The Post Whatever Thread

Heat is the internal kinetic energy associated with thermal motion of atoms and molecules, that flows between bodies at different temperatures.
Technically, the internal kinetic energy is just called "internal energy" or sometimes "thermal energy".

The term "heat" tends to be reserved in Physics these days to describe energy that is transferred from a hotter body to a colder one, due to a temperature difference between them. This is distinct from "work", which is a transfer of energy due to the action of forces between bodies.

Thus, objects can't be said to "have heat". They "have" thermal energy, or internal energy. They can transfer heat to other things. They can also do work on other things by exerting forces.

Technically, the internal kinetic energy is just called "internal energy" or sometimes "thermal energy".

The term "heat" tends to be reserved in Physics these days to describe energy that is transferred from a hotter body to a colder one, due to a temperature difference between them. This is distinct from "work", which is a transfer of energy due to the action of forces between bodies.

Thus, objects can't be said to "have heat". They "have" thermal energy, or internal energy. They can transfer heat to other things. They can also do work on other things by exerting forces.
Fearing just such a lecture :biggrin:, that’s what I was trying to convey, by mentioning flow between bodies at different temperatures.

It does seem to me , though, rather unsatisfactory for modern usage not to have a concise term for the internal energy due to thermal motion.

It’s Friday the 13th, do you feel superstitious on this day? What does superstition really mean?

Definition - to have fear of the unknown or hold a belief that certain things or days or events will bring about bad luck.

Superstition has spawned intolerance and probably can be blamed for cults forming and horrific abuses due to groups buying into their specific “brand” of superstition.

But just in case, be careful out there today. :wink:

391602650_7495016783845794_519955537388070052_n.jpg

That makes no sense from an energy conservation viewpoint. The energy required to split helium is identical to that released when it formed. What you are proposing is some kind of perpetual motion, free-energy device, which is ruled out by the laws of thermodynamics. So you don't need to worry about that.
Right. Thank you.

You cannot convert more that a limited proportion of heat energy into other forms (2nd Law of TD). For instance, the most efficient thermal power generators (combined cycle) can only convert 50-60% of the input heat into electricity. The rest is waste heat. So you can never get a perpetual loop going.
Right. Current thermal power generators cannot convert 100% of input heat into electricity. There is always a good deal of waste heat.

Right. Current thermal power generators cannot convert 100% of input heat into electricity. There is always a good deal of waste heat.
Not just "current" thermal power generators. It applies to any device converting heat to another form of energy, whether now or in the future.

~Deleted post~

I forgot about Seattle’s stargazing thread under “Astronomy,” so posted my pic of the moon there.

Last edited:
Why is this site so dead? It gets an upgrade, and it becomes a ghost town. I mean, it wasn’t thriving before the upgrade, but it’s like really dead, now. 800+ “guests” lurking - they can’t all be bots. :?

Why is this site so dead? It gets an upgrade, and it becomes a ghost town. I mean, it wasn’t thriving before the upgrade, but it’s like really dead, now. 800+ “guests” lurking - they can’t all be bots. :?
Let's unpack this. Obviously we need more posts. Of course, I'm going to suggest that you start a new thread. Let's grow this site, 'nuf said...:)

Last edited:
Let's unpack this. Obviously we need more posts. Of course, I'm going to suggest that you start a new thread. Let's grow this site, 'nuf said...:)
I see what you did there.

Joking aside... I don't think it comes down to more posts. We have tried that. :confused:

From where I'm standing it's been quiet for weeks. Including you; I had begun to wonder if you'd finally wandered off in search of greener pastures.
In fact, the upgrade thread is how I'm noticing a lot of erstwhile ghosts are actaully still in the land of the living.

From where I'm standing it's been quiet for weeks. Including you; I had begun to wonder if you'd finally wandered off in search of greener pastures.
In fact, the upgrade thread is how I'm noticing a lot of erstwhile ghosts are actaully still in the land of the living.
haha @ “finally”

Yea, I’ve been busy with a photography/art hobby this year, spending time trying to make it into a small side business. *fingers crossed*

I’m surprised after the other science site closed down, that it didn’t bring some of those members this way. Pinball came over, so that’s good. I still think it has potential. It clearly has moved away from being strictly science - I’m not sure if that turns lurkers off, or if it’s more inviting that way. But there are so many “guests,” which could very well be bots, considering they’re not converting over to joining the conversations.

Back