Windows vs Linux [It's own thread]

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Vkothii, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John99 Banned Banned

Are you trolling? If you are serious than NT is just NTFS.

Other than that i dont know what you are trying to say.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vkothii Banned Banned

Well, that makes two.
    I don't know what you're trying to say either...?

How about that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

$44Bn in revenue.

Enough said.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Why do you argue with that kid, phlog? It's useless. One only has as much intelligence as one has.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

9. Vkothii Banned Banned

No fuss here.
    I'm just (not at all)surprised that everyone contributing to the CS threads, thinks "Computers means Microfrost".

It doesn't; it never has, and it never will. Their revenues are indeed substantial, and even if they stopped designing apps and systems tomorrow, it would take a while for them to stop breathing altogether.

What makes me chuckle (cackle even), is how so many believe that computers are either on a desk (or under one), in a carry bag, or in a big controlled-atmosphere room.

The commercial arena that MS has a reasonable toe-hold in is only part of a much (much) bigger world.
    The one nobody here seems to know about, which to me is slightly surprising - that people claiming to know about computer technology, seem content to restrict its domain to the above.

So a large corporation is not going to survive, if all of its products are loaded on the same donkey - when it goes lame they can clone a new one maybe.
    Microsoft is a(n extremely) fat cat, but it relies on a one-trick pony. None of its apps run on anything except MS systems, the apps they've tried to port to other systems are pretty much failures.

They make lots of money selling software that looks a lot like Henry Ford's contributions to the automotive industry. The single-model paradigm works for a while, but it's really a bit of a dinosaur.
    If they are so shit-hot, why is their latest and greatest release such a dog?

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nobody has ever said that. That's just you trying to draw the debate away from the complete lie you told about Microsoft being kept afloat by gaming revenue.

I already pointed out my past exposure to various OS's;

" TOPS-20, VMS, System38, OS/400, Reality, Pick, Ultrix, Digital Unix, SunOS, Solaris, AIX, then all Microsoft products from DOS3 to date (bar Server 2008 which I have not deployed yet), OS/2, and various other OS's that never got a hold, such as PC-DOS on Apricot and Tangerine systems.

Before using computers for a living, I programmed Sinclair ZX-81's and Spectrums, BBC Micros, did a bit of FORTH on the Jupiter ACE, and learned 6809 assembler, all just for fun."

Not just Microsoft. I'd wager a far wider experience than yours, in fact.

I never said that either. I have a PDA, there are smartphones. Hell there's even a microprocessor in my washing machine. You are saying people say that, but it's a lie.

No one has said that. You have claimed that Linux is the most prevalent OS on processors, and that isn't true, however.

$44Bn revenue. And some people call being a one trick pony having a niche. Ports to other OS's failures? I guess you haven't heard that MS Office for Macs is widely used? Heard of Entourage? All successful apps. You have been caught telling lies again!

Henry Ford started a revolution. So did Bill Gates. Is that what your analogy was meant to prove? There's nothing wrong with Vista. It took a little getting used to, but being open minded, I adopted it quite easily. I guess it's just closed minded luddites who don't care for change.

Dude, you suck at this, give up. You can't make a post without telling a lie, it seems.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

I know, I shouldn't poke the retard. I just find it interesting he is incapable of admitting he made a mistake, and prefers to keep digging himself a hole.

12. Vkothii Banned Banned

You must be a retard.
    You're quite sure that it "isn't" true?
    How sure, sure enough to post a bit of evidence that Linux doesn't outweigh all other OSes on the planet, systems-wise?
    I guarantee you won't. The evidence, if you bother to look, is that linux is what I said it is. You do actually know about washing machines and PDAs then, that's absolutely bloody gob-smacking considering how pedantic your attitude is.

Jumping to all those conclusions about what I said in the very first post, has taken this long to poke a hole in (your conclusions); you've finally actually admitted there are other kinds of systems (and they generally, in fact most of them, run linux - the systems do, not ALL the PDAs, not ALL the washing machines or cellphones, just MOST of them).

You were wrong, but you don't want to admit you jumped on something because you had made an incorrect assumption. Which is why I'm making all kinds of them about the stuff you're telling everyone you know, thumping the desk and calling me a retard.
    You're a retard.

P.S. what is so amazing or impressive about MS's port of Office to the Mac? How many of these Macs are there, not that many right? I use the free version mainly because you need these days, to be able to handle all those cruddy MS file formats.

P.P.S I'm a fairly accomplished liar, btw. You haven't got a hope. Your lies about what I actually said about the games market are entirely transparent. I did not say what you claim; pasting the first half of some sentence, claiming that it's the whole sentence, isn't very intelligent.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  13. phlogistician Banned Banned

Google it, the most prevalent OS is called 'ITRON' apparently.

"What is the world's most widely used operating system? It's not Windows, Unix or Linux, but ITRON, "

(http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/31855.html)

Not according to the link I just provided, it isn't. You got PWNED, NUB.

I haven't 'finally actually admitted' anything, because the point never came up until you lied and said I was avoiding it. And no, it's not true that most of those devices run Linux. Most Smartphones either run Windows Mobile or Symbian, and the other devices, .. well, ITRON is a good bet.

It works, when you said the ports were 'pretty much failures', which plainly isn't true.

Quite a few, they shipped 2,319,000 in one quarter of business end of last year.

