Republicans In crisis and a Nation and a Democracy on the Sacrificial Alter

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Sep 13, 2013.

?

Will Republicans Cause a Debt Default?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2014.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

After pushing so heavily to defund Obamacare and this government shut down, it looks like the Koch brothers, the guys who have financed and fomented this movement are backing away from defunding Obamacare and current Republican shenanigans in congress.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...congress-focus-on-spending-not-obamacare?lite

It looks like the Koch brothers are cutting off the branch on which they placed Republican House members.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You gotta love it! The rats are jumping ship.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Unreal?

Alright, I call bullshit.

"So you do think a default on our debt is desirable. If people in Congress share your opinion - that could explain a few things about their recent activities."

I've already given Bill a minor ration of shit on his point, but your response, Carcano, is stupid, dishonest, and rather quite telling.

Do you think a default is desirable?

For who?

You.

Under what conditions do you expect me to believe that you are so damnably illiterate that you can't figure out the question?

Really, this is such a two-bit, pulp-hack, bullshit trick I'm starting to think we need a formal rule to prohibit such lazy dishonesty.

Don't sit back and wait for Bill to hand you something you can nitpick.

It's a pretty straightforward question: Do you think default is desirable?

The question wasn't, "Do Congressional Republicans ...?" It wasn't, "Do Tea Party Republicans ...?"

The question is: Do you think a default on our debt is desirable?

And quite frankly, Carcano, if you really want us to believe that kind of illiteracy and stupidity—Bfleorgggh! Desirable for who?—in any way actually describes you or your opinions?

Seriously: Are you such a moron as your post suggests?

We will be happy to accommodate you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

There was a thunderous sound last evening, the right wing whacko birds cracked. The financiers and architects of this government shut down and debt default cracked. More specifically the Koch brothers and all the related right wing agencies they support walked away from the debt default and are encouraging Republicans to walk away from their default threats.

It is now matter of timing. Did the Koch brother crack soon enough to prevent a default? They have taken their foot off the accelerator and put it on the break. But is there enough time to stop the careening car that is the US House and prevent them from sending the nation into default and the economic morass that will follow? I guess we will see. And we will also see how much control the Koch brothers actually exert over Republicans in congress.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Do YOU think a default on our debt is desirable? (You can define 'desirable' however you like.)

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Another is that, to be able to service our debt and avoid a default, he will use executive orders to make emergency cuts in spending to stay under the limit. (Say, by cutting most of our military.) Republicans should think long and hard about whether or not they want to give him no alternative but to use that power. Because if that happens, Congress has yet again handed more of their power to the president, for a reason no more worthy than "we didn't feel like doing our jobs."

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

They made some noises about cracking on the spending limit but not on the continuing resolution to get us out of the shutdown. That's the most pressing current issue. (Agree that their sorta-agreement on the debt limit is a good thing though.)

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sick Farce

I think the really creepy thing is that they are doing their jobs. Well, okay, they think they are doing their jobs. Republicans are in a post-policy mode. Their job seems to be all about attacking a Democratic president.

And, in truth, that, more than anything is why my fury at conservatism and the GOP is running so high right now. This is a farce, and a bad one at that. This is the Republican version of the Aristocrats joke. Except, I think, they're calling it "The Patriots".

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well today, just a few minutes ago, Boehner announced his intention to pass a clean increase in the debt ceiling. It remains to be seen if he sticks to that position long enough to get an increase passed through the House.

And no the debt ceiling was not the most pressing issue. The government shut-down was less immediate. That is why the stock markets are in a full-fledged rally mode today. Now that the debt ceiling is resolved or could be resolve for the next six weeks, the next pressing issue is the government shutdown (i.e. continuing resolution to fund the government). And as time goes on it will become increasingly painful for Republicans in the House to continue to their government shutdown.

The bottom line here is that Republicans are in the process of cracking. It truly is amazing to see the influence the Koch brothers have over the Republican Party. I guess we should start referring to them as Koch Inc. Within 24 hours of Koch capitulation, the Republican Party is in full retreat.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

I doubt it. It's a sign things are heading in the right direction but I have a feeling he's not there yet. He still has to placate the Tea Party members.

Well, the government shutdown was certainly _more_ immediate, but your point is valid - that a long term shutdown will hammer away at the GOP's support base.

We shall see if the current cracks in their position turns into a "full retreat."

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Let's see how Republicans justify bailing out Wall Street by increasing the debt ceiling, but do not bailout average Joe's and Jane's by fully funding the government. Because you know that is how this recent Republican debt ceiling epiphany will be perceived by the average Joe's and Jane's. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michael chime in on that meme shortly.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I don't know Joe people are remarkably stupid. For example the polls are showing only minor blame on republicans with a general increase in political apathy (which is a win for republicans as long as most people don't vote because most people would vote with the democrats) in fact the Republican have won in the respect that no one is now talking about all the compromise the democrats have made, that the sequestration budget is final, etc, etc, now it appears democrats aren't even willing to talk despite the fact they have done far more then that in the last few years, practically leaned over and took an ass raping despite all the political power they technically have over the republicans! Why can't democrats have as much drive and determination as republicans? Oh that right because democrats are pragmatists and republicans are now insanely fanatic ideologues.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Forktongue

Update: Gainesville Newspaper Rips Yoho

Last week, some noticed escalating Republican stupidity, and it would seem that we weren't the only ones who noticed.

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL03) is pushing to force the U.S. government up against its debt limit. Amid the partisan shelling as the days pile up like a bad farce, his hometown newspaper has taken him to task for being an idiot:

Dear U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho:

It has been nearly a year since you were elected to your first term in Congress. Given your Alachua County ties and two University of Florida degrees, we were cautiously optimistic that you would have a better appreciation of our community's values and priorities than your predecessor.

