Sciforums

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Avatar, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Might I suggest a 'delusion' subforum?

1. If a thread starter issues a claim without evidence then off the thread goes to the delusion subforum and the thread starter gets a delusion infraction.

2. If a thread participant issues a claim without evidence then he gets a delusion infraction.

3. Upon 'n' delusion infractions, a person's posting is restricted to the delusion subforum for some number of days.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Since when is engagement in a discussion trolling? I was going with the flow of the conversation, now you butt in.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

You're missing the point, and proving mine in the process.

First, you're missing the point because leopold is aparently saying that because we've been trying for so long and faiing, obviously it must be impossible. This is quite a foolish contention, as I've pointed out in two different examples.

Second, you're proving my point becaue if we can't cure cancer after having spent so much time working on it, how should we expect to make life in a test tube after only 50 years (leopold's estimate) of trying?

So the question remains---how long should we work on a problem before we throw our hands up and claim it is impossibe?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

the fact of the matter is as long as the results are elusive then all possibilities are, well, possibilities. do you agree?

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

no, that isn't what i've been saying

the miller experiment was conducted in 1953.
    i take that as a start date.

9. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Asking a troll to stop.

Can we also find you at the beach trying to sweep back the incoming tide?

Just ban him already! And also ban Sandy while you're at it for being the most devisive troll on SciForums. And also leoplod99 if he continues to bang on and on and on and on and on and on and on about abiogenesis not being "proven". These simple actions will noticably improve SciForums.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

suck it hercules.
    post the evidence that abiogenesis has been proven.

11. sandy Banned Banned

I AM NOT A TROLL OR A SOCK PUPPET. STOP CALLING ME THAT!

12. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Good job, the lazy ad hom'ers need sorting out good un proper.

13. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Yeah the problem is this wouldnt be a scienceforum anymore if that's how this place started opperating (dangerously close to opperating that way already though i have to say).
    The problem is much as people dont really like it, all theories start out as small seeds of ideas without a shred of evidence to them - just a tiny little inkling.

What you basically want to do is label all original and as of yet unproved thought as delusion and draw a line under established human knowledge.

Its like complete anti-science, but it illustrates the problem with almost any science forum ive come across, they just become this sort of prop for established theories. And become havens for the intellectually impotent.

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

just because humans have failed to create life doesn't mean that the theory is wrong every failer gives more info

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Crunchy Cat, none of us perceives the objective reality as it is. We're all delusional.
    I don't think anyone has the authority to say who is delusional and who is not.

Many called Einstein delusional, and brothers Wright, and other great inventors and scientists.

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

In principle I do agree, but some solutions are better than others. That is, science should reject out of hand those solutions which require supernatural influences to get things done. The scientists (or, the logical person's) view should be that nature can be understood analytically. Otherwise science (and logic) are useless.

Perhaps you are willing to abandon these approaches. I am not.

You deserve a cigarette. Just one puff man. You know you want it.

17. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Not quite. I am fine with ideas, speculation, and hypothesis. What I am saying is that if someone claims "There is a rabid tinfoil space monkey living in my cereal bowl" then I want to see pictures.

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I mostly agree. That is why the scientific framework works on speculation, hypothesis, and theory. The models adapt as new evidence arrives. My suggestion is to route zero-evidence claims (not speculations but actual claims of truth) to a delusional depot. Consider this person for example:

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=61066

Our model of human psychology predicts with astonishing accuracy that this individual is schizoprenic and VERY delusional about his claim.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

i've sent you a PM.
    you are the type of mentality that beats on women.

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Get over yourself. You're the type of mentality that stones heretic.

21. draqon Banned Banned

Love is in the air

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

i would say that some solutions seem better.
    why?
    life from lifelessness is totally illogical. there is nothing anywhere that comes close to explaining life. yes, yes, yes, science has all these grandiose hypothesis that supposedly explains how we got here, but they fall flat on their face when put to the test.
    let me ask you ben, what is it that leads you to believe that things become alive? what logic must i follow for me to believe?
    i haven't suggested we abandon anything

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

So does anyone else has any suggestions for our new policy or plan of action?
    We already have the first draft for the policy, and the plan is also somehow shaping up, but right now it looks more like a shoggoth from the short story "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft.

— H. P. Lovecraft, At The Mountains of Madness

Shoggoths are protoplasmic entities of mutable form and are considered to be among the most frightful entities of the mythos. They look like gigantic amoebae made of tar with eyes on the surface, often depicted as able to spontaneously form body parts and organs at will. An average Shoggoth, when a sphere, was about 15 feet across, though later ones grew much larger and had greater intelligence. They reproduce through binary fission, and are commonly shown as capable of tremendous feats of strength, such as tearing apart large machinery.

The shoggoths are terrible things to behold—even the Mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred, author of the Necronomicon, was terrified by the mere thought that they might have existed at all on Earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.