a pat on the back
a thank you, will take under advisement

perhaps its still early
perhaps i've jumped the gun

but know this
a goddamn thank you is in goddamn order

you will be boycotted in here until you do so
hopefully by fellow geeks too

I am looking for something that would equal a Mac G5 in performance, keeping in mind that Windows is far more bloated than Mac OS. Can anyone help me estimate? Besides the basic set of running applications, I'd be running 2-3 design applications at the same time (InDesign or Quark XPress and Photoshop, for example), with large (20+ mb) files open in each, and I need to be able to do it with comfort and ease.

I can not simply get a Mac G5 because that would require getting a full new set of design software and a new mp3 player, so that would be too much of a hassle. I've never seen pirated Mac versions of design applications.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (good enough, cheap enough)
2GB RAM (ram is cheap, so why not one gig more - 3gb)
GeForce 8600GTS or 9000GTS (not really an expert in graphic cards)
Windows XP

Make sure it has a firewire port

something like that

I am looking for something that would equal a Mac G5 in performance, keeping in mind that Windows is far more bloated than Mac OS. Can anyone help me estimate? Besides the basic set of running applications, I'd be running 2-3 design applications at the same time (InDesign or Quark XPress and Photoshop, for example), with large (20+ mb) files open in each, and I need to be able to do it with comfort and ease.

I can not simply get a Mac G5 because that would require getting a full new set of design software and a new mp3 player, so that would be too much of a hassle. I've never seen pirated Mac versions of design applications.

Simple. Get a wide screen laptop with good graphics, fast CPU and video out to hook up to a square monitor, for professional proofing get a CRT 'cause i would think the image quality is still better for crt or maybe LCD similar to a mac pro type. And of course with laptop you can use it anywhere and dont forget external usb 2.0 drive.

Simple. Get a wide screen laptop with good graphics, fast CPU and video out to hook up to a square monitor, for professional proofing get a CRT 'cause i would think the image quality is still better for crt or maybe LCD similar to a mac pro type. And of course with laptop you can use it anywhere and dont forget external usb 2.0 drive.

iow
buy a computer

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (good enough, cheap enough)
2GB RAM (ram is cheap, so why not one gig more - 3gb)
GeForce 8600GTS or 9000GTS (not really an expert in graphic cards)
Windows XP

Make sure it has a firewire port

something like that

iow
buy a computer

fancy that
impostors posturing as geeks

i remember setting up a file server for avatar and made available for d/l, my entire graphics collection. when was it, avatar? 3, 4 years ago?

you liked one collection in particular, some fantasy artwork. what was it? do you recall?

No, I don't remember any of that, sorry,
and it has nothing to do with wolf's pc.

Oh, about building, I don't know how it is in the states, but here one just goes to a pc shop, tells what parts he wishes to be in that pc, and the pc is custom built in three days. No mechanical work of the buyer required.

Well i said probably, it is kind of difficult to tell what Gustav is thinking.

Just to give a reason:

Why would she need a firewire port for her graphics? seem to me she is doing print graphics so i would just disable the firewire anyway. I have noticed that firewire is not as reliable as USB2 (on PC's) especially if you keep ejecting. like you would a drive or audio card.

Just in case she wants to upload a video from her cam at some point. Video and graphics is both visual arts and she might need a firewire port.

Oh, about building, I don't know how it is in the states, but here one just goes to a pc shop, tells what parts he wishes to be in that pc, and the pc is custom built in three days. No mechanical work of the buyer required.

oh that
we build it online
3 day delivery

real geeks never leave the darkened room and the box within

Their great. Throw off less heat, less flicker so your eyes wont hurt as much too. NOW YOU CAN BE HERE 24\7.

HAHAH the other one was so HEAVY it looks ancient!! This one is bigger and much better! They sure came down in price, I am glad I waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back