The ABC game

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by NMSquirrel, Mar 28, 2014.

1. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Tribulus terrestris is a taprooted herbaceous perennial plant that grows as a summer annual in colder climates. The stems radiate from the crown to a diameter of about 10 cm to over 1 m, often branching. They are usually prostrate, forming flat patches, though they may grow more upwards in shade or among taller plants. The leaves are pinnately compound with leaflets less than 6 mm (a quarter-inch) long. The flowers are 4–10 mm wide, with five lemon-yellow petals. A week after each flower blooms, it is followed by a fruit that easily falls apart into four or five single-seeded nutlets. The nutlets or "seeds" are hard and bear two to three sharp spines, 10 mm long and 4–6 mm broad point-to-point. These nutlets strikingly resemble goats' or bulls' heads; the "horns" are sharp enough to puncture bicycle tires and lawn mower tires and to cause painful injury to bare feet.[7]

Umm, I'll pass on this weed.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Uncinia rubra, also known as Red Hook Sedge.

Uncinia are evergreen tufted perennials with narrowly linear leaves and dark brown flower-spikes, followed by hooked fruits

U. rubra is a tufted, evergreen, perennial sedge to 30cm, with glossy reddish-green or red-brown leaves and dark brown to black flower spikes in summer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1980

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Virginia Rose: because I can't believe we've got this far with no mention of roses!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Wisteria is one of the world's most popular climbers. This hardy plant is quick to establish itself and is ideal if you want to create shade or cover quickly in the garden.

8. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Xerophyllum

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Zigadenus Elegans, better known as Mountain Death Camus, is an unusual plant, with greenish white blossoms arranged around a slender stalk with grass like blades at the base. It is a poisonous plant and children and pets should be supervised where these plants are to be found. They tend to grow in moist locations. This plant grows on our property and I used to pull them all diligently but have since observed that my horses will not eat them and spit them out immediately if they should get one in their mouth with a bit of grass. As I have no small children about, I now tolerate them to grow for they are actually quite an elegant flower.

Choose another category, Arne, for I am always interested to learn about new subjects.

10. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Pretty as poison, and elegant, which I knew from its name. And that shall be our next challenge: binomial nomenclature, flora, fauna, fungi, what have you. Give the Latin name, a nice picture so we know what the thing actually is, an explanation if we still don't know what it is, a wise crack or two (optional).

Acinonyx Jubatus

You got the jump Madam S with Zigadenus Elegans. Good one. But here's another 'pretty dangerous' creature:

What, some of you still don't get it?

Hint: Tarzan's chimp's name.

11. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Oh, I almost forgot.

Let us proceed...

It hasn't started until the fat lady runs, to coin a phrase.

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

<beginsearch:fakefatlady,identify,delete,endprogram>

13. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

When traveling the Alaska Highway, you may encounter Bison as they enjoy grazing in the road allowance and sometimes even travel along the road. When taking photos, do not use a flash and do not make eye contact with these animals, especially the bulls.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  14. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, I can't see your picture of bison bison. Did I mention you get extra points for a double same name like that? Even more for a triple one.

Anyway, I've got Crocodilia Niloticus

This picture reminds me of the part of Kipling's story, The Elephant's Child' in which "filled with insatiable curiosity" the young pachyderm journeys to the banks of the great gray-green greasy Limpopo River, and he asks Crocodilia Niloticus what he has for breakfast. To which the latter replies,"Come here, and I'll whisper it to you."

15. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

16. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Equus caballus, more commonly known as the horse, has been a part of human experience for thousands of years, first as a food source and once domesticated, as a major source of transportation and power. Even today, we use the term 'horsepower' to define the amount of work that an engine is capable of. The following picture is one of my own horses, taken a few months ago.

(I have edited the bison image and hope it shows now. Thank you for making me aware.)

17. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Yes, I can see it now. Oh... so Bison Bison is a buffalo! Because it repeats the word 'bison' twice I naturally assumed...

Next up is Fregata magnificens

The Magnificent Frigate bird, which is needless to say, a frigate bird known for its magnificence.

18. heytogi Registered Member

Does that plant grow in colder climate, like in quebec canada (#3 for climate)?
    Thank you!

19. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Which plant do you mean? #3 where?

20. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I am not sure which plant they are asking about though, as a gardener, I interpret the #3 to refer to hardiness zone.

21. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

There actually is a species that goes by three names and that would be Gorilla gorilla gorilla or the Western lowland gorilla. I get how many extra points, lol?

22. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Homo sapiens sapiens

What? Raquel Welch isn't human?

23. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Raquel has frequently been compared to Marilyn Monroe for the title of 'world's sexiest woman.' Here is a photo of her from 2012, which makes her appear a little more human, although she is 71 in this photo and not too many ladies of that vintage could give her a run for the money.