Your work-out...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by superstring01, Aug 5, 2008.

1. superstring01 Moderator

So, I have a solid work-out regimen that rotates daily and weekly over the course of six weeks (provided for a trainer and based upon the "Five Factor Fitness" plan), which has done me well over the past three years.

While I no longer am in contact with said trainer, I have noticed that I've plateaued over the past year in the development of my biceps and triceps.

Currently I employ a mixture of:

[biceps]
    -inverted-hand, standard curl-bar preacher curls
    -standard dumbbell preacher curls
    -compound (nautilus) curls
    -standard curl-bar curls

[triceps]
    -skull crushers
    -dips
    -compound (nautilus) tricep extensions
    -standing (arm behind head) tricep extensions

I'm open to suggestions.

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Do you exercise your legs?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

Of course. The above mentioned exercises were mentioned only because I am concerned about the upper appendages and not the lower ones. I have a well balance work-out. My legs (as part of my genetic inheritance from my biological father) are well developed. In fact, my lower half, in general, is well above satisfactory. It's the fracking arms that don't want to cooperate. I wish -- oh how I wish!!! -- I had also inherited my father's torso as well.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Okay, just wondering.
    Sorry I'm not much of a fitness guru so I can't really help you.

8. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I'm not a fan of isolated workouts but... try close grip benching for tris, and what sort of set/rep do you have going on with your bi workouts?

9. superstring01 Moderator

It starts like this:

2 sets of 30
    2 sets of 25 (increase weight)
    3 sets of 20 (increase weight)
    3 sets of 15 (increase weight)
    3 sets of 10 (increase weight)
    3 sets of 10 (increase weight)

Start over, but with more weight.

It's amazing (when followed properly with a solid diet). My arms won't budge.

I would seriously consider seteroids if (a) they weren't so gosh-darned illegal and (b) I had the money.

~String

10. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

For muscle building that sounds like a LOT of overkill. I've been a fan of the less is more idea of working out where you do fewer reps but with a higher weight. I don't know if you're willing to try a drastic change to your regimen, but try shifting to only 5 bicep sets with only 3 reps per set. And the weight you use should be a lot heavier than what you're used to, to the point where you can't go past the third rep. And don't do all four of your bicep exercises with this, more like 2.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Greater weight with fewer reps will tear your muscles more thus producing more muscle.

12. superstring01 Moderator

I didn't explain myself clearly.

I only do one specific exercise in a day, per muscle group.

each "them" lasts a week (i.e. two sets of 30 reps).

~String

13. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Then for your bicep workout I would shift to the 5x3 per day model with higher weights. If you're doing similar sets for your triceps, I would try changing them to the higher weight model too.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I agree.
    The way to build muscle is to tear muscle.
    The way to tear muscle is heavy weight.
    Lighter weight with greater reps trims fat and promotes greater strength, but does not build as much muscle.
    If you can do 30 reps, you don't have enough weight on there to build the muscle you are looking for.

15. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Going back a few years since doing any formal training here String but a couple of ideas ( which you probably already know anyway), make sure you have good resistance throughout the entire range of motion, right to the ends which also promotes good flexibility and reduces bunched muscles.
    If you have a spotter, get them to add a little extra force on the extension part of the motion, i.e on the downward section of your preacher curls, they add some force which you have to resist( again, right to the end of the motion).

Also, I noticed the only time my arms ever got bigger was when I was doing heavy duty building work ( rock walls etc) I think the fact that my wrists and hands got extremely strong allowed my arms to follow suit.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm into Psychoaerobics. I just think about exercising and I build muscle tone and strength.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Bells Staff Member

My work out..

Hmmmm

Chasing after a nearly three year old and a 1 year old. Weight training involves picking one or both up and running across the back garden chasing a ball or the dog (or both at the same time) or at the park.. Sometimes, if I am 'lucky', I get to hoist the nearly 3 year old up above my head and lift him up and down for tickle kisses.. Then I do the same with the 1 year old to end the weightlifting exercise. Then of course there is swimming with the both of them.. And everything else.

Best weightloss regime I have ever experienced. So much so that I have lost too much weight and can't seem to put it back on and I am still losing weight.

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Try slowing down your rep speed, for instance when curling take 15-20 seconds to come up 15-20 seconds going down each rep.

Are you getting enough protein?.

peace.

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

I agree with Chi, I manage to maintain 14" biceps doing just 20 curls @ 10Kg per arm per day. Same for neck raises. I don't rush. It hurts, but no pain, no gain.

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

I slow down all my workouts, 30 seconds up 30 seconds down on a single push up/sit up/squat etc, freeweights and all. I dont do it constantly with every workout though I do normal speed reps also, but I try to atleast get 1-2 days in per week where I slow everything down, or mix it up and do some fast sets some slow sets.

In my opinion its very helpful whatever your training for, more people should try it. you see results much faster in your actual strength and muscle quality.

peace.

21. superstring01 Moderator

I wish. My whole workout would be entirely different if the physically active friends I have lived near me. They don't. I, therefore, have to do without a spotter.

A good point.

Good suggestion. I'm going to shift my rotation to all lower reps and higher weights for th next 90 days.

I'll report back on the success.

~String

22. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I remember being taught that for muscle building you should be doing 8 - 10 reps at 70% of your maximum lift 3 times per day.

23. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

The only exercise I get lately is doing "12oz." curls.