What does it mean to be Covariant?

If you don't know what a basis set is, you can't tell me you understand more than the bare minimum about vector spaces. Many of the most basic results in linear algebra rely on the concept of a vector space basis. You can choose to cop out now and keep this thread on record with you giving up, so we can point to it every time you claim to have some understanding of a vastly more sophisticated topic, or you can finish what you started and answer pretty much one of the simplest vector space questions a guy could ever ask you.

I don't get why this is such a big deal. No one would hold it against you to say you haven't learned a particular area of math, or that you attempted to study it and later realized your perceived understanding was completely mistaken. What do you expect to gain by trying to discuss math subjects you're not ready to discuss?

I will try this one last time.

Do you, or do you not recognize the mathematical path I was taking above? Does one not use the path I did to identify linearly independant vectors, which is a basis!!?? I know of the mathematical proceedure I used before, when I began to learn about them, if there is a much easier way to identify them, then, you are my guest. But don't sit there and patronize me for work I have never done.

So, if you want me to continue here, then please, explain what it is you are trying to hint at, otherwise, stop trying to make me look like a fool. If you recognize the mathematical proceedure I was performing to find linearly independant vectors (which you've not exactly refuted) then what is it I am supposed to be looking for.

Take into respect I've never had mummy or daddy pay for freekin university class on these subjects, so a little consideration would be nice.

Take into respect I've never had mummy or daddy pay for freekin university class on these subjects, so a little consideration would be nice.

Take into respect we have (apparently) had mummy and daddy pay for our freekin university classes on these subjects, so a little consideration on your part would be nice.

I suppose I would start by defining the matrices you gave in the correct fashion, by stating:

$$x,y,z,t= A \begin{pmatrix}1\\0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix} B \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\\1\end{pmatrix}C \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\\-1\end{pmatrix}D \begin{pmatrix}3\\0\\5\\1\end{pmatrix}$$

So

$$\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ t \end{pmatrix}= (AV_1,BV_2,CV_3,DV_3)$$

Would that be right? I am a bit weary.
That isn't coherent in any way, shape or form.

I'll just keep going, and maybe you could point out if I am wrong.

From here, my memory recollects that:

$$A \begin{pmatrix}1\\0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix} B \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\\1\end{pmatrix}C \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\\-1\end{pmatrix}D \begin{pmatrix}3\\0\\5\\1\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}$$

For some reason, I recall setting the vector on the right to being zero in all column entries yes? Am I along the right track?
No.

I have explained I have never taken a class in these subjects, so to identify the ''thing'' you are wanting was down a certain path I learned to find them. If you are going to be awkward, forget it.
You claim you understand things about Hilbert spaces, inner products, quantum states etc, so this stuff you should be able to do. The ability to do these things is implicit when someone says they can do things in Hilbert spaces or quantum mechanics. If you can't even write down a coherent equation then it undermines all your claims you've got an understanding of Hilbert spaces or the Dirac equation.

Your mistakes are even deeper than that, the expressions you give are not even mathematically meaningful. A linear combination is the sum of things, ie you should have written down $$A \begin{pmatrix}1\\0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}+ B \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\\1\end{pmatrix}+C \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\\-1\end{pmatrix}+D \begin{pmatrix}3\\0\\5\\1\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}$$, the expression $$A \begin{pmatrix}1\\0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix} B \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\\1\end{pmatrix}C \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\\-1\end{pmatrix}D \begin{pmatrix}3\\0\\5\\1\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}$$ is meaningless.

Do you, or do you not recognize the mathematical path I was taking above? Does one not use the path I did to identify linearly independant vectors, which is a basis!!?? I know of the mathematical proceedure I used before, when I began to learn about them, if there is a much easier way to identify them, then, you are my guest. But don't sit there and patronize me for work I have never done.
Nice tactic, you spit out a few nonsense expressions and then say "Obviously you know what I mean", hoping Cpt or anyone else will think "I see how that could be reformulated into something meaningful, I'll assume he does too". No one thinks you do.