You said 'The only thing keeping Microsoft afloat is the games market, the Xbox and their "old tech" XP distro.'

I took you to task over the firsto two, because you know, when listing ingredients, you list the major components first, that is the way it's done.

But even taking XP into account (and here you said XP, not a generic 'NT' as you have laxly termed all MS OS's) XP is only a little ahead of Vista still, because it's been in the marketplace for longer, and Vista has sold faster than XP did, in equivalent timescales. And of course, the whole sentence was still a lie, because you ignored 2K/2K3 and revenue from Applications.

So, please feel free to substantiate just one thing you have claimed. Go on.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Not everyone thinks it's all Microsoft, the main reason why they get brought up so much is because obviously people have their operating systems installed on PC's they've bought from Shops or online, rather than attempting to configure and install a different OS.

To be perfectly honest Linux for a long time suffered because of the install and Configuration, only with the with advent of Live disc's (Where a systems hardware can be tested and no configuration needs to be carried out... if of course it works) has it started to pick up more people stating that they use the OS.

Personally I use a number of windows Desktop machines, however when I do web development and have enough cash I tend to rig up a *BSD box for development. The main reason is I prefer the command line, clean installed configurability for a server. However it's not a simple "turn on a machine and there is loads" process and this is where a number of people would prefer to stick to something that was designed with the End User in mind (Like Windows or a Mac OS), where you don't need the patience to debug errorcodes and driver installations as well as the fun of rebuilding a kernel during an update (That's a real hoot!).

15. Vkothii Banned Banned

Well, how smart a retard are you then?
    This ITRON is an Asian market phenomenon. The ITRON-Linux connection means that both those systems are attempting to find common ground, of course. ITRON wasn't a consideration in the rest of the world until today - that's the West - in which manufacturers choose linux or a derivative for devices.
    Would you know how many routers, firewalls and other comms equipment there is on the market running ITRON, at all?

A mere handful of years ago, linux or derivatives of it were at the top in terms of devices (in the West - which generally ignores Japanese innovations in the CS domain). I was not aware the situation had changed, although the Japanese might be.

That should say: "most smartphones run a linux derivative, or some of them run a MS CE derivative, relabeled Windows Mobile".

What's this "Symbian" then? More lies, huh?

Microsoft have their games, their Xbox, XP for the home/office (please insist that Vista is now replacing XP, go on), and a handful of server NT releases.
    The apps are an add-on (an expensive add-on); how many people buy MS apps to run on linux, or anything except NT, do you have a figure for that?

Please keep misinterpreting this - pursue it until your brain explodes by all means. I know it's essentially the guts of their product strategy - a one-horse carriage.

One more time:
    Windows is something of a minefield, I personally believe it won't survive, it's gotten way too bloated and inefficient. Microsoft is the most attacked OS on the planet, it's still the most vulnerable because of poor design.
    Vista is a good example of what happens when you try to shoehorn software together, you get a big mess.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  16. John99 Banned Banned

Isnt ITROn Java based?

17. Vkothii Banned Banned

No, it's part of the TRON project; didn't know the Japs had got the thing to this level of ubiquity though - although it isn't being used here, or in Europe, or America, or anywhere except China and Japan and some other Asian countries. Western device manufacturers tend to stick to the tried and trusty, linux has measured up, Microsoft has picked away at it; now the TRON project, or a linux-TRON design of some kind, might be the next step.

I heard about TRON a while back, when it was still one of hundreds of stories about innovative projects. So now it's one of the top stories - go figure.

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

Vkothii, give up, I own you.

19. Vkothii Banned Banned

You own shit.

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

Dude, you've been proven wrong on several counts. Give up.

21. Vkothii Banned Banned

"Proven"??
    All I can make out that you have managed to demonstrate, let alone prove, is how to jump to conclusions because you seem to think your a bloody expert.

All I've seen is a load of tired arguments that don't actually begin to address a thing I said. You simply haven't followed it have you.
    Instead, you've followed the well-worn path of Micro-supremacy, that's based on mostly hype and how easily people can be fooled into believing that because it's made by Microsob, it must be good, and "easy" to use. But I haven't ever observed this, ever, only that it doesn't live up to the hype.

Hiding absolutely everything, encoding it so you can't understand it even if you can find it, making OS software that does stuff you have no idea about.
    That's a closed system. Because MS is the only group who do know, they have that all to themselves. What you get when you buy their stuff is a big headache, unless you're happy to let it do what MS wants, rather than what you want - you have to trust their judgement.

No thanks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Vkothii, let me recap. You claimed that MS was kept afloat by it's gaming revenue, and XP. That wasn't true.

You claimed that Linux is the most prevalent OS. That wasn't true.

You tried to claim I was a PC/MS fanatic. That's not the case, I listed all the OS's I've used.

Every post you make has a new fallacy in it.

23. Vkothii Banned Banned

Linux OS installs outnumber MS installs substantially - you got it wrong.

XP is an NT OS - so are all the other OSes they design - it's a one-horse carriage, like I said.

You just keep refusing to understand what I said, and keep climbing up on a non-existent soapbox.

Since I've said what I had to say some time ago, apart from the completely pointless crap I've had to say since in response to your equally pointless crap, I'm done now.

Understand what I said - or don't. I don't actually care - remember?
    But I painted what I think is an accurate picture of the state of systems - not just PCs or servers, systems.
    And I won't be saying it any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.