When does life begin?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by thall53, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Certainly it can be handled biologically - there's no reason at all to muddy the waters and perspective by dragging in politics, etc. It's a simple, direct question that can be treated scientifically without all the distortions, preconceptions, agendas, bias, etc. that you are suggesting here.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Tell us "scientifically" at what point life begins then... OP asks this: When, at which moment?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I'm perfectly calm, thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Always, in fact.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And the topic you replied to was completely off-topic also. I just chose to answer yours because it was the latter part of the two-post sequence that went astray.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I didn't really get the "No"-part, can you explain it further? Is it no a tumour can't cry, or no a tumour is not alive, or just no, for no apparent reason?
    Tumours seem to be quite cheerful lifeforms with many expressions.

8. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

I agree with this statement. Why make it un-necessicerily complicated?
    I'm going for 14 weeks because the heart is formed and beating and the brain is essentially functioning on some level. Everything physical that makes an individual is basically intact now. Arms and legs are forming at this stage and although it is practically indistuinguishable from a chicken feotus, it is nonetheless, human.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I've already answered that - more than once, in fact. Just read my previous posts.

10. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

No you didn't. You expressed your personal opinion or understanding without substantiating what you understand from "beginning". You didn't support your idea with any sort of "scientific" methodology or evidence on the issue of "beginning" -whatever meaning you are giving to this "event (?)"-.

11. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Sorry, but my mum, my aunt and my grandad all died of cancer. I would not be comfortable persuing this. Perhaps you would like to create a new thread?

12. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I've also had people close to me dying from cancer, my grandad and ex-boyfriend, so you could say it's a killer, the tumor. Sure, we can create a new thread:
    The life of a tumour, all aspects included.

13. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Crap. read my posts.

14. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Actually Baftan, I'm the only one who has given any scientific methodology so if you really can't read I suggest you bugger off, or provide some of your own.

15. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

I am immune to any religious mumbo-jumbo, especially if it starts with a word like "truly". Using biological jargon will not necessarily make your personal "comments" more scientific.

16. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

You've been reported.

17. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

How petty. I can argue my case, can you?

18. Emil Valued Senior Member

Guys, are you aware that you are on a philosophical forum and not a biological?

19. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

This topic is submitted under the sub-forum "Ethics, Morality, & Justice" (not Biology!) for a good reason. Try to understand why...

Secondly, if someone starts an argument with a "bugger off" type of presentation, I suspect from the intentions behind the case.

20. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Anyway, aside from all that stupidness, There is a case to say that when the gametes fuse, life begins. But what good is a few cells that can't evidently support themselves, have no semblance of conciousness, and are a very long way from viable? At least at 14 weeks they are beginning to take the shape of what they will one-day be (even if they do have a tail!) They are alive, and are beginning to differentiate themselves into a human being.

21. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Ok , number one thread you accused me of religeous mumbo-jumbo. If you can't provide it I expect an apology.

22. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

How do you begin to determine where life starts without looking at the biology?

23. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

That's what I call "selective reading".

You replied my specific answer to someone else (Read-0nly) with a "crap". Somehow, you must have managed to sense an attack to your ideas, I don't know, it's your problem. Moreover, you asked me to read your post which starts with this sentence:

I find the tone and the word selection of your introductory sentence religious. Yet again, I didn't -personally- accuse you "of religious mumbo-jumbo". I simply targeted what was written. Taking this as a personal judgement about you is also your problem.

I repeat, you have no argument behind your "beginning" story. Judging from your numeric examples, your understanding of "life" is restricted to the scope of human biological progress. OP openly try to limit the life with a "beginning" as well as an "end". And you are merely fuelling this search without questioning the idea of "bordering" life.

This entire project is fully open to personal interpretation; for instance:

What kind of measurement is being used in this "technical" activation point?