Humanity is an embarrassment.

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Enmos, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6393/is_/ai_n28866050

"But the scientists discovered something else in these experiments, something that sent chills down their spines. They found that the genetically modified bacteria were able to persist in the soil, raising the possibility that, had it been released, the genetically engineered Klebsiella could have become established -- and virtually impossible to eradicate.

"When the data first started coming in," says Elaine Ingham, the soil pathologist at Oregon State University who directed Michael Holmes' research on Klebsiella, "the EPA charged d'fat we couldn't have performed the research correctly. They went through everything with a fine tooth comb, and they couldn't find anything wrong with the experimental design -- but they tried as hard as they could ... If we hadn't done this research, the Klebsiella would have passed the approval process for commercial release."

Geneticist David Suzuki understands that what took place was truly ominous. "The genetically engineered Klebsiella," he says, "could have ended all plant life on this continent. The implications of this single case are nothing short of terrifying."
    "

Hopefully, one day, they will accidentally engineer an organism that will wipe out humanity directly.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. brokenpower Registered Senior Member

Well that makes me feel good about myself...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

An embarrassment to who???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Humanity is beauty, Humanity is a star shining amongst dark dead cosmos.

Humanity is a flower, a beautiful flower, so beautiful, colors aglow.

Humanity is an honor. I am honored to be a human. I am a species of humanity, have dignity in my race and all that is part of my race.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh, for Christ's sakes. Can we have a fucking ban on genetic engineering now? ENOUGH, already. Fucking idiots.

9. draqon Banned Banned

I as a human of species believe that Genetic Engineering is the future of humankind. It offers gigantic benefits to our society. Allowing us to heal ourselves, to perfect ourselves, to allow oursleves to be healthy and stay healthy.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Are you kidding me, with stories like that?

11. Balerion Banned Banned

How could you even say that? Religion is responsible for how many millions of deaths, but I don't hear you saying we should ban that.

12. draqon Banned Banned

I stand by my words.

Yes there is danger involved, but benefits are above all the issues.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

To ourselves of course. Or maybe I should just have said that I, for one, am utterly disappointed in humanity. This case is just another one for the pile.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yup. I also read somewhere that they are now seeing cross-fertilization from genetically modified crops to regular crops.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You can hear me say it..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In any case, I consider complete destruction of the life of an entire continent a couple of orders of magnitude larger than a few million human deaths over the course a few thousand years.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I'm happy for the save. But it makes me wonder, what if it fell into the wrong hands?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Then we're fucked, most likely.
    However, some unsafe engineered organisms could already be out there.
    And, seeing that the discovery of the dangerous properties of this organism was just by chance, what's to prevent future fuck-ups ?

18. Tnerb Banned Banned

GOt to look at it as humanity not an embarassment in itself.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What's the difference ?

20. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It's part of our nature to push the boundaries. "To go where no man has gone before". Every now and then we get burned.
    That's the only way to learn .
    But nonetheless, I don't want to get burned if I can avoid it.

21. Tnerb Banned Banned

No difference....

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Sometimes it's best to stay away from a situation you can't control, especially if it could mean complete annihilation (ok that's a tad over-dramatized, but it could do some serious damage).

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Is that worth the risk of stumping growth ? Are we to be afraid of our own shadow ?
    As long as we're careful.. right ?