Who do you dress for?

On what do you base your choice of clothes?

• Total voters
Fashion is driven by women, not men.
Before I married I dressed for other women, but I did it through men. I didn't want the men, only thier attention, because that attention made other women jealous. I was aiming for the jealousy, not the attention.
When other women are jealous, you know you look good. I think most men just see a potentially naked woman no matter what you are wearing.

true

There may be something to the statement "the clothes make the man", I really don't know because I've never been into clothes. I wear a very basic combo of jeans and a collared shirt most days because that's what the dress code is at my office, and that's what I'm comfortable in. So that brings me to an observation about clothes, and I really don't have a point here or an argument, just an observation.

Last night was an interesting study in perceptions for me. I was the best man in a wedding in Fairhope AL, and the bride bought us matching pants, shirt, tie, and sport coats instead of going the tuxedo route. Bear in mind she picked out some Ralph Lauren stuff that definitely would not have been my first choice (see pink tie), but whatever, I was there to do a job. The funny thing was, during the reception and after it was over and we went to the hotel lounge I garnered a type of attention I'm not accustomed to from the fairer sex. I will admit, I looked good in what she bought us. If fit well, and I had on the flower and the whole getup and I was grinning ear to ear because it was such a great night, so maybe just the confidence thing had more to do with it than the clothes, I don't know, but there was definitely something different going on.

So for the wonderful ladies of sciforums, a question if you will indulge me: Take an average looking dude like me and put him in a sharp suit or shirt-tie combo, whatever, does that influence the way you see him? The dollars would say yes, as evidenced by the designer clothes market for men, but out there in the meat world away from NYC or LA, does it make a difference?

Sorry SAM if you think this if totally off-topic.

my husband buys a good portion of my clothes
I tell him to buy whatever he thinks I'd look good with

So for the wonderful ladies of sciforums, a question if you will indulge me: Take an average looking dude like me and put him in a sharp suit or shirt-tie combo, whatever, does that influence the way you see him? The dollars would say yes, as evidenced by the designer clothes market for men, but out there in the meat world away from NYC or LA, does it make a difference?

To be honest I don't get all excited in men in a suit and tie. I rather like them dressed in more fashion forward casual dress.

Most definiately.
declan.jpg

Even Declan could get laid with the right tailoring.

Can't be a cheap suit though, that just makes you look like a geography teacher.

I've long thought Indian suits to be far more sensible and appealing than western styles.

Short little collars...and they dont tuck in their shirts.

flashhj9.jpg

That's models posing in a picture what makes 'em fromagetastic. Indian men are [imho] the most beautiful in the world. And yes Carcano, they have the finest tailoring and fabrics.

I dress for convenience. I'm fond of relatively tough fabrics and lots of pockets (like fatigues). I also prefer tee-shits and polo shirts. I rarely buy any clothes with any patterns, logos, or bright colors. My favorite clothing colors are navy blue, black, beige, and olive green.
I prefer sandals over shoes. I actually wear them year round regardless of how cold it gets (my feet never feel cold for some reason).
I rarely wear hats - but sometimes sport a visor.

I tend to avoid button up shirts, or any thing with a collar.
I also tend to wear the same thing over and over again (not multiple days in a row).

I'm clueless about how to impress women, so I don't have any clothes that I consider plumage.

....So for the wonderful ladies of sciforums, a question if you will indulge me: Take an average looking dude like me and put him in a sharp suit or shirt-tie combo, whatever, does that influence the way you see him? The dollars would say yes, as evidenced by the designer clothes market for men, but out there in the meat world away from NYC or LA, does it make a difference?.....

I would prefer to see a man in a suit. I like hats (not caps) as well.

Its like a cop. One in a uniform...eh, ok. Slap a hat on him and all of a sudden he's just....more.

You can tell to some extent how good a band is by how much dressing up they need. Gene Simmons for example, realized early on that KISS would never be anything musically other than a very good bar band. He needed a gimmick, and the make-up/outrageous outfits were the only way into the big time. Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, could show up in clothes their grandmother gave them for Christmas...and they would still mow down everything in sight!
I can hear the music in the comfort of my living room in perfect high fidelity. When I pay $100 per ticket, fight traffic for two hours to get to a stadium, get frisked and settle for drinking Budweiser, I demand to see a SHOW! But no, that doesn't excuse Kiss, and almost every bar band I know is better than they are.
ah yes. I have a closet full of what my husband calls my "fuck-me pumps."
David Bowie popularized that phrase during his Ziggy Stardust period when he was wearing them although he probably didn't invent it. Today I hear them referred to as CFMP's: come fuck me pumps. Girls buy them at the DSW (Discount Shoe Warehouse) so they have DSWCFMPs.
I'm clueless about how to impress women, so I don't have any clothes that I consider plumage.
Allow me to give you your first clue: Don't start with the clothes! A whole lot of other stuff is a whole lot more important. A nice man who dresses like a doofus will get a nice woman. An asshole who dresses like a stud will not.

LOL, Yes, but those things cost money and I hate spending it.
We've put 200,000 miles on the Mercedes in 30 years and it's still running fine. (A diesel of course.) We bought the ruby wholesale and we could sell it for three or four times what we paid for it. So both were good investments.

Fraggle Rocker said:
Allow me to give you your first clue: Don't start with the clothes! A whole lot of other stuff is a whole lot more important. A nice man who dresses like a doofus will get a nice woman. An asshole who dresses like a stud will not.

Oh so very true indeed.

Originally Posted by Fraggle Rocker
A nice man who dresses like a doofus will get a nice woman. An asshole who dresses like a stud will not.

rubbish. complete rubbish. chicks love assholes. too off topic to talk about.

on topic, only 4 sciforums peeps voted for fashion. we all anti conformists or geeks or what? if the question was 'do you dress like people you identify with, and so adopt a certain fashion sense', would answers be different? i would think most people have an idea about the consequences of what they're wearing. you wear old stuff cos you're anti-consumerist or anti-fashion whore, or a sentimentalist or retrophile. i wear band shirts and and old stuff cos i reckon they're cool, its my idea of fashion.

Back