Science: Explanation versus obfuscation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by DaveC426913, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Again, Dave, the make-believe is what discredits you.

That "obligation" is your own make-believe.

Point to it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

DaveC:
    In practice, there's not much of a difference. Tiassa likes to play this one up because it gives him one more excuse for not doing anything much as a moderator.

Before I was given the label "Administrator" here, I was a "Super-moderator", as was/is Tiassa. Before that, I was just a lowest-level "Moderator". Possibly, since the change of system software, there is no longer a supermod/mod distinction. I'm not really sure. What I know is that my access to the behind-the-scenes of sciforums is not much greater as an Administrator than it was as a Moderator and, if anything, a little less than the access that Tiassa and I used to have as Supermoderators.

So, Tiassa's pretence that he is somehow cowed by my amazing Administrator powers is just that.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I don't know, James, I'm pretty sure I can't arbitrarily overturn your actions eight weeks later. We have, of course, discussed this before; it is unfortunate and disappointing that you should insist on continuing to misrepresent.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yep. And since that's the bed he's carefully making for himself, he should lie in it.

But never mind as an official of the site, any person with an ounce of humility would capitulate and make nice so the site can start to heal.

That is certainly well within his 'meager' powers. (Hopefully he won't claim you control his words too.)

8. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

Does it help the matter to criticise in such a manner?

Given what you seem to expect from "any person with an ounce of humility", I assume you think that JamesR has such a measure?
    Has JamesR capitulated and made nice?
    Are you criticising him in a similar manner?
    It would certainly be well within his meagre powers to do so, wouldn't it?

As for Tiassa's criticisms of you, have you capitulated and made nice?
    Do you have an ounce of humility?
    Is it within your meagre power to do so?

Note, I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of whatever positions one may have on the underlying issues, only that this latest criticism is unhelpful and hypocritical, and seems only intended to stoke rather than quell.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

James is the injured party. He has been exercising humility by turning the other cheek to Tiassa's accusations. But it crossed a line.

How long does one just keep letting a bully wail on them in order to "keep the peace" for the sake of the household?

Yes. I have done so. I have reached out to Taissa in PMs about constructive ways to heal the site. His behavior there was exactly the same as in public - He can't do anything. And everything this is always everybody else's fault. Followed by various schoolyard-like attacks in a similar vein to his latest desperate deflection of gaslighting.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

To be clear, you filed a complaint. One of the reasons I sent you a copy of your own report is in case you didn't keep one, yourself. Whether you post that particular content here is your own choice, but if you really want me to respond to you here, yet again—since you've already put on a bit of a repeat performance, already—sure, we can do that.

11. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

I honestly see no particularly injured party.
    I do see a character clash between two Mods/Admins that erupts every now and then in front of the classroom, so to speak.
    I also see no cheek-turning, at least not in the public fora, but rather counter-accusations.
    But I may have missed things.
    After all, we only have their public displays to keep us entertained.
    If one is indeed being "wailed on" then there is no peace to keep.
    Further, is not part of the issue the matter of precisely who the "bully" is with regard this site?
    From one side, your question seems pertinent.
    From the other, it might seem to misunderstand the nature of the argument.
    But that is for them to thrash out between themselves.
    Preferably behind closed doors.
    If you say so.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Since two things can be true at the same time, it’s possible that either injured party is justified in their respective grudge. But, sometimes, it’s better to reach peaceful disagreement, than it is to be “right.”

DaveC426913 and Pinball1970 like this.