Windows vs Linux [It's own thread]

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Vkothii, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vkothii Banned Banned

My advice to someone wanting to design with C, or C++ is use a Linux PC.

And check out the 7-layer model for networks. It should explain the interfacing questions you have.
    Windows is something of a minefield, I personally believe it won't survive, it's gotten way too bloated and inefficient. Microsoft is the most attacked OS on the planet, it's still the most vulnerable because of poor design.
    Vista is a good example of what happens when you try to shoehorn software together, you get a big mess. The only thing keeping Microsoft afloat is the games market, the Xbox and their "old tech" XP distro.

[Moderator edit]
    Post #4 is suppose to be the starting thread, however the forum software is a bit funny so it Hijacked the oldest thread that was moved here and moved it to the top.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hariseldon Registered Member

I know the 7-layer model for network, and i don't care windows (my question for dll was to understand difference from dll and api). I'd like to know what happens in memory. For semplicity i design an ipothetic scenario: i have a program of mine and a program of another person that has an API (writed in assembly) with the following prototype int prova (int c, int d). What happens if i call the API? Who passes the parameter? Who gives the result of the function?.
    Please don't reply to this post if you don't have the answer or the indication of one o more books that can explain it. You could just loose time and confuse other with no pertinent infromation...
    Thanks

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

It is the most attacked because it is on the most systems. Plus it tries to do everything right after install.

I have used every OS and the best designed and functionally coherent was Win2K, taking into consideration the time it was released it was the epitome of the term "File System".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Windows vs Linux

Since there are a lot of times that other threads on other subjects have been beaten down to "Windows Vs Linux" or vice versa, I decided it was time to start shoving them in one thread.

Should you feel the need in the future to do the usual debating on this subject, please post it here otherwise it will just end up being moved here anyway and it will more than likely be disjointed from the rest of the thread.

Personally I don't care what operating system I use, that way I can write I can operate all of them down on a Resume rather than being Pissy about it.

8. Vkothii Banned Banned

However, thats a very big only.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

BULL SHIT.

I work in IT, and MS make a lot of money off desktop OS's, Office Products, Server OS's, Server Appliations, etc etc.

The gaming market is tiny by comparison, so don't talk bollocks.

10. Vkothii Banned Banned

Oh so?
    How "tiny" is the tiny games market then? I hope you can get a bigger shovel for that pile in front of you.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You don't get it. Phlogi said tiny as compared to MS's profit coming from other applications.He is right, it is probably less than 5 %, and the consol itself is a moneyloser so far. they probably make money on the rights from the games...

12. Vkothii Banned Banned

Oh.
    These applications, what do they run on, not NT systems, right?
    And XP isn't an NT system either, so I guess I got it wrong then.

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

You seem confused over MS products.

NT is out of support now.

Supported MS OS's are 2K/2K3 (+ forthcoming Server 2008) for servers, and 2Kpro, XP, and Vista for desktop. MS apps run on these. Add up how much each desktop license, plus software license costs. Or go see how much you pay for a ongoing licensing agreement. Oh, I've met with Microsoft several times to negotiate Select licensing agreements, for two different companies, btw. They aren't cheap.

Also, MS took it in the ass replacing dead Xbox consoles, and Halo3 I think was the first game to turn a profit for them.

14. Vkothii Banned Banned

So, you're saying NT has been superseded, they've cast it aside?
    If so, I'd say you don't understand the software design side of it all that well.

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Support for Windows NT4 ended at the end of 2004. There were two successors, in Windows 2000, and Windows 2003.

Microsoft ending support for their OS means I don't understand something?

I think you are talking out of your arse.

But then you completly made up the idea that revenue from gaming was keeping MS afloat, when in actual fact, it's cost them money. You ar a sad fantasist. Please don't reply, just crawl off and shut up.

16. Vkothii Banned Banned

I'll just move a big pile of shit over the rock you just crawled under, first.
    So you must know all about where Microsoft got those Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 versions from?

And all about what ending support for a released product means in terms of development of newer ones.

I think you're looking through a pair of specs that are way too small. But you've probably never designed software, or even put a command string together in a terminal, have you?

P.S. Note to self: why are you talking to a rock, with a big pile of shit all over it?

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

Sure, when I used to have quarterly meetings with Microsoft in the late 90's, Windows 2000 was referred to as 'NT5'.

What is your point here? You referred to NT and XP only as MS products. You seem confused.

I've worked in IT for 20 years. SO yes, I have designed software, deployed it, supported it, and yes, I remember terminals, and even hard copy ones at that.

So stop flashing your ego and admit you got a few things wrong, and haven't really explained yourself that well.

Ah, poor soul, his ego is dented. Tough. IF you talk bollocks, you get called on it. You talked bollocks, you got called.

18. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

for home users-ubuntu.

for company use-windows. just cheaper.

19. Vkothii Banned Banned

I am now. Are you saying they aren't?

The thing is, YOU appear to have made a shitpile of conclusions. I was not trying to be specific, it was a throwaway line or two. NT is the technology they've been using for OS design since the 90's.

I don't actually give a shit what you end up believing, just don't go flashing your big ego around proclaiming how wrong something is, because you've also assumed something else.
    I know what I said up there, and in the large it isn't far off the actuality; Microsoft are stuck with NT and what they've pushed or shoehorned it into over the last 12-15 years.

Don't feel too sad, you sad sad people you.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  20. John99 Banned Banned

It is NTFS, and what is wrong with it? The biggest advantage MS has in corporate world is that their OS's are just easier to use by secretaries and\or users who are not computer savvy.

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You know all this bickering, you don't here the Mac guys/gals complaining

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Cough SAM)

22. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

"If it's a hobby for me, and a job for you, why are you doing such a shoddy job of it?" - Linus Torvalds on Microsoft and software development

23. John99 Banned Banned

The thing is everything is "borrowed" from somewhere. Even...Linux. Am i breaking news to people here? Am I wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.