75 yr old woman sentenced to 40 lashes for mingling.

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by wsionynw, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

OUCH! :spank: Seems that ultra-conservative doesn't cut it anymore. What about "fucking over the top mental conservative" ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8394348

I'd be interested to know what women ARE allowed to do in Saudi Arabia. That said, perhaps there is some evidence that these laws actually work in preventing more serious offences???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

"Saudi Arabia's strict interpretation of Islam prohibits men and women who are not immediate relatives from mingling and women from driving. The playing of music, dancing and many movies also are a concern for hard-liners who believe they violate religious and moral values.

A special police unit called the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice enforces these laws, patrolling public places to make sure women are covered and not wearing make up, sexes don't mix, shops close five times a day for Muslim prayers and men go to the mosque to worship. "

I can't wait until this lifestyle takes hold in the Americas. What fun.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a fun place to live.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How silly, they should send her to Gitmo instead. That's where the real liberators are.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yum, red herring vindaloo!

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Clearly the only way to deal with the radically violent and backward (aka Muslims) is through torture and missiles. This is just the kind of stuff that Muslims obviously enjoy doing to other people and each other.

Good thing all those wonderful atheists out there don't support such administrations

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You have a point. People that would lash an old woman for mingling with her friends cannot be dealt with rationally.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Correct. Unlike people who torture for no reason. Or starve children for land.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Wow, Sams got to the point where she need only respond with:

See my previous post.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its difficult to take the selfrighteous seriously when they are murdering innocents by the hundreds of thousands and ignoring the torture of hundreds.

Gasping over one woman seems like overkill.

14. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Radically violent muslims can be dealt with in the same way as radically violent christians or hindus, etc.... better education and freedom of information. The more people learn the less likely they are to swallow wholesale bullshit, and society evolves.

Of course it doesn't always stop the mistakes (see war in Iraq) but it hopefully makes it less likely to happen again.

Or perhaps I have too much faith in humanity?

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Posts filled with lies cannot be taken seriously either, Sam.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think I would wonder at the humanity presumed in addressing an older system of punishment in a closed society while ignoring the daily missile bombardment now considered routine by supposedly progressive ones.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No one is bombarding any population daily. I think you are referring to missile strikes against fundamentalist terrorists who recently forced a soveriegn nation to give up control over it's own land. That action works in favor of basic human rights, since the Taliban are opposed to such rights.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I didn't realise anyone was bombing American troops.

19. scott3x Banned Banned

I think you'd do better to simply say, yes, what they did was bad but the U.S./western societies do bad things too.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you can arrive at that conclusion simply by reading the original article.
    Note that when a Saudi court passes a sentence like this, its an ultraconservative society. However, when the westerners kidnap and torture citizens from sovereign nations without even bothering with due process, its just another day.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Not knowing the case it would be agist NOT TO sentence her the same penalty than they would a 25 years old...

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I disagree, they are occupied by an ultraconservative regime. The society would not be ultraconservative if they were allowed a moderate regime.

23. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Last I checked, we've been dealing with these particular Muslims by lavishing cash, weapons and political support on them for the past 70 years or so.

Not that you'd see me complaining if a missile were to take out the headquarters of the Saudi morality police, but the criticism seems misplaced in this instance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.