What is time??

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Shadow1, Feb 5, 2011.

1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You can draw 4-D in a 2-D format - it is simply a cartoon.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I am sure that will be enough of a reason for the physics community to toss out 100 years of experimental conformation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

To understand the nature of time, it seems it's necessary to understand the nature of space.

I guess.

So what is the nature of space? One of the properties of space is that it's expanding, or increasing in volume--there are presumably no regions of the universe where space is shrinking instead.
    Likewise, there are presumably no regions of the universe where time "runs backwards".
    How does time "run forwards" then? Is it because entropy must increase and not decrease, in some limit which must be "universal" but not necessarily true in a finite region of the universe where entropy is allowed to decrease "temporarily"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Not really, you can either add a new dimension to get a number, but not call it a dimension, because it is actually a pseudo-dimension. Or you can go with the physics, and call time an overlap in the X/Y/Z with its own X/Y/Z position between particles. Does it really matter that the maths gets harder? It is the truth that we are supposed to find, not a working mathematical model.

8. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

It is a human creation that time runs in any direction, it is spherical, it bounces in every direction like a trapped super bouncing ball. That alone will move everything. It doesn't need a direction apart from in a mathematical structure... a human illusion. If you move in the +X, the ball tries to escape -X, and bounces back in the +X again.

9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Time doesn't have just one direction? And time isn't linear, but spherical?

So clocks are useless, then? We only imagine that the earth is rotating in one direction, it's actually rotating in all directions, and the sun should appear to be everywhere in the sky instead of just the one place we imagine? Odd that millions of people on the surface of earth imagine the same thing together, isn't it?

10. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Time has been described in such a way as to cause confusion. Time is just a force to move objects from a standing start. It is therefore cause of all movement. To move something from a standing start you allow two particles to overlap, they will then move apart. The overlap can be cause by scaling up, and scaling up is none locomotive movement. Scaling can happen without time, scale is relative.. fundamental particles have no properties to describe their scale. You should ask why a fundamental particle accepts its current scale for no apparent reason? The truth is that a fundamental particle has no scale until it overlaps another particle, then it has restrictions to its growth.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  11. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

But force is the time derivative of momentum. Your description is circular.
    Besides, how to determine an object is "standing"? How is a "start" defined?

Is it possible to discuss the nature of space using non-temporal language? Does such a language exist?

12. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Scale.. none temporal. That's the part you missed out. A fundamental particle, made from itself, nothing to scale it. Scale can cause none temporal push force...

So does this sentence make sense... What is the scale of a fundamental particle 5 minutes later? You would have to force the sentence to make sense in a universe that isn't moving yet.

Scale doesn't need time... even if in your head it might seem to require time.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

But why does 'scale' exist? Where did the universe get 'scale' from? "A universe that isn't moving" doesn't make sense either, because obviously everything in it is moving.

Given that time is universal, the scale of the universe is time-dependent, even if there are particles in it with a (quantum) scale which is time-independent. It doesn't make sense really, to consider the scale or size of quantum particles which are fundamental, it makes more sense to consider the interactions between them, which are time-and-space dependent.

Without space, there can't be any interactions, without time, interactions don't make any sense.

14. wlminex Banned Banned

Members: I have requested from James R that my subscription to Sciforum be terminated. Hope to hear from you on occasion. wlminex@msn.com

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

OK. Hope you have a good life.

16. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Everything is moving now, but you should account for movement from a stationary state. Particles are just sphere, and movement is a physical state that is achieved through interactions of those sphere. Scale is certainly part of that physical interaction, as the circumference is the bump property that you need for movement. Scale is evident without time.. just use plank scale as an example. First you need scale.. plank, then bump, then movement, and time, and then gravity as a complete evolutionary set of rules for particles.

Let's look deeper into scale. Scale is relative, and the very first particles have no relative association. From a human point of view, plank is very small, but from a first particle point of view plank was the scale at which overlap evolved. Overlap created an associated energy, that was to move apart, because overlap was a greater order of energy in local space. If a particle is called 1, then overlapped particles are 1+. This raise in energy is all that you need to create energy transfer, and time... entropy.

If you allow movement without evolution of movement you are jumping a stage of evolution. It is far better to allow scale before movement. Scale would be to blot local energy like blotting paper. You are a particle, you have an X/Y/Z location, and in that X/Y/Z location is local energy.. you can blot it up, and scale up, and blot up more until you overlap another particle.

If time is movement, you aren't moving, you are growing, and if movement requires a bump you will soon get a bump start...time.

What is better to allow, movement or stationary growth?

For a particle that is just a sphere, it is better to allow stationary growth. It has no way to move on its own, but it does sit in some sort of local energy.

17. hansda Valued Senior Member

I think , what you mean by 'overlap' is ' overlapping of beginning of a cycle , with the end of the cycle ' . In that case , time is a cycle or number of cycles . So , time can be measured through number of some cycles . I mean time is ; ' number of times , something is overlapping ' .

18. hansda Valued Senior Member

This can be said that ; " a force is generated from its field ." . So, 'space-time' basically is a 'force-field' . Newton said , " two masses attract each other and from this attraction , the force between two masses is generated . " . From the force-field around a mass , this can be explained ; how and why a force is generated between two masses .

19. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

So long as you remember that the field is spherically stacked individual particles, because that is important to the physics of the field. You can imagine a clock, or you can imagine the cogs, it is better to see the cogs in your mind than the whole clock. I don't know how many scientists think in a Quantum scale, but I generally think of everything at the Quantum scale nowadays instead of the human scale.

20. hansda Valued Senior Member

Simply put ; you mean to say 'present' is dependant upon 'past' . That is ' cause and effect' principle of physics .

21. hansda Valued Senior Member

I think space shrinks in the black-hole . So, space can expand as well shrink ; just like an elastic-tape .
    I think time neither runs forward or backward . Only direction time moves is ; from past to present to future . If this direction of time can be considered as 'forward' ; then time doesnt run backwards .

22. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Cause, and effect is a better way to think about time. Anticipation is to wait for a cause before it happens. You can throw a ball, but to reverse that process you need to anticipate the ball heading towards you, and open your hands for no apparent reason. That is something which surely breaks the past present reversal. I'm not happy with attraction in any case.

23. wellwisher Banned Banned

One way to infer what time is, is to stop time and then see what remains in nature and what is lost. Time will be directly related to the difference since the loss of the time variable will define what is left.

Say we take a snap shot of all the laws of physics and motion occuring at the same time, so we stop time. What we lose is velocity, acceleration, the action or expression of force and all dynamic expressions of energy. What remains is mass, charge, particles, potential energy, distance and space. Also all the forces appear to be at steady state, since there is no action or reaction. There are some other things if one wishes to add.

Based on this diffence we know what time is responsible for. I like to call this area of respnosibility time potential.

Time potential allows velocity, acceleration, kinetic energy, can change the steady state expression of force, allows entropy to increase, to name a few.