You can't simultaneously claim you've got familiarity with the things you claim and also say that! We're going on what you have posted before on things like Hilbert spaces, electromagnetism, Dirac equation etc, which directly contradicts your comments like that when you show you don't know anything about vectors or polar coordinates etc.

You'll post about high level things but when someone probes your 'knowledge' at all you come up short.

/edit

And the slickest way to work out whether or not a set of vectors are linearly dependent or not is to form a matrix from their components and then compute its rank. This tells you the dimensionality of the space spanned by the vectors. If you want to know if a set of vectors form a basis then you construct the associated square matrix and compute its determinant. If its 0 then they are not a basis, they are linearly dependent. If it is non-zero then they are linearly independent.

Last edited:
I will try this one last time.

Short answer: No, what you were doing does not make mathematical sense and is not the way you go about solving this problem. Keep trying. Like I said, the answer has been practically spoonfed to you from the start, and if you've learned enough about vector spaces to move on to inner product and Hilbert spaces, then you'd be laughing at me for giving you such a stupidly easy problem. So go ahead, laugh at me by giving me an answer to my ridiculously easy question. If you can't answer it, then just come clean with us and we can point you to where you need to start if you're actually serious about learning.

So, if you want me to continue here, then please, explain what it is you are trying to hint at, otherwise, stop trying to make me look like a fool.

Who says I'm trying to make a fool of you? You're the one who said you understand vector spaces, certainly enough to discuss some of the far more advanced concepts based on them. So feel free to show me those basis vectors whenever you're ready...

Yeah I never had daddy pay for freakin' university either, he died of cancer long before then. In any case, you don't need university classes to answer my question, I was learning this stuff from a cheap $15 paperback while I was still in high school. And if you didn't have the money to attend university but want to discuss academic subjects as if you did, why are you so opposed to being asked something a freshman student would be able to answer after his first week? In the time you've spent arguing with us in this thread alone, that time would have been more than enough to learn the prerequisites to answer my insanely easy question.

So, if you want me to continue here, then please, explain what it is you are trying to hint at, otherwise, stop trying to make me look like a fool. If you recognize the mathematical proceedure I was performing to find linearly independant vectors (which you've not exactly refuted) then what is it I am supposed to be looking for.
Knowing such a procedure is meaningless if you cannot recognize a correct result.

In either case, the question doesn't even require any use of known procedures or results (like those AN gave you). It is literally an exercise to be solved in seconds. I'll give you yet another hint: Consider the sum and difference of the two vectors in the middle of the list.

In either case, the question doesn't even require any use of known procedures or results (like those AN gave you). It is literally an exercise to be solved in seconds. I'll give you yet another hint: Consider the sum and difference of the two vectors in the middle of the list.
I don't think you need to even do that, as the set of vectors Cpt gave are such that the associated matrix has a row with 3 zeros, so you can work out its determinant in your head.

So feel free to show me those basis vectors whenever you're ready...
Careful, he might do what he did for Hilbert spaces and copy and paste a set of basic properties from another website.

And before you get hissy GD if you actually understood Hilbert spaces and didn't just do a copy and paste you'd not be in the hole you've dug for yourself in this thread.

And if you didn't have the money to attend university but want to discuss academic subjects as if you did, why are you so opposed to being asked something a freshman student would be able to answer after his first week? In the time you've spent arguing with us in this thread alone, that time would have been more than enough to learn the prerequisites to answer my insanely easy question.
He wants people to nod and say "Interesting...." when he posts his crap, he doesn't want people to scratch beneath the surface because it rapidly becomes clear he hasn't got a clue.

Why anyone would be so daft as to come to a physics site and try to BS people who actually do physics I don't know. How many times you going to dig yourself exactly the same hole GD?

I don't think you need to even do that, as the set of vectors Cpt gave are such that the associated matrix has a row with 3 zeros, so you can work out its determinant in your head.
I'm happy with that, too, but I'm not confident in GD's ability to work out the determinant of a 4x4 matrix (even if it's very simple).

Back