Write4U's wobbly world of word salad woo

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Write4U, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Thanks for that informative response. I understand what it is but how does heat spread?

My question; Does heat propagate via a wave function? When heat encounters an "observer" does that wave function collapse and transfer energy?

Just looking for common denominators.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I see a common denominator between that 2nd Law and SOL, they are both universal constants, no?
    Are they both subject to the same rules that govern quantum?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Conduction, convection and/or radiation. Those are the process by which heat can be transferred from a hotter body to a colder one.
    Heat is energy, and energy is just a number. Energy is not and cannot be a wave (although waves "carry" energy, by which we mean that some energy is associated with a wave and can be transferred from one system to another by the wave).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Every time you use this word incorrectly God smites a physicist.

Quantum is not, in-itself, a thing; instead use it to describe the thing you want to ask about: "the quantum realm" or "quantum mechanics".

Pinball1970 likes this.
  8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

OK.
    (p.s. the Bohmian Pilot Wave?)

I used this description:
    A "differential equation?"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat

QuarkHead likes this.
  9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Of course, quantum is a thing. It represents a distinct "value", or a "potential".

What does mathematical quantum mean in physics?
    https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/quantum#

10. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

You are getting completely mixed up. Heat is an emergent property of atoms as has been explained to you and are explained by the laws of thermodynamics.
    A wave function is in the realm of quantum mechanics and relates amongst other things to the probabilistic nature of the micro world.

exchemist likes this.
  11. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

I have read all your responses. PLEASE get a basic book on physical chemistry to understand what guys like Boltzmann did.
    There is a fair bit of mathematics in there but that is what chemistry and physics is. Approximations of the universe using mathematical relationships.

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I’m not going down these nonsense rabbit holes of yours any more.

I will occasionally try to correct or clarify points of science in what you write, when it is coherent enough to have a meaning. Otherwise, I’m out, where you are concerned.

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

The poster you are responding to is most likely senile. He cannot use scientific terms correctly and always tries to drag the discussion onto a handful of pet obsessions, Bohm’s metaphysical speculations being one example. Discussion with him is invariably extremely unrewarding. You enter any such discussion at your own risk.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Pinball1970 likes this.
  14. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Ok thanks for the heads up.

Some of his posts read like someone had grabbed a bunch of scientific terms, put them in a cocktail shaker, then made a martini out of them.

James R and exchemist like this.
  15. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Indeed. One of his tics is to flip-flop between the meaning of certain terms in science and their general meaning in everyday speech. A good (and recurring) example is "function", flip-flopping between the mathematical f(x) meaning, as in wave function, with the general meaning, i.e. what something does. Another is "potential".

Dave even at one point produced something very artistic, called "Write4U's Wobbly Wheel of Word Salad Woo" , to depict the various buzzwords and obsessions:-

DaveC426913, billvon and Pinball1970 like this.
  16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That is a very insightful and accurate description.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  17. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Yes BUT, what is the point of sites like this?
    Someone asks a question and we answer if we are able yes?
    As a student (I am a student of many things INCLUDING the things I am supposed to be an expert in) we are supposed to absorb information given to us by more qualified posters and info that is already in the literature. Verified as far as it can be.
    This is a good thing it means we learn as we go along.
    Being corrected and directed to a different way of approaching a problem.

18. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes, and you will see that is what happens when a sensible - or even discernible - question arises. I've even been known to take silly questions seriously, for the sake of an exercise, for instance this one: http://www.sciforums.com/threads/how-does-water-not-spin-off-the-earth.162679/#post-3611997

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Then why do you not ask me to explain and/or clarify what it is that relates these seemingly random citations?

Unfortunately, few appreciate the effort to find "common denominators" as part of the search for an answer as to what makes it all tick.

So far I believe that Max Tegmark and several other "knowledgeable" scientists are/were on the right track in following the original scientists (Plato, Pythagoras, Galileo), by proposing
    that mathematics is a fundamental logical essence of the spacetime geometry.

IMO, it fills all the requirements for being called "language of the Universe".

A whole new aspect of a mathematical universe has been introduced by Renate Loll et al.
    Its named "Causal Dynamical Triangulation" (CDT), that proposes a spacetime unfolding in a fractal (mathematical) manner.
    more.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_dynamical_triangulation

I hear the poo-poos, but I never hear a better idea that can replace the concept of a Logical function that guides the interaction of "values" which can be symbolized with human maths. What's up with that?

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Just to conclude my own research and contribution to the question of "heat flow" from warm to cold.

Heat equation
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Animated plot of the evolution of the temperature in a square metal plate as predicted by the heat equation. The height and redness indicate the temperature at each point. The initial state has a uniformly hot hoof-shaped region (red) surrounded by uniformly cold region (yellow). As time passes the heat diffuses into the cold region.
    more.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_equation#

OK, I'm done with this.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Write4U:
    There was a question mark there, but you haven't actually asked a question. What about the Bohmian Pilot Wave?
    The term "differential equation" has previously been defined for you and explained carefully to you. And yet, you insist on using that term in an idiosyncratic, pseudoscientific way. Why do you do that?

Are you unable to take in new information? Are you stuck in a very limited universe of your own notions?
    People here have also, previously, tried to school you on why your usage of the terms "value" and "potential" are pseudoscientific. You took nothing away from those attempts, it seems. It's a pity.

At what stage, if any, after careful correction by multiple independent parties who know what terms like "quantum" mean, will you be willing to adjust your usage to match the usage of every qualified quantum physicist or chemist? Will that ever happen with you, or will you endlessly insist on your own nonsensical attempt to redefine that word, too?

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Because that was being described.
    Because it is appropriate. Maybe "partial differential equations" would have been more accurate?
    I speak in generalities.
    No, I am inside an expanding mathematical Universe along with some very good company.
    Yes, I used the terms correctly in context of my posits, but it seems that there is no attempt at all to use my accompanying supporting sources.
    And how do you know that my usage is in error?

Can you demonstrate it, so that I have an opportunity to respond to your narrow interpretation?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Partial differential equation

A visualisation of a solution to the two-dimensional heat equation with temperature represented by the vertical direction and color.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_differential_equation

Heat equation

Animated plot of the evolution of the temperature in a square metal plate as predicted by the heat equation. The height and redness indicate the temperature at each point. The initial state has a uniformly hot hoof-shaped region (red) surrounded by uniformly cold region (yellow). As time passes the heat diffuses into the cold region.
    Does that look familiar? Common Denominators! Common function!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023