Posts per day

Probably. People are afraid of all kinds of things, which is how social conformity is enforced. When you come from a society where class and caste are both used to manipulate how people think about themselves you can recognise the signs. People are afraid of saying something because they might be wrong, people are afraid of standing up for what they believe in because its not politically correct, people are afraid of being judged and found wanting.

As Dawkins says:

Yea, I don't see how a high post count should be something bad in itself.
People with a low post count can post all kinds of nonsensical shit.

As Dawkins says....

You know SAM, I think you've invented a new form of Godwin's law. You however have to substitute Nazi with Athiesm. I guess it's SAM's law :)

Last edited:
S.A.M. that's almost 50 posts a day. Do you have a job?

Hey I had 75 a day when I was working on my degree. I've actually toned down now that the atheists have stopped stalking me.:D

Plus I graduated so I'm more relaxed now.

The list isn't representative anyway. There are a number of members on it that have long gone or only visit the site occasionally nowadays, and they are still on the list. So it's obvious that they used to have a much higher posts/day count.

Frankly I don't care if anyone has issues with my post count. I like this site and I post here. I ask a lot of questions, some scientific, some not. So what

Diagnosis: Fascination

Well, few if any of those numbers represent output peaks. I'm certain I've had a higher ppd before. And, yes, I was gone for several months, but nobody really noticed.

But I wonder what the curves look like over time. Is it spiky and erratic, or a smooth fluctuation?

If we had daily activity marks available for general viewing—SciTrends, or something—I think there would be much entertainment and enlightenment to be found insofar as community behavior is concerned. We might actually get to know one another a little bit more.

Oh. Right.

why is my post count so high?
well to contradict enmos its not because i paticipate in the rapid fire "word association" type threads.

Vertually everytime i get on there are about 10 threads i paticipate in with new posts

for instance this morning there are:

Belgian Chocolate
This thread
Ankles or Cankles
Tide turning on Circumcision, Push to circumcise all male infants
Documentary thread
IHS: US Publically Financed Medicine (don't get sick after June!)
Israel begins sell-off of refugees' land
What is it with Australia
Depression and fertility
Doctors vs. Guns
Welcome these two :)
Canadian Health System
District 9
Poll: Should Britain have freed Lockerbie Bomber?

JUST with posts listed as today
then there are more from overnight

Even if i only post one post in half of them thats a post rate of 6 and thats ignoring any new threads which have opened up overnight

If we had daily activity marks available for general viewing—SciTrends, or something—I think there would be much entertainment and enlightenment to be found insofar as community behavior is concerned. We might actually get to know one another a little bit more.

Oh. Right.

Thats an excellent notion. Is that possible with this vbulletin software?

Don't know if it's possible, but just imagine ....

I have no idea, but I would love to see the deviations that occur around various national holidays around the world, and high-profile human events. How long after an incident before it hits Sciforums? How long after that before it experiences its peak posting? Social scientists could actually take that kind of data from a broad range of interactive communities and formulate certain postulations about human behavior. Fascinating comprehension beckons.

tiassa you really think sciforums is a good representation of the general populas?

(Insert Title Here)

No. But that's not the point.

Imagine if a thousand web communities did the same, and someone somewhere collated the generic data. Even if it's just one or two websites, the point isn't to discover a principle about general society. It's to watch how computer users interact with virtual concepts.

One needs broad diversity in the data to identify general trends, but there is much to be learned—especially in a comparative context over the long term—from examining the behavior of a specific microcosm. The distal in this case defines the general terms. The proximal gives those terms meaning and function.

What would be the personal impact be of a statement like, "(Member) spends X hours a week online, about Y per day; but notice the twenty-six percent increase during those two weeks when he was fighting with (Other), an additional (time) spent per day in the trenches."

Some of us would certainly be shocked by our own numbers. It's easy not to think of hours spent or wasted. Unless you happen to be looking right at them.

And people are curious. Even and especially about themselves. And, yes, some would try to use the stats as ammunition, but come on. We can expect people to be smart enough to see through that.

There are some times that I would intervene in an argument and simply say that people should be aware that the gallery just isn't that stupid, except, well, yeah, it's not like I have any real moral authority about playing to the gallery. Of course, one man's irony is another's condescension, but I digress. I just think it would add an entirely new dimension to the communal experience at Sciforums.

James, what do you deduce from this?

I'd estimate that most regular contributors average about 5 posts per day over time.

A higher post rate, I think, may indicate one or more of the following, for starters:

• Posts are of a low quality or "knee-jerk" variety.
  • Poster thinks sciforums can be used like a Facebook status box.
  • Poster is happy to start threads on just about anything that pops into his or her mind, and lacks the ability to self-censor and reflect on whether other members may be interested.
  • Poster spends too much time on the internet.
  • Poster places too much importance on internet forums, probably at the expense of his or her "real life".
  • Poster has an unhealthy obsession with one or more topics discussed on sciforums and feels compelled to post on them to excess.
  • Poster is very fast at processing information, is an excellent and efficient writer, has lots of intelligent things to say and is very good at multitasking internet use with his or her real life.

I would add;

• Poster needs constant attention, validation and/or interaction and does not get this from their real life.
  • Poster craves conflict and drama and didn't get enough in High School.
  • Poster considers themself to be of lesser intelligence, and needs to prove to him/herself that they can have intelligent discussions.
  • Poster has overall esteem issues and uses the anonymity of the internet to test out new personna to wear.

I'd estimate that most regular contributors average about 5 posts per day over time.

A higher post rate, I think, may indicate one or more of the following, for starters:

• Poster is happy to start threads on just about anything that pops into his or her mind, and lacks the ability to self-censor and reflect on whether other members may be interested.
  • Poster places too much importance on internet forums, probably at the expense of his or her "real life".
  • Poster has an unhealthy obsession with one or more topics discussed on sciforums and feels compelled to post on them to excess.
  • Poster is very fast at processing information, is an excellent and efficient writer, has lots of intelligent things to say and is very good at multitasking internet use with his or her real life.

well, that covers it all doesn't it. LOL How much time on the internet is too much time? :shrug: an hr? 2 hrs?

I would add;

• Poster needs constant attention, validation and/or interaction and does not get this from their real life.
  • Poster craves conflict and drama and didn't get enough in High School.
  • Poster considers themself to be of lesser intelligence, and needs to prove to him/herself that they can have intelligent discussions.
  • Poster has overall esteem issues and uses the anonymity of the internet to test out new personna to wear.

:cool:

What about people who come back with new accounts [do-overs] and hence have a post count that does not reflect their real contribution?

Back