Instead of improving your own country, you spend all your time criticizing other countries.

13. scott3x Banned Banned

I never stated that I felt that only muslims should apologize for misdeeds.

I agree. I certainly am not responsible for what other pantheists do.

Americans would say that they were also attacked; you know, 9/11. I personally think it was an inside job and there's still one unclosed thread left concerning the matter open over in the Formal Debates forum. But many americans still believe in the official story.

I agree.

14. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

BTW, my response was directed against Ophiolite, not you.

I agree 9/11 was an inside job. Not only that, other events also like London bombing and Bombay bombing were false flags. We live in an era where the world is a stage and we are the audience.

15. scott3x Banned Banned

Ok, although I think he woud have said the same, only for him it would have been condemnation.

Cool

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I agree in the case of the London bombing, although I'm not sure about the Bombay/Mumbai bombing.

16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Against me. Not against my argument? Interesting choice of words.

Here is my choice of words. Learn to ****ing read.

I did not propose apologies from Muslims. I proposed condemnation by Muslims, Protestants, Atehists, housepainters, philatelists, gay rights activists, opticians and all forms and variety of human classification of any uncivilised behaviour. Are you against that? Do you think it is OK to stand idly by and not comment on mayhem, slaughter, cruelty, supression of human rights, torture, indiscriminate bombing, etc, etc?

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Based on whose "civilized" ideals? As you might be aware, not all cultures/societies in the world have the same ideals. So who do we call "civilized" and who do we call "uncivilized"?

Just talk? No action at all? Just make some idle comment like, "Gee, that's not very nice.", then go on about our business of enjoying life?

And do you think that other cultures, other societies, that are different to ours will listen and change their whole culture because we say so?

Baron Max

18. candy Valued Senior Member

That is a very good question.

Anyone know the answer.

19. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Against you, your argument, its simply semantics.

If there is a pile of wood made for the purpose of building a fire. Let's say each piece of wood represents the object of making Muslims apologize for crimes they did not commit. You come and lay down a piece in that pile, asking Muslims (and others) to condemn something. That piece of wood was laid down to simply protest an injustice, yet the wood will still help the fire to produce a brighter flame and last longer. The unintended fire is the demonization of all Muslims.

In essence, you don't need to ask Muslims to condemn injustice, because the Quran already commands us to. Being a good Muslim is a part of denouncing injustice. For example if IRA sets a bomb in London, do we ask all Irish people to condemn this attack to prove they are peaceful. You understand what I'm trying to say?

20. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

There are many Muslims who feel that they need to kill others as part of a jihad .....and jihads are part of the beliefs of the Qurran.

Don't have to ask them, the Irish openly and loudly condemn the violence! Muslims don't do that ....mostly they stay quiet or even try to defend the Muslim attackers/killers/suicide bombers/etc.

Baron Max

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

But the condemnation of terrorist acts is disappointingly absent in many many instances. Were I Moslem I should be enraged at the impression left by this atmosphere of silence and would shout from the rooftops that the violence was wrong.

23. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

It's called war. If you can't understand that, go back to your Vietnam days, I'm sure you will remember.

War is a part of every ideology, including Capitalist and Communist ideologies. Jihad is a specific war, in response to an invasion or occupation by a foreign power and to alleviate oppression.

So you only listen to the Irish and not the Muslims. Go check out the major Muslim organizations in your country, they all denounce violence. CAIR, ICNA, ISNA, MAS, etc. Go to their websites.

As far as what Islam says, any killing of innocents is zulm (oppression) and the one who kills innocent people is a zaalim (oppressor).

We have to differentiate, however, those who attack US and NATO troops, and their puppet governments, are soldiers of a legitimate resistance directed at liberating their homeland. Those who attack bazaars and civilian centers are oppressors who not only malign the resistance, but weaken the cause fo the people to lift their oppression. It has already been established that most of those who attack civilians have agendas which contradict legitimate resistance, and serve the interests of global powers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.