We've been proven wrong so far. The latest evidence is your recent comments to The Washington Post about being one of the tea-party backed Republicans who forced a government shutdown over funding for the Affordable Care Act ....

.... Rather than give lip service to your constituents, it's time for you to listen. End the shutdown and raise the debt ceiling without resorting to blackmail. If you're so convinced that you're right, do the right thing and go through the normal legislative process rather than threatening to cause a recession to get what you want.

(The Gainesville Sun)

According to the editors, they are hearing much different things from their readers than Yoho is hearing in his office. And they were rather quite not amused by his shameless forktonguing.

Tongue job.

Oh, right, lip service.

Notes:

Editorial Board. "Editorial: Dear Rep. Yoho". The Gainesville Sun. October 8, 2013. Gainesville.com. October 11,2013. http://www.gainesville.com/article/...77/1076/opinion?Title=Editorial-Dear-Rep-Yoho

16. Bells Staff Member

Well no. What will happen is that the value of your dollar will plummet and you could face a deep recession or even a depression, which will spread around the world. You won't be able to grow your way back to surplus.

If you think that is desirable, then I would suggest you pick up some history books and read up on the last economic depression the world suffered.

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

This may clarify,

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/the-budget-and-deficit-under-clinton/

and this,
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/opinion/sunday/24sun4.html?_r=0

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I agree. In fact four years earlier than her, I was asking all to remember to call the coming depression: "GWB's Depression" for the reasons she lists plus two others GWB is responsible for and one Hitler is responsible for:

GWB1: As head of the SEC later testified before Congressional investigating committee: "GWB keep the SEC on a tight leash" So not only did Lehman get way over extended but Maddoff's Ponzi was not stopped several years earlier when 23 separate and well documented pieces of evidence were provide to the Boston Office of the SEC, by the guy and his firm who later was recognized as the real hero of that sad Ponzi.

GWB2: The tax reductions on the very wealthy, had to be made up, either by more borrowing or from the middle class (both sources were tapped). This drove up cost of opening new businesses, slowing job creations, and reducing buying power of Joe American, who was at least 2/3 of the US economy's driver. So of course the US sank into GWB's second recession near the end of his time as POTUS.

Hitler: The main cause of WWII, which took a lot of GIs away from their US wives so they were very "Horney" with it ended. That make the current wave of "Baby Boomers" now retiring at rate of about 10,000 per day. I. e. switching from being at peak of the earnings and tax paying to be collectors of Social Security with their SS checks coming from the SS trust fund. - It was growing and lending money to the government for covering expenses, but now is one more growing government expense.

BTW, the current baby boomer retirement rate was known back when GWB still had two years more as POTUS, so that was the main factor that let me set the date I predicted back then for the run on the dollar, as in October 2014. (October has a record of being the month of great financial troubles - probably at least weakly related to winter's approach and shorter days effects on human psychology.) I choose "Halloween" as the final day of when the run would start ("on or before Halloween 2014.") as it is a scary date at end of a month (pay roles to meet, etc.). I bet we "kick the can down the road to "solve" this October's financial problems. If done for a 1 year delay that would make my + or - 7% tolerance on the timing unneeded. (7% on time from prediction is more than + or - 7 months.)
    With the current troubled October, and my record of frequent success in long range predictions, perhaps some will start to take seriously my four or five year old prediction that if the US has not already collapsed economically under the weight of its growing and un-payable debts, then China will send US & EU into deep long lasting depression WHEN IT IS READY TO, by backing RMB bonds for IMF and other central banks with gold. Thus getting the advantage US has had for a couple o decades of paying for its imports with printed paper AND with US and EU too broke to be buying much in competition with China, the price of Chinese imports will be lower.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

China imports~14,000 tonnes of gold at the current rate and produces ~400 tonnes in 2013. Photo is why.

US's problems go much deeper than stupid right wing Republicans. Fundamentally, the poorly educated voters, that local funding of schools produces, make it relatively easy to "buy" their contra-self interest votes with TV sound bites, but more rapidly happening than foreseen in 1832, with unlimited production of "thin-air" fiat money (more than 1 trillion per year rate, now).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2013
  19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Desirable for me???

Yes, very much so...I live in Canada and my investments would profit from a US default.

It would also be desirable for all those investors around the world who are smart enough to understand the inevitable trajectory of the US economy.

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The value of the US dollar has been plummeting since 1971...a default simply means reaching its true value faster.

Will this be painful in the short term for the average US citizen? Yes!!!

But in the long term it will bring America's productive capacity back from exile in foreign countries...and citizens will enjoy a rebirth of the vision established by Alexander Hamilton, who created import trade tariffs to ensure the greatest era of prosperity the world has ever seen.

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

LOL, and how exactly do you think your investments will profit from a global recession or depression? I think you are going to be in for an unpleasant surprise if we should experience a global recession or depression.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

You are no doubt correct in the near term, but longer (say 5+years) the Canadian Shale oil would be flowing West in the new long pipe line to West Coast ports of Canada and building it (plus expanding all other trade with China) will help Canada prosper. In fact, if I am correct that US & EU will then be in deep long-lasting depression, Canada, Brazil, Australia, New Zeeland, and several Asian plus some African countries that sell to China (and mutually trade with Asia) will have a brief "readjustment recession" and recover well, if they don't mind becoming "economic colonies" (suppliers of low value added goods, mineral, energy, and food stocks) to Asia, especially China. Mexico, will not fare as well as US is their main market and they have little to export that Asian nations need. Mexico lives by assembling products to sell to the US but Asian nations can assemble items at least as cheaply with lower cost to distribute in Asian markets.