| symbol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectrum

Registered Senior Member
How do I get the | symbol in msdos. Anyone know? All help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Try Shift + \
yes, this works in windows. you need to boot to dos to see if it still works.
i don't have a floppy drive in this machine but i DO have an old bootable CD with winME on it. i'll scrounge it up and see.

How do I get the | symbol in msdos. Anyone know? All help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

This is the piping symbol. Use it to redirect output from one program to StdIn of another program. The second program is usually a filter or search program.

yes, this works in windows. you need to boot to dos to see if it still works.
i don't have a floppy drive in this machine but i DO have an old bootable CD with winME on it. i'll scrounge it up and see.

just go to programs->accessories->command prompt

Try Shift + \
this produces the same symbol as on my keyboard, two vertical slashes not a vertical line. the alt+124 doesn't produce anything. this could be because this combination is used in batch files. i booted to dos from my winME cd and am using an american english keyboard layout.

Two verticle slashes is the same character as one verticle line. The pipe. Just different fonts.

If you just want the pipe (usually a broken vertical line in text only screens), use Shift+\.

Character 179 is a vertical line in extended ASCII. Hold Alt, type 179 on the keypad, release Alt. Or use CHR$(179) or similar if you're programